Will someone tell TA to quit saying HAL is for the old

airlink diva

You need to do the twist to 'In the Mood'. That would be funny.

Just play every kind (woops no rap :D ) and I'll be happy.

Now alot of the returning Mariners are in the 50-60 yrs. range, too. ( I have 90 days so far) I mostly hear the non-stop music on the Lido - restaurant and poolside.

Have fun - just keep boogie-woogie-ing:D , M.A.

"Will someone tell TA to quit saying HAL is for the old"

No. Because then it leaves room for us(we're not old) and our friends(they're not either) onboard beautiful ships with wonderful service . DH and I feel that HAL is one of the best-kept secrets of cruising and we're not about to tell too many people!!!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I know that this thread is not a new one, but I have to just express myself.

I'm so sick and tired of TA who try to place HAL in a certain market. I'm in my mid 30's and love to travel, esp crusing. Out of all the cruiselines I traveled on, HAL is at the top of my list.

I have a group of girlfriends that want to take a cruise in November (I can't go because of my trip on the Maasdam in January 2007). All except one have cruise before, but never on HAL. I suggested HAL by telling them about all the wonderful things that they will enjoy and even comparing it to the other lines that they sailed on. I also had them to check out this website and view the reviews on HAL. I told them that yes that you will have some mature people, but that's on any ship (On my cruise on Carnival in April, two of my tablemates were over 70). They all agreed to book on HAL for a fall cruise.

Guess what, the TA that they went to book the cruise with, told them no and tried to push another cruiseline. She stated that HAL ships consist of very boring narrow minded people and they would regret booking on HAL. When they told her that I and another friend sailed on HAL before and told of the wonderful time that we had, her reply was that our trips were just a fluke and not the norm. They didn't book the cruise with this TA (they wrote a letter to the management of the travel agency about her) and booked online. Now they are nervous because of this TA.

Yes HAL is a different cruise experience than the other liners, but it's for everyone, regardless of age. On my HAL cruise, I can say that the mixture of cruisers was great. I saw my share of wheelchairs and walkers, but also the ipod, tattoe cruisers.

I'm sorry, but I had to get that off of my chest

i am a TA and I agree with you about us pushing certain lines to certain clients: it isn't my place to decide what line you cruise: should I try to give you some feedback or information about a certain line, yes, but first I should ask you what you are looking for and if you do have a choice, why? Saying HAL is a bunch of old, boring people is like saying, the only people who cruise Carnival are partiers. There are certain lines that do appeal to certain types: HAL is having trouble losing the reputation as a line for the almost nursing home crowd and Carnival the party crowd. Of course there is some truth to this, but the length and time of the year has more to do with who will be sailing than the line itself. Average age for HAL: 56, almost exactly the average for Celebrity. I don't know about NCL, but would guess it would be in the same ball park, mayb a bit younger. NMNita

DH & I (mid to late 60's) were in for a surprise on our Westerdam Alaska cruise that ended 7/16/06. We've cruised Princess, Celebrity, NCL, & now just cruise HAL (but are looking at Oceania). My brother & SIL & 4 of their friends (all in early 50's) decided they wanted to cruise to Alaska & since we had done so on HAL & talk highly of HAL, they decided to cruise HAL with us.

Some of them had cruised on RCCL & liked it. I was sure to advise them of my perceived differences, although I had not cruised RCCL, in other words, my opinion, such as, quieter nite life, more elderly people, very few kids, no glitz & fancy multi story areas, better food, exceptionally smiling friendly crew, etc. I was apprehensive that they would be disappoinited.

Well......they did enjoy the cruise & loved Alaska scenery, but....I have never seen so many kids on a HAL ship or so many "younger" adults (we last sailed on HAL during the summer in 2000 to Alaska). The center Lido pool was so noisy that we never sat there to read our books or chat (which is a favorite for us). HAL marketing to the younger folks appears to be working. Not complaining, just commenting.

