one way car rentals

surrocruiser

Get on their e-mail lists & join their specialty clubs, you might save some that way. But the one way fares are usually the same price. The price flucuates with supply & demand, so if there is a special event you'll pay more regardless.

Good luck, MaryAnn

They are constantly repositioning their fleets. Contact them and ask is there are any repositioning rentals available. So many cars end up in Orlando or Miami, they have to get them back to other areas in the state. ;)

As noted above, most car rental companies do not charge and additional amounts for one way rentals, particularly in Florida. If you belong to any clubs such as Costco, Sams, AAA, etc. you can get discounts so see if you belong to anything that fits. Call the rental companies and visit their web sites to compare prices and book early. When you book early the price doesn't go up and of course if you check closer to your date and the price goes down you can get the lower price if you ask for it.

Keith

Does anyone know of any tricks to find a cheap one way car rental? It will be from Tampa to Miami in May.

We always rent one way from Ft. Myers to either Miami Or Ft. Lauderdale.. You can Check Orbitz.com or Travelocity for one way rates...As someone else stated most companies in FLA have no drop off charges..Last time we got a Van from National to Fll..The men dropped us off at the pier & returned the car at the airport...You'll have to drop off at the airports but the car companies have shuttles to the piers..

Now we have a question..Does anyone know if HAL has parking at the pier in Tampa & what is the rate per day..We're going on the Ryndam Nov. 10 & trying to decide if we should drive our own car & park at the pier or rent each way..

Thanks..

Has anyone else experienced this recently?

I have been checking into renting a car one way from FLL and dropping it the same day in Miami (seemed to be cheaper than shuttle/taxi for 4 people to Port of Miami).

I was on the phone with Avis rental today and an employee at the downtown Miami location said that the Miami City Manager has recently made it a rule that no more car rental "drop-offs" and "pick-ups" can take place at the Port of Miami. :confused: Sounds like the City Manager is trying to reduce the congestion of vehicles in the Port area, or something like that.

So, the Avis rep and I discussed that I would have to take a cab from the Avis in Miami to get to the port. That's alot more effort and money than I plan to do.

Also, if we wanted to rent a car after our cruise, we'd have to catch a cab to get to the rental place.

So now the shuttles and taxi's have a monopoly on all the transportation?!? Well, unless you wanted to pay to park at the parking garage.......hmmm.

Try to book the rental on-line and select your pick-up and drop-off locations to include the airport and port. If you can book it on-line at the avis.com website, then they'll honor it and the local manager would have no say in the matter. Don't deal with the local office, deal with the website. (Or with the toll free 800 number, which gets you to the national reservation center.)

BobK/Orlando

Has anyone else experienced this recently?

I was on the phone with Avis rental today and an employee at the downtown Miami location said that the Miami City Manager has recently made it a rule that no more car rental "drop-offs" and "pick-ups" can take place at the Port of Miami. :confused: Sounds like the City Manager is trying to reduce the congestion of vehicles in the Port area, or something like that.

I use Avis almost exclusively but I found the same to be true for our upcoming cruise 4/22/2007. I checked with Enterprise and I can get a car at the airport, return it to the Enterprise at the Miami Hyatt on 2nd Ave. and they have a shuttle to the port departing approx. every 15 min. We are flying into FLL not Miami, (rates are better and we have friends to visit in Ft. Lauderdale) so this works well for us. As for no one way charges in Florida, this is not necessarily true. All of the rental companies I contacted charge an additional one way fee for all cars going one way to an airport. We are paying just $15 less for a car we will get after disembarkation and return a few hours later at the airport as we are for a car we will have for 2 days prior to the cruise going one way from Fll to Miami... it sucks, but that’s life.

Archived