Why no self-service laundry facilities?

I was just informed by my TA there are no self-service laundry facilites onboard Brilliance.

Scrolling through the posts, it seems none of the RC ships have any.

Wondering why?

We are taking a 12 day Med cruise next year.

We just did a 10 day Mexico on Celebrity, and although we had enough clothes and just squeeked by without doing a load........I thought I'd prefer not to take so much and do some laundry on board.

I also took a small travel iron which I didn't realize I shouldn't have.......

It's so if you want clothes washed, you must pay them to do it! (And I'm sure they don't want to do the upkeep on machines that the general public would abuse.)

As far as your travel iron--I've never seen where they aren't allowed. They just say they don't provide them. They do ask if you bring them, to make sure they are unplugged when not in use.

I was just informed by my TA there are no self-service laundry facilities onboard Brilliance.

Wondering why?

We just did a 10 day Mexico on Celebrity, and although we had enough clothes and just squeeked by without doing a load........I thought I'd prefer not to take so much and do some laundry on board.

RCCL has chosen not to have laundry facilities on their ships. Their reason is unknown. Some feel that they can make money with their laundry and dry cleaning services. What ever the reason, it is their ship and they make the rules.

I have used their laundry service many times when sailing for 2 weeks at a time or so. It is reasonable and they do a good job.

None of us can really answer why RCCL has that rule.:confused:

EDIT:Here are their prices.

Are laundry services provided?

Self-Service Laundry facilities are not provided onboard any Royal Caribbean International ships; however, full laundry and dry cleaning services are provided :SHIPBOARD LAUNDRY SERVICE

* All prices are in US. Dollars and are subject to change without notice.MEN WOMEN

Shirt/T-Shirt: $2.50 Blouse: $3.50

Shirt (dress): $3.00 Dress (wash): $5.00

Underwear: $1.20 Skirt: $3.50

Jeans: $3.00 Nightgown: $3.00

Pajamas: $4.00 Swimsuit: $2.00

Handkerchif: $0.75 Slip: $2.50

Shorts: $2.50 Housecoat: $3.50

Bathrobe: $3.50 Hosiery: $3.50

Pants (wash): $3.50 Slacks: $3.50

Sweatshirt: $3.00

Socks: $1.00

PRESS ONLY - 50% of cleaning prices SHIPBOARD DRY CLEANING SERVICES * All prices are in US. Dollars and are subject to change without notice. MEN WOMAN

Suit: $7.00 Evening Gown: $8.00

Pants: $4.25 Dress $7.00

Jacket: $4.50 Silk Blouse: $5:00

Sweater: $4.00 Silk Dress: $8.00

Coat: $7.00 Skirt $4.50

Tie: $2.00 Suit: $7.50

Shirt: $3.50 Blouse: $4.00

Shorts: $3.00 Scarf: $2.50

Vest $2.50

Silk Pajamas: $4.50

PRESS ONLY - 50% of cleaning prices

Please note: We do not provide irons in the staterooms as they constitute a fire hazard.

I am thrilled that they don't have self-service laundries! If they did, I'd be doing laundry on my vacation ... which would totally ruin my hard-earned holiday. The laundry service isn't expensive. If you really feel you must rinse out a few articles, take a bit of detergent with you and wash it in the bathroom sink. There is a small clothes line in the shower.

As to the iron issue ... people interpret RCCI's statements about irons differently, but the fire on the Princess ship earlier this year reminded all of us that we are extremely vulnerable to fire when on a ship. Leave it at home ... take a steamer if you must, but most people use Downy Wrinkle Release or send it out for pressing.

I think it comes down to the fact that space on a cruise ship is at a premium. Installing laundry facilities means removing cabins, which in turn reduces revenue. Granted, it's probably not a lot of money on a per cruise basis, but if you multiply it out by ship throughout the year (both the lost cabin fare and other incremental revenue), it adds up. Just a guess...

I am thrilled that they don't have self-service laundries! If they did, I'd be doing laundry on my vacation ... which would totally ruin my hard-earned holiday. The laundry service isn't expensive. If you really feel you must rinse out a few articles, take a bit of detergent with you and wash it in the bathroom sink. There is a small clothes line in the shower.

As to the iron issue ... people interpret RCCI's statements about irons differently, but the fire on the Princess ship earlier this year reminded all of us that we are extremely vulnerable to fire when on a ship. Leave it at home ... take a steamer if you must, but most people use Downy Wrinkle Release or send it out for pressing.