The Lido crew was not so smiley! Can't say as I blame them. The Lido was always crowded, often unable to find a table - that has never happened to us on a HAL ship. The salad buffet often looked like an army had run thru it!

So the TA's need to discover the differences in HAL from the school-in & school-out times! Could be the difference between :D and :eek: for some people!

Happy sailing everyone.

I too cruise with people that will not consider HAL bacause TA's told them similar stories.The TA's have never been on HAL and they keep pushing Carnival or RCCL. I figure one of these years they will conced that we all have "crossed-over" to the mature side and they will come home to HAL.
Never cruising the line and not keeping up with changes is what creates these attitudes. Many TAs either are just order takers or have very little travel experience. NMnita

"Will someone tell TA to quit saying HAL is for the old"

Please, will someone tell me what you consider to be Old?

More than what we consider old, what does the TA consider old? to most of us Old is a frame of mind plus how ones body feels, not actually age. that being said, No, those past 50 or so are not going to enjoy the music of the kids that are 20 something (again I am generalizing) Young people in their 30s are not going to listen to Frankie or Dino or even Elvis or Doris and remonise about what life was like in the 50s. So age and interests do go hand in hand to a degree. NMNita

Seems like there are two questions to ask the TA up front.

1. What cruise lines have you personally sailed on?

2. Does this agency receive special deals from, or have a special relationship with, any of the cruise lines? Which ones?

The answers will pretty much tell you how much real unbiased, well-informed help you will get from the TA.

2. Does this agency receive special deals from, or have a special relationship with, any of the cruise lines? Which ones?

The answers will pretty much tell you how much real unbiased, well-informed help you will get from the TA.

2 great questions; I am not certain all agents would answer the 2nd one honestly, maybe not even the first, but I think you would be able to tell from the look on their face. obviously we can't cruise every ship or even every line and for those of us who have been on most of them, some lines it's been years. We don't exactly get rich as agents and we only have so much time and money to travel. The idea we get all these great cruise deals is more fiction than fact. A good agent will keep in close touch with clients who have cruises a particular line in the past year or so. NMnita

Back 1996, I took my mother to Alaska on HAL's Noordam. While in the Crows Nest, the bar waiter was chatting with us and told the old joke (read with an Asian accent!) "Carnival for newly wed, Holland America for nearly dead!".

We thoroughly enjoy HAL and prefer it to all others. We're 44 and 58 and have 3 HAL cruises under our belts. When we're on vacation, we like a more laid back atmosphere, good food, and fewer kids. The service has always been great, the food good to great and the ships elegant and not too large.

:D

When I decided to do a cruise for my DH birthday I looked at HAL, Princess, and Celebrity. My TA said they were all TOO OLD for us. She said the average age was 65. She did suggest Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I told her that the average age range of HAL cruisers didn't bother me. I was going on vacation to relax. With a good book in hand. Anyway I think an experience is what you make of it and I know how to enjoy myself. Therefore we are booked on HAL for November 26, 2006 Eastern Caribbean. And I can not wait.:)

When we went to our TA, we told her we want to go to Alaska, we want to see the inside, and we want a cruise, but we do not want the pary boats that we see advertised on tv.

She listened to us, said Oh, you want HAL. She was right on. I give her credit for being able to 'read' us after about 10 minutes.

However, if someone were to walk in and state specifically what line they wanted, imo, it is totally inappropriate for the TA to ignore that and try to push the customer in another direction.

Seems like a good time to tell this: 3 days ago I had the sci fi channel on, and saw an old Twilight Zone. LOL It was about an old cruise ship, the Lady Anne, on her last voyage. A young couple boarded, but only after repeatedly being told by many many very old passengers that there must have been a mistake.

IN the end, the young couple was put on a life boat to get to their destination, and the ship, with all her passengers ( who were all very old loyal past cruisers) was never heard of again. See, they took the cruise because she was being retired. They wanted to go with her.

