My MS Rotterdam review

Gerd

Hello all,

following closely the threat from "dakrewser - Prinsendam - the bad parts" today a would put my review from my just finished "Viking and Czars Cruis" on the MS Rotterdam.

Well, the Vessel, Stewards (bars, table and cabin), Stuff, Food and Itineraries were like expected and well appreciated as on all our other cruises.

I do not say more, because all of us know, why we go to HAL !!!!

But there was a number of unusual happens, which was really not seen before and unlikely then "HAL a Signature of Excellence"……?!?

* Starting already on the cruise port at Rotterdam – the Netherlands.

The check-in was really a mess. The different stages of pre-checking was fancy organized and did not work at its best – no really, it did not.

First we "learned" that the immigration online registration was not helpful for them, because almost 60% did it. ==> I really don’t understand, that computerized pre-registration cannot be helpful, and should also considerable shorten the embarkation procedure…….

Ones we was in the last lounge, just in front of the counter, and while waiting that our number appears, almost 1/3 of new passengers by-passed us, for not really understood reason.

Finally on the counter we learned, that our Web-registration was for 3 of 4 of our party not available on the computer ?? So one was obliged to re-type all the necessary parts manually into the computer.

And why that in a European embarkation port, the Passport reader cannot read correctly European Passport, but very well US ones, is also a mystery for me ?????

After that, the entering procedure was as usually – finally we where on board after more then 3 hours waiting.

*Ones on board, the organization problems did continue.

We had to re-fill our disembarking parameters, a questionnaire concerning our Mariner status, our Credit Card data’s, and almost at each port, the real "all aboard" was different then mentioned in the cruise brochure, different even to the daily brochure and also different to the each morning on the Gangway mentioned time - usually it was later, but in Warnemuende, it was 2 hours shorter.

And finally, the pre-ordered cabin flours were not there….

The from my spouse so awaited "Long Stem Roses" was finally late at the evening delivered, but as really short ans small ones, and they where dead already 4 days later !!!

If one know, that almost 75% of the world flower marked comes from this country – it was a shame ?? => The Roses from Vancouver are unbeatable.

*I always recognized on the HAL Vessels, that there are some parts that are not really European like, and I have mentioned this on all disembarkation questionnaires. This time I did supplementary talk with the cruise director. His answer was not really adjuvant for me, because he was only able to mention that HAL is a Seattle based company and this is in the US – so not worldwide adapted….. After several supplementary questions, I finally asked/proposed to him, is it then not better to block the vessel access for non US citizen – his answer was "please ride it on your comments"…….

I do understand – and see while on board, that a large number of cruisers are American, but why the vessels behavior is not open to international view and sequences.

And why the whole world must do those expensive long distance calls to Seattle, and not to an authorized, highly powered authority on each continent => while speaking more then only English ????

My request also was concerning the breakfast, where only US based bread is available, and not European – which one is harder, darker and not so sweet bread.

And to see on a 5 star labeled vessel, those very sweet raisin sheets as thick as 3 cm (more then 1 inch) is surprising. In Germany we call this "Arbeiter Brot" >> ”workman bread”

And on a cruise in Europe, which a really large number of European on board, why the shore excursion oblige us to listen to a English speaking tour guide is not really understandable.

And while on tour in Europe, for the picture allowance, collected inside the bus, why one only accepts Dollars is not really to follow or to comprehend. Because everywhere outside the ”Euroland” they accept with a pleasure the Euro !?!

*As mentioned above, we were ones again asked on the vessel for our disembarkation parameters.

While handle the paper over on the desk, they told us because we would stay at Copenhagen for a view days, our debarkation time was fixed for at least 10 a clock.

You can imagine our surprise, that our color and number was asked on the very first call…… So no breakfast possible, packing the stuff in a hurry, and leaving the vessel was really a mess.

But this was not the end of our adventure – ones we was a shore, we learned "because we was early flyer" our luggage was already send to the Airport………

I re-entered the vessel to check at the front desk what was going on. Did they book to our on-board-account an un-wanted, and un-needed transfer to the Airport, and why we did fill out twice our needs, but nobody was able to reed it correctly.

