What should hubby pack for NewEng/Canada cruise

annfi

We are excited to be going on our first HAL cruise soon (Boston to Montreal). I apologize if this question has been asked and answered many times. I did attempt a search. Thought I would start on this forum ( I know the Cruise Fashion and Beauty tips forum is very helpful as well).

Our cruise has:

2 Formal

1 Informal

4 Casual

Hubby has a dark suit for the formal nights.

Should he also take blue sport coat and slacks - would that be what is worn

on "informal" night? For one night not sure it is worth it.

Does it work to just wear a dress shirt and tie?

Casual - do dockers and polo shirts work?

We have long air flights and are traveling for a week afterwards including

rental cars and a bus so want to just pack one suitcase each and a carryon.Thanks for your help and advice!

Annfi,

I posted a similar questions for the same itinerary, but mine was more weather related. My husband usually packs a dark suit (to wear twice for formal night), 5 pressed dress shirts, 5 ties, and a few pairs of pants to coordinate with those. My husband is always "more than comfortable" in shirt and tie with no jacket on the informal and casual nights and we are sticklers to confirming with the rules of dressing for dinner on our trips. We always feel MORE than proper in the dining room this way. We have done this in Alaska, Mexico and the Caribbean.

Dockers and polos most certainly work and you will see that on "casual" night, if not other nights as well. We are doing the Maasdam Montreal to Boston end of August and this is likely what my husband will wear. We did a tux twice for formal nights for convenience sake (they await you on the ship), but to save the $100 or so, we've sort of stopped doing that since we have plenty of nice evening clothes for him. I'd leave the sportcoat at home, unless he is very uncomfortable without it.

I agree...packing light is the way to go. I hope this helps.

Have a wonderful trip!

We are excited to be going on our first HAL cruise soon (Boston to Montreal). I apologize if this question has been asked and answered many times. I did attempt a search. Thought I would start on this forum ( I know the Cruise Fashion and Beauty tips forum is very helpful as well).

Our cruise has:

2 Formal

1 Informal

4 Casual

Hubby has a dark suit for the formal nights.

Should he also take blue sport coat and slacks - would that be what is worn

on "informal" night? For one night not sure it is worth it.

Does it work to just wear a dress shirt and tie?

Casual - do dockers and polo shirts work?

We have long air flights and are traveling for a week afterwards including

rental cars and a bus so want to just pack one suitcase each and a carryon.Thanks for your help and advice!

Thank you Sheebah! That is very helpful. We've been a little spoiled recently

doing the NCL "freestyle" cruises and he's been able to leave the suit at home.

It is fun to dress up but we are trying to keep the luggage under control since

we are doing other traveling after the cruise. Thanks again!

We have cruised Maasdam's Canada/New England itinerary and can tell you it is the very rare gentlman who isn't wearing a sportsjacket with or without tie on Informal Night.

We find most people dress 'to code' and on formal night see people who have really made an effort to look nice.

We are returning for b-to-b's to do this Itinerary again as we love it so.....

Just booked yesterday to join the group for 2007 on Maasdam's Canada/New England Itinerary.

Perhaps your husband can wear his sportcoat while traveling to the ship? Then you can keep the packing lighter.

Or, he could simply take another dress shirt/tie and wear his suit again on informal night.

That way he won't need to be underdressed.

It's really easy for a man to dress to code

Good idea about possibly just wearing the suit again on the "informal" night.

He was planning on taking plenty of shirts and ties. Those are easy.

Curious - where does one find a written explanation of the "dress code?"

Thanks for the help.

Good idea about possibly just wearing the suit again on the "informal" night.

He was planning on taking plenty of shirts and ties. Those are easy.

Curious - where does one find a written explanation of the "dress code?"

Thanks for the help.

Annfi,

Here is the dress code from HAL's website:

Clothing and dress code

The right clothing can make a big difference in the enjoyment of your cruise. First and foremost, dress for comfort. Daily life aboard ship and in ports of call is laid-back and casual. We encourage you to wear whatever makes you feel most comfortable-sportswear, shorts, sundresses, slacks, and so on. Warmer climates call for clothing made of lightweight, breathable fabrics. For cooler climates we suggest casual clothes that can be layered easily and possibly a raincoat and waterproof hat or umbrella and gloves. Bring a swimsuit-all of our ships have pools and whirlpools. You may wish to bring more than one outfit for the water, if you'll be spending much time in and around it. We ask that you wear shoes and a cover-up over a bathing suit when walking through the interior of the ship.

If you'd like to jog on deck or work out in the fitness center, bring workout gear. Footwear should include comfortable walking shoes for visits ashore and sandals or rubber-soled shoes for strolling on deck.

Evening dress falls into three distinct categories. Each night a daily program will be delivered to your stateroom announcing the suggested dress for the following evening. Comfortable, relaxed clothing is fine for evenings designated as casual; however, T-shirts, jeans, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the dining room, Lido restaurant, or public areas during the evening hours. During informal nights, dresses or pantsuits for women and jackets (tie optional) for men are standard.

On festive formal evenings, women usually wear cocktail dresses or gowns and men usually wear business suits or tuxedos. There are approximately two formal nights per week. (Gentlemen: Although business suits or tuxedos are suggested attire for formal evenings, they are certainly not required. You are welcome to wear a jacket and tie on formal nights.) Formalwear for ladies and gentlemen can be pre-ordered for your use for the duration of your cruise. Just call Cruise Line Formalwear at 800-551-5091 to reserve and it will be ready in your stateroom when you board.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

Archived