(insert Twilight Zone music)

They never said the cruise line though I chuckled as it reminded me of the conversations here about HAL's older cruisers.

On the last evening of my cruise, I had the extreme pleasure of a 15 minute conversation with a wonderful lady, who was in her 80's. She was spunky, she was sharp, she had grace and a wonderful sense of humor, and we actually had a lot in common. I so wish I had met her earlier, I feel we could have become good friends.

DH and I sailed on Carnival this year in March and April and there were many "mature" and elderly couples sailing, not just young people! All ages were represented. We have also sailed on HAL and are doing so again this December. Again, all ages were on the HAL ship! I think the TA's must receive better commissions from Carnival, etc. than HAL. We stopped using TA's years ago when we could start booking our own trips on the Internet -- I got tired of them not being as informed about things and telling us we couldn't do this and we couldn't do that and then finding out, gee, I guess we could do this and we could do that. Pushing some cruise lines over others is very unfair to the customer, especially in this case when the reason seems untrue these days. Valid reasons are good.

Carnival - 1995, 1998, 2006, 2006

HAL - 2004, 2006

NCL - 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003

Royal Caribbean - 2002

I'm so sick and tired of TA who try to place HAL in a certain market. I'm in my mid 30's and love to travel, esp crusing. Out of all the cruiselines I traveled on, HAL is at the top of my list.

I have a group of girlfriends that want to take a cruise in November (I can't go because of my trip on the Maasdam in January 2007). All except one have cruise before, but never on HAL. I suggested HAL by telling them about all the wonderful things that they will enjoy and even comparing it to the other lines that they sailed on. I also had them to check out this website and view the reviews on HAL. I told them that yes that you will have some mature people, but that's on any ship (On my cruise on Carnival in April, two of my tablemates were over 70). They all agreed to book on HAL for a fall cruise.

Guess what, the TA that they went to book the cruise with, told them no and tried to push another cruiseline. She stated that HAL ships consist of very boring narrow minded people and they would regret booking on HAL. When they told her that I and another friend sailed on HAL before and told of the wonderful time that we had, her reply was that our trips were just a fluke and not the norm. They didn't book the cruise with this TA (they wrote a letter to the management of the travel agency about her) and booked online. Now they are nervous because of this TA.

Yes HAL is a different cruise experience than the other liners, but it's for everyone, regardless of age. On my HAL cruise, I can say that the mixture of cruisers was great. I saw my share of wheelchairs and walkers, but also the ipod, tattoe cruisers.

thats what my Ta told us:confused: and we did saw older crowd going on HAl ships in ports,but I am shure TA sometimes is too much ....

We talk to one who told us we should not cruise Costa its not a good line(thats after 3 times my DH told her we been on Costa and loved it))):D

So I guess people should try first than make a statements:p

When I decided to do a cruise for my DH birthday I looked at HAL' date=' Princess, and Celebrity. My TA said they were all TOO OLD for us. She said the average age was 65. She did suggest Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I told her that the average age range of HAL cruisers didn't bother me. I was going on vacation to relax. With a good book in hand. Anyway I think an experience is what you make of it and I know how to enjoy myself. Therefore we are booked on HAL for November 26, 2006 Eastern Caribbean. And I can not wait.:)[/quote']

Not 65, your agent needs to brush up: I am just now finishing another work book to get my annual certification: 56 according to HAL. I would have to trust them. LOL

Frankly, I think it's important to ask a TA if they have cruised the lines they are talking about. In talking to some TA's, it's clear that I have far more experience on cruising as they have never cruised or just taken a 3 dayer.