Finally they managed it that our luggage shows-up at our hotel.

But then again a surprise.

I have had asked for a phone number in order that I could contact them from shore. =>> The given number off course was wrong……………??!!??

Today we are a bit disappointed about our last cruise.:confused:

But because we know better, we really look forward to our next one in 7 months.

This cruise will be a double lucky for us – because we will have, while on board, our 30ts wedding anniversary, and we will pass the 100 days award level of cruising with those elegant vessels, provided by HAL.

Hope they do better,

best wishes to you all

G E R D

Our marvelous cruises :

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006

94 days - 25'425 Nm

Future Cruise :

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March, 18 2007

event.png

Thanks for taking the time to write up your review. Sorry about your disappointments. Hopefully your next "anniversary" will be better. :)

I wasn't on your cruise, but HAL is based out of Seattle in the USA. Therefore most of the passengers are probably from the USA. Therefore the tours are booked with people who can speak English, since that is what the majority of the passengers expect. I know on my Celebrity cruise to the Med all of the port tours were by natives of the countries we visited, but they conducted the tours in English. In the future I would suggest you book your own tours in the ports you visit with those who conduct tours in German. I know it is not as simple as booking with the cruiseline, but if it is important to you, and it would be to me, it is worth the effort. We had an interesting and unusual experience in Argentina during our trip there last November. We had just taken a jet boat into the Iguasso Falls and had a blast while getting soaking wet. At the end of the ride they load us into military type trucks and drove us thru the sub tropical forests and they gave us a lecture on the fawna and wildlife that lived in the park there. Amazingly the Argentinian lady on the truck, asked us what languages were spoken by the group. There were about 6 of us from the USA and about 10 that were from France, 4 from Germany, a pair of girls from Brazil that spoke Portugeese, and a couple of locals that spoke Spanish. This young woman gave the lecture pretty well in all of the languages. I was truly impressed. However, it is boring other than trying to figure out if you could understand the story at all in the other languages. It is not an optimal situation.

jc

We sailed RVI's European Capitals cruise last summer and went through the same check in problems at Civitevecchia. We, too, had to have our sign and sail cards redone after boarding.

The problem is not with the procedures or the documents, it's the personnel. They are temporary help hired locally. A ship's officer spent her day correcting computer entry errors. She constantly went from one terminal to the next helping the clerks straighten out the messes they made. They were obviously poorly trained and had no clue what they were doing. The enormous number of check in foulups caused the same kind of long and disorganized boarding lines that you had.

Having gone through an identical experience, I feel your pain, Gerd. That's no way to start a vacation!:mad:

I feel your pain, Gerd. I particularly loved the printed line on the "immigration" forms (in reality a "tell us your disembarkation plans" form) stating that it was required by the US Government! (for a trip that begins and ends in the EU).

But it is true that HAL is entirely geared towards an English-speaking clientele. Our Prinsendam cruise was almost entirely English speaking, although I'd say about 40% of the pax used English as a second language (with German, Italian, Dutch, Spanish or French as their first). Of the rest, perhaps 25-30% were American, 15% Canadian, 10% UK and the balance Australian, NZ & South African.

I am frequently embarrassed that my fellow Americans are so rarely proficient in any language other than English. Oh, a growing percentage will also know pigeon Spanish (it's almost unavoidable these days, particularly if one lives in the Soutwestern US) ... but true proficiency in languages other than our mother tongue is rare among Americans. This is unfortunate, for it only enhances our provinciality.

I am proficient in 7 languages other than English, and have studied 4 others, and Christopher (my cousin and traveling companion) knows 3 languages with varying degrees of ability, so he and I can travel and "make do" throughout most of central and South America, in Europe and in the Middle East. I know I have a gift for languages, and so does he, and this makes us somewhat unusual; however, there is NO reason why Americans cannot learn to speak at least one other language with proficiency. Sadly, our educational system is such a pathetic joke that no such requirement exists.

