What's going on in FL Jan 13th?

spikewpg

I'm just looking at booking a pre-cruise hotel in Fort Lauderdale for Sat. Jan 13th and I noticed that the hotel rates appear higher than normal. Is there some big conference or event going on this weekend? Or is it just normal high season pricing and it's so early now that prices haven't come down yet until the hotels determine their occupancy? I'm going to use Priceline anyway but was just curious.

Hotel prices and occupancy rates go up starting in late Nov and stay up until after spring break finishes usually in April. Those are the months that see peak numbers of snow birds here in the sunshine state. You may still be able to find some better rates but some popular hotels are able to get close to rack rates during those months.

Have a great next cruise.

Next January and early February prices in Ft. Lauderdale and Miami are sky high due to the Super Bowl being held in Miami the first weekend in February. Hotel rooms have been booked for months by the media and other groups, so there is little availability, and the hotels have no incentives to offer deals.

I knew the superbowl was on but that's not until Feb 4th. To me that means the earliest anyone would show up would be two weeks before on the 21st. I guess that means that anyone who normally would take holidays around that time may be pushing them back to early January, hence the higher prices. Oh well, I'll hunt something down that's reasonable. We won't get to the hotel until midnight anyway and up early so we won't need the Taj.:D

I'm just looking at booking a pre-cruise hotel in Fort Lauderdale for Sat. Jan 13th and I noticed that the hotel rates appear higher than normal.

Are you going to have a car? If so, you might want to look away from the Ft Lauderdale city & Port Everglades area. There's a Motel 6 in Pompano Beach (just a few miles north of Ft L) for $69, or a Ramada on State Road 7 near Commercial Blvd for $79 (through Orbitz).

January 13th is my 60th birthday and they are having a big party for me and thus the entire city of Miami is shut down! Only teasing . . . I'll be on the Triumph with my son to celebrate my 60th on January 13th . . . :D

I ran into the same problem with the last weekend of February in FLL. Rates are high which is to be expected during that time of year. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and just pay it. I finally booked the FLL Grande(former Marriott Marina) which is a property that I am familiar with for $319.00 a night. I consider that a deal since LaQuinta and Holiday Inn Express near by were going for $250.00 a night. I didn't try Priceline or any of the other hotel sites but that may be your best bet for getting a better deal. Good luck. :)

Another thing to consider....If we get hit with another devastating hurricane this year and the hotels are needed for residents, construction workers and insurance adjusters the squeeze for a room at a decent rate is going to be even tighter. Book whatever you can now, you can always cancel it if you find a better deal later. ;)

A very good point that I hope (knock on wood) doesn't happen. I just booked the America's Best Inn FL South for one night to have something in the bag and then I'll keep trying priceline as time gets closer.

Archived