I guess my teens and I fit into that group of "very boring narrow minded people", as my teens just love HAL! ;) ;)

I just wanted to put my 2cents in on this one. I booked with HAL this past March on the Maasdam with my Mother (I in my early 40's and her in her early 70's). Reason I chose this was a more sophisticated cruise for her and more people her age. Boy was I wrong. Alot of people my age and more children then I thought. I thought this was going to be a cruise for my Mom. It was a cruise for Both of Us. I have a Carnival under my belt and she had also a Carnival and Italian Line under hers. I could not have made a better choice. She compared HAL to the Italian Line. Now I am afraid to book on adifferent line. As far as HAL not having all the activities and late night atmospher - If I want that I'll stay home. At my age I have been there did that. The Crows Nest was hopping on our cruise and there was a huge group at the aft pool - Louder then Heck. Hey they were having a good time. Thats what its about. I enjoyed everyone on the cruise. I think I ran into 2 grumpy passangers :mad: the whole cruise. It didn't effect me. We were up early every day - I couldn't keep my eyes open past midnight most nights. I want to keep Hals Secret. If too many people know what I know - They just may ruin it. My mother still keeps talking about HAL. I am trying to get DH to go next with my 9 year old and would not forget my mother. I am sold on HAL, to me this is the only cruise line.

LOL ... exactly. Some agencies have "sweetheart deals" with certain cruise lines. They book a lot of business on them so they get a higher than normal commission for booking that preferred line rather than another. So, this TA could possibly be steering you to the line that pays her the greatest rate of commission. Also, the agency she works for could have group space booked on a particular sailing. Group space does not always mean a unified group ... it's just a block of cabins the agency holds as group space. If she can get her clients on that particular sailing, she gets special "brownie points" from her agency. Of course, steering clients to the agency's preferred cruise line in order to earn a greater commission is short-term thinking. If she puts clients on a cruise that doesn't suit them, she might make a slightly larger commission, but she'll lose the future business of a potentially lucrative client. If she's a savvy agent, she'll realize this and make her recommendations with their best interests at heart. Sadly, though, many agents are capable of this long-range mode of thinking.

It is precisely because of these possible "conflict of interests" issues that I always get input from several sources if I am considering a different type of cruise experience from what I am used to.

Blue skies ...

--rita

LOL ... exactly. Some agencies have "sweetheart deals" with certain cruise lines. They book a lot of business on them so they get a higher than normal commission for booking that preferred line rather than another. So, this TA could possibly be steering you to the line that pays her the greatest rate of commission. Also, the agency she works for could have group space booked on a particular sailing. Group space does not always mean a unified group ... it's just a block of cabins the agency holds as group space. If she can get her clients on that particular sailing, she gets special "brownie points" from her agency. Of course, steering clients to the agency's preferred cruise line in order to earn a greater commission is short-term thinking. If she puts clients on a cruise that doesn't suit them, she might make a slightly larger commission, but she'll lose the future business of a potentially lucrative client. If she's a savvy agent, she'll realize this and make her recommendations with their best interests at heart. Sadly, though, many agents are capable of this long-range mode of thinking.

It is precisely because of these possible "conflict of interests" issues that I always get input from several sources if I am considering a different type of cruise experience from what I am used to.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita, you are right about both: possible higher commissions and or group booked space. I guess I am just too honest. I never think about the commission when I am selling travel. Do I as soon as it is booked? You bet and sometimes I think darn I wish they had booked such and such vacation or lines, better commission, but my job is to help my clients have a memorable vacation; pleasant memories. NMnita

I just wanted to put my 2cents in on this one. I booked with HAL this past March on the Maasdam with my Mother (I in my early 40's and her in her early 70's). Reason I chose this was a more sophisticated cruise for her and more people her age. Boy was I wrong. Alot of people my age and more children then I thought. I thought this was going to be a cruise for my Mom. It was a cruise for Both of Us. I have a Carnival under my belt and she had also a Carnival and Italian Line under hers. I could not have made a better choice. She compared HAL to the Italian Line. Now I am afraid to book on adifferent line. As far as HAL not having all the activities and late night atmospher - If I want that I'll stay home. At my age I have been there did that. The Crows Nest was hopping on our cruise and there was a huge group at the aft pool - Louder then Heck. Hey they were having a good time. Thats what its about. I enjoyed everyone on the cruise. I think I ran into 2 grumpy passangers :mad: the whole cruise. It didn't effect me. We were up early every day - I couldn't keep my eyes open past midnight most nights. I want to keep Hals Secret. If too many people know what I know - They just may ruin it. My mother still keeps talking about HAL. I am trying to get DH to go next with my 9 year old and would not forget my mother. I am sold on HAL, to me this is the only cruise line.