There is NO reason why Americans cannot learn to speak at least one other language with proficiency. Sadly, our educational system is such a pathetic joke that no such requirement exists.
"This is America; speak English." No wonder people think we are linguistic idiots, especially if we are cruisers. I am 1/8 bilingual (I can speak enough Quebecois to get by in French Canada where my family lives) and it's so enjoyable to converse to the extent I can with the natives -- probably gives them a laugh, too. :rolleyes:

btw: Has anyone noticed that all the shops in Quebec City have the same name ("Ouvert")? At least, the ones that are open.

I always feel inadequate when traveling in other parts of the world where so many folks speak at least two languages, or more. However, I do not blame it on my education but rather "isolation" in the US. (I cannot speak for schools today.)

When I graduated from high school I was very proficient in French. I could carry on conversations about almost anything, although I would guess that my grammer was not always perfect. This lasted through College when I added German. After graduation I toured Europe for two months, speaking wonderful French and just fine, but not wonderful, German. (Back then, far fewer folks there spoke English, so I got to use my French and German alot.) However, after that trip it was about 25-30 years before I was in a situation again where French or German were used, except for a week in Montreal. Disuse had taken its toll big time, and I mean big, big time.

Looking back, I wish I had developed opportunities to speak French and German on a regular basis, but honestly unless I joined with a group specifically formed for such a purpose I do not know how I could have done it. Sad but true.

Now, I do not know about young people today, but I know that I did learn the languages, but have forgotten them.

From a practical point, if in school today one of my foreign languages would be American Sign Language. For that I would have more day to day use. But, that too would be lost without regular practice. I can finger spell, but that is certainly a laborous way to communicate.

Tom C:

Ah, but have you noticed that if you wander around very early in the morning, all the shops have changed their name to "Ferme"? ;)

Thanks for using your francais in la belle provence! Having travelled there, I know it is appreciated.

CoconutFish:

When I get to Halifax on the way up, I change enough of my money to Canadian, use kilometers and celsius and, in PQ, speak whatever French I can muster (not mustard) up. It is respect for the country and the province. Also, not all shopkeepers speak English.

Wander, you might want to look into the Rosetta Stone software. It's an excellent language tutor program for use on your computer ... it is EXCELLENT. It will help you to regain at least some degree of proficiency in the languages you have studied. I use their software regularly to refresh my German and my Russian, and I'm using it to introduce myself to Dutch. My Latin, Greek, and Hebrew get used frequently enough that I don't need to drill myself with such programs.

You kind find information about their software packages here:

http://www.rosettastone.com/en/?a=b

Thank you for the suggestion Revneal. I will look into it. I do like to try to speak in French and German so refreshers would be great.

The last few times I have been in France, I have tried to use my French but the folks find it easier to speak English, assuming they know it, than to struggle with my slow French vocabularly and awful grammer. They do seem to like that I try, however.

however, there is NO reason why Americans cannot learn to speak at least one other language with proficiency. Sadly, our educational system is such a pathetic joke that no such requirement exists.

Wow, Greg! This is the most intolerant I've ever seen you on any issue!

As one who is not at all gifted when it comes to languages (except computer languages, does that count?), I am quite happy with the fact that I live in the dominant country with the dominant culture of this planet. Yes, I do try to pick up a few key phrases in the local dialect when traveling abroad, but you will notice that of all those bilingual folks all over the world, one of the languages they speak is ENGLISH.

Now back to the original point of the thread, I do have to ask Gerd why he was so surprised at the American-centric nature of the experience after taking so many other HAL cruises. The boarding and disembarkation troubles are certainly problematic, and should be addressed by HAL. But I suspect that one reason so many Americans cruise with HAL overseas is because of the comfort they have knowing the experience will be the one they're used to. This includes shore excursions as well as the menu, although I have certainly seen local specialties added in overseas ports of call.

Hello CC community,

Many thanks for your comments and remarks.

While reading your answers, first I was wondered. But after re-reading my review I have to say, I did a huge mistake in the manner how I wrote my review.