Glad you enjoyed HAL: we can't wait for our November cruise and yes, they are pushing for younger passengers and families. That being said: your March experience was probably an exception. You normally do not see lots of kids on HAL; more than in years past, but not lots. Spring break season every ship and vacation spot in the world is thick with kids. NMNita

Dear Airlink Diva,

I happen to be a TA and I am all for cruising HAL. I am 40 and I am choosing to sail on the Westerdam with my husband who will be 40, in February.

Their service is fantastic and food out of this world. Plus, their staterooms are very large. HAL is well worth the money.

GOOD FOR YOU!

I just got off of the ms Amsterdam. Lets face it, Holland boats are just floating nursing homes. There were a couple of older guys that I was surprised survived the 10 days. I don't think there were more than a handful of teenagers. I'm in my early 40's and felt quite young on this boat. I'm glad the TA's are telling people the way it is.

I just got off of the ms Amsterdam. Lets face it, Holland boats are just floating nursing homes. There were a couple of older guys that I was surprised survived the 10 days. I don't think there were more than a handful of teenagers. I'm in my early 40's and felt quite young on this boat. I'm glad the TA's are telling people the way it is.
Acouple things to consider here: 1-Alaska is not the sight most chose when sailing with families though it is becoming more popular and next, if agents keep stressing the age factor the image will never change. Did you read the comments from families that have cruised with kids on HAL? I said this earlier, of course, like Celebrity, HAL isn't as family friendly as RCI and NCL but it is changing each year. About 7 years ago we did Alaska on NCL. With us was our daugher, son in law and a grandchild who was 12. I think she was the only child on the ship and yes, there were several who were not particularly mobile to put it mildly but this isn't all HAL ships. I don't expect to see many kids on our 10 day canal trip late in November either, this isn't the type of cruise that attracts families, but try HAL Christmas week. NMNita

Ok ... time to shoot my mouth off. :)

1. HAL does attract an older-than-average crowd. Mid 50s.
  2. I have been on some HAL cruises where "floating nursing home" might properly characterize it.
  3. I have been on some HAL cruises where young couples, families, etc., were in abundance (Alaska 2003, Westerdam 2005)
  4. I have watched, over the past 12 years, as HAL average age seems to be creeping downward.
  5. I LOVE Glenn Miller and the other greats of the Big Band Era.

All of this being said, no TA should ever so pejoratively characterize a cruise line or cruise passengers. Also, if a TA hasn't been on more than just one HAL cruise, that TA should refrain from making personal opinions about it.

I went into a Brick & Mortar TA the other month to get a quote on the Noordam Jan 6, 2007 cruise. The instant I finished asking the TA for what I wanted he proceeded to try and convince me that I didn't want to go on the Noordam, or any HAL ship, that they were all floating geriatric wards, and that if I wanted a REAL cruise with people my age I should try RCCL or Carnival. Ignoring my protests, he than began to rummage through a file cabinet looking for brochures. While he was doing this, I turned to leave ... only to be intercepted by another TA who got up from her desk and rushed over to block my exit.

I told her why I was leaving, and she got red in the face and turned to the other TA. "Don't you recognize him from his avatar!? This is RevNeal from Cruise Critic! He knows perfectly well that he likes Holland America and has cruised more than you have. If you don't want him, I'll take him." And, with that, I sat down with her and she gave me a quote. It was WAY TOO high, but it was good to have a comparison.

And ... if she's reading this thread now ... thank you for your help, and for setting your TA compatriot straight.

Archived