First of all, I do speak and write good enough for all circumstances in quite several languages. Because I work in an international business environment, my primary languages are English, French, Dutch and German. Between those 4 ones, I “switch over” in a constant manner, all over the day.

=> But off course, I do so with some grammatical errors, except in German!

Supplementary, I can also help me very well in Italian and Spanish and finally with a bit of Polish……..

So please understand, that my remarks concerning English was a global one, but was especially “triggered” because we met a lot of peoples who was not able to do so.

I.e. French and South American peoples, where we were busy - with pleasure, in a constant manner to translate for them.

And because I live in France since almost 26 years, I was obliged to learn quickly, that French peoples do not speak other language then the Molière one ! Only highly international business linked peoples speak and understand English.

I’m also sensible about languages behaviour because our Twin friends, travelling together with us, are not familiar with English.

Because my language horizon, and my 8th cruise with HAL, I’m not surprised at all about the English spoken atmosphere on there vessels, but I’m still a bit surprised, that HAL do not do any efforts to make happy ALL passenger a board those marvellous ships !!

As an example, please try for explanation in foreign languages in the Dining Room, and you know about what we are talking….

But the manner the Cruise director answered me, and with the “help” of the “dominant” statement of “iceman93” I learn why it is so – very strange for me, but I learn. But I’m really surprised because you say, all over the world peoples are bilingual folks, and that one of the two languages is in any case always English !?!

I don’t want to go further in, but the language problem was only a part of my review.

The persistent technical, and organisation failure on the vessel was new for me, and bothers me really. Should I not expect on a so-called “flag-ship” an excellent service and treatment ?? Or must I today admit, that one pay a lot of money for to receive a pour or fancy service ??

Best regards and smooth cruising

G E R D

Our marvelous cruises :

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006

94 days - 25'425 Nm

Future Cruise :

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March, 18 2007

event.png

:)

ger 77

tomc: How big IS the city of Sortie? All along the highways there are signs pointing to Sortie.
It must be a h*ck of a big place, because it had its own signs in the airport.

"But the manner the Cruise director answered me, and with the “help” of the “dominant” statement of “iceman93” I learn why it is so – very strange for me, but I learn. But I’m really surprised because you say, all over the world peoples are bilingual folks, and that one of the two languages is in any case always English !?!

I don’t want to go further in, but the language problem was only a part of my review.

The persistent technical, and organisation failure on the vessel was new for me, and bothers me really. Should I not expect on a so-called “flag-ship” an excellent service and treatment ?? Or must I today admit, that one pay a lot of money for to receive a pour or fancy service ??"

:)

Gerd, vous avez raison (you're right.) On a so-called flag-ship of the line you should expect excellent service and treatment. I regret to learn of your experience on Rotterdam.

As for you, Iceman 93, I hope you enjoy your dominance while it lasts. Latin remained in use long after the fall of the Roman Empire. Mandarin Chinese is actually the most widely spoken language in the world at the moment. I wonder, in what language will most of the world's people be communicating a few centuries from now?

And as an addendum: There are a lot of towns in Germany named "Ausfahrt". It's one of my favorite words in the world!

On HAL ships we have always seen Dining Room menus and the daily faxed news in both German and French editions.

Perhaps other languages are available, also. One would suppose Dutch would be a prime choice.

Does one have to ask for these or are they automatic, based on nationality/home address?

As a European (English speaking) who is on the same cruise on the same ship - 27th July I have found Gerd's report and comments really depressing. I knew HAL was American but I didn't realise that only Americans are made welcome. I believe Microsoft is American but they make their software work in Europe, Ford is American and their cars work here too. Has HAL a problem?

Oh dear I now view Friday with apprehension.:(

Hello all,

And while on tour in Europe, for the picture allowance, collected inside the bus, why one only accepts Dollars is not really to follow or to comprehend. Because everywhere outside the ”Euroland” they accept with a pleasure the Euro !?!

event.png

Sorry Gerd,

I have to disagree with you here. While in England recently, I was shopping with a friend and when she went to pay for her purchases she mistakenly handed over a Euro (along with the other coins). She was very politely told "sorry Maam, we don't accept Euros". So I would suggest that if you are in the British Isles you don't try to use Euros. Of course, in the Republic of Ireland that is their currency so you would be okay.

Oh, and for Pete's sake don't try to use Euros in the U.S. - the vast majority of us, myself included (except for that quick glimpse), have never even seen a Euro.:D

I am so sorry to hear about your problems, expecially those regarding embarkation. It reminded me of a Ryndam cruise (San Diego to Rio) where those of us with cabins on Main Deck also stood in line for at least 3 hours because there was a malfunction with the computer used to check in Main Deck passengers. In a city the size of San Diego (approaching 3 million I believe) one would think that they could find another computer somewhere.:rolleyes:

I hope sincerely that your next HAL cruise will be easier for you.

Au revoir, auf wiedersehn, tot ziens, ciao, hasta luego and sampai jumpa lagi,*

Valerie:)

* I only wish that I spoke all those languages fluently, but at least I know a few words in each. My French, like Wander's was once fluent but is now sadly lacking after 40 years of non-usage.:o

As a European (English speaking) who is on the same cruise on the same ship - 27th July I have found Gerd's report and comments really depressing. I knew HAL was American but I didn't realise that only Americans are made welcome. I believe Microsoft is American but they make their software work in Europe, Ford is American and their cars work here too. Has HAL a problem?

Oh dear I now view Friday with apprehension.:(

No Obel,

HAL does not have a problem, and since you are English speaking then you are way ahead of the game.

One would assume that, considering their name, HAL is a Dutch company but that is not so. The ships are registered in Holland but the company is headquartered in Seattle. The majority of the ships' officers are Dutch and the staff is mostly Indonesian or Filipino. The Cruise Staff, the Casino Staff and the Shops' Staff come from all over the world, however the majority of them have English as their first language. With such a diverse group, and bearing in mind that the majority of HAL's passengers also have English as their first language then English is the language of choice (or necessity) aboard the ships, and all are welcome - not just Americans.

If you are going to board the ship expecting to find the worst then you will probably manage to find the worst somewhere. However, if you board the ship telling yourself that you are going to have a great cruise then you will probably have a great cruise.

Don't "borrow trouble" and go ahead and have a wonderful time.

Valerie:)

As for you, Iceman 93, I hope you enjoy your dominance while it lasts. Latin remained in use long after the fall of the Roman Empire. Mandarin Chinese is actually the most widely spoken language in the world at the moment. I wonder, in what language will most of the world's people be communicating a few centuries from now?

No doubt! I completely agree with you, and wouldn't be surprised if it takes quite a bit less than a few centuries for American dominance to fade. But in a purely selfish, short-term view, as I said in my last post, I am quite happy (and consider myself quite lucky) to live in the US of A.

Well Iceman,

I don't want to get into any kind of war of words with you and MAM, but I have to agree with you here: I consider myself to be truly blessed to live here in the good old United States of America.

I was not born in the U.S., but have lived here for more than two thirds of my life and the day that I was sworn in as a citizen of the U.S. was truly the proudest and happiest day of my life. Well, it may have to share "happiest" with the day my husband and I were married, but it certainly will always be the proudest day of my life.

Valerie - American and proud to be one.:)

By the way, I am originally from Britain. The sun has definitely set on the British Empire, arguably one of the greatest Empires in history, but at least the mother tongue - English is still alive and kicking.;)

One of the reasons we so enjoy cruising in Europe is that, at the end of the day, we are home. I can certainly appreciate the frustration when the shoe is on the other foot.

Note to Middle-aged Mom ( from another): Just the other day, DH and I were speculating about which language would dominate the world in 100 years-and concluded it would be Spanish and then concluded that our conclusion was heavily influenced by what we see/hear in the USA, today. How often so many of us forget there is a big world out there and we are only a small part of it.

Archived