I am in agreement, the few things I want to rinse out can be done in the sink. And I use Downy at home also!

holland america always had self service laundromats on their ships and when they built their new Vista class - Westerdam, Oosterdam and 2 others, they did not have them. it's all a matter of profit centers - can you imagine how much money they make on a 2 week cruise with 2000 passengers, even sending minimum laundry and drycleaning? all they got from the self service was the couple of bucks for the machines. when the new ships came out, nothing caused more agony to hal's repeat passengers than to find they had to pay for laundry and dry cleaning - with the exception of suite passengers for whom it is free. the name of the game is profit - no different than just getting peanuts on the airlines.:(

I can't imagine why RCL does not have laundry and ironing facilties like Princess. Gosh, could it be to make money? Duh!

It was convenient on Princess to have ironing facilities. Everything is totally wrinkled by the time you unpack. So we take an iron with us and break the rules.

Also nice to do a load of wash on the last day and take home clean clothes. HAL has a special for $10 per bag (all you can stuff in).

Then there are some guests who would prefer not to spend any part of their vacation doing laundry or worrying about getting their clothes out of the washer and dryer before they anger other guests. For those people, the cost of sending out laundry and drycleaning is part of the cost of their vacation.

And while some may claim that the iron question is a matter of interpretation, I find it difficult to comprehend how one can interpret RCI's statement that guests are not allowed to bring their own irons onboard because they are considered fire hazards, and for the same reason, they do not supply irons to their guests to mean anything other than that they are not permitted. The language is clear and not subject to interpretation, certainly not the tortuous interpretations some would try to apply.:rolleyes:

I was just informed by my TA there are no self-service laundry facilites onboard Brilliance.

Wondering why?

If self service laundry facilities are important to you, I suggest you book one of the new NCL ships which all have self service laundry.

The NCL Dawn had self serve laundry on our family's first cruise. With two small kids, we did three loads on three different nights. It was handy.

Our next several cruises were on RCL (which we stick with now and like more than NCL). On our first RCL cruise we knew before hand they didn't have self-serve laundry and didn't like the idea. We used the laundry service three times for about $70 total. I kinda choked on it the first time. Until my wife on day 9 said, 'wow. that was so much nicer not doing laundry like I was at home.'

I spent $5k for the trip and for the extra $70 she had a better time. Lesson: Don't be penny wise and pound foolish :)

(Plus, they do a nice job.)

I really wouldn't want to be listening to washers and dryers spinning (especially if the laundry room was near my cabin) and smelling bleach and detergent all during the cruise.

I've never been on a cruise that had self-service so I guessed I never missed it and I've never had to iron anything so I wouldn't miss that either.

My husband used the ship's laundry service for a few pieces and we thought the prices were reasonable.

As previously stated, if you are spending a lot of money for the trip, what's a few dollars more for laundry...(and you don't have to do it!!!)

I know how small laundry rooms work.

1)People come in and put there clothes in the washer

2)Four hours later they come and move their clothes to the drier

3)Two hours later they come back to find their clothes removed

4)Then they complain complain complain complain.

No thanks.

I know how small laundry rooms work.

1)People come in and put there clothes in the washer

2)Four hours later they come and move their clothes to the drier

3)Two hours later they come back to find their clothes removed

4)Then they complain complain complain complain.

No thanks.

So you've lived an apartment or a dorm, too huh? We used to have to leave people guarding our washers and dryers - because people were known to come and steal stuff from them if they were left alone.

It does make alot of sense...Here we spend 5K on the vacation to get away from all of home's responsibilities and then spend a couple of hours doing a load of laundry. DUH!!

Fortunately we are taking our trip the end of October 07. It won't be hot, so I have no problem throwing on a pair of shorts or jeans more than once. After all, I doubt anyone would come up to me and say, "hey, didn't you have that on last Tuesday?".....I'd lie and say I have two the same... :)

I have no problem rinsing out sox and undergarments in the bathroom sink and hanging them to dry......That's easy enough.

I can understand the ship not wanting to have additional obligations to maintain laundry equipment. Especially as someone said, 2000 people wanting to wash.

Most of my things are wash and wear and I can always hang them up in the bathroom when showering to get out some wrinkles. Anyway, most everyone else is going to look just like me......wrinkles and all!

Thanks for the information and suggestions. I appreciate it.

I am thrilled that they don't have self-service laundries! If they did, I'd be doing laundry on my vacation ... which would totally ruin my hard-earned holiday.

Someone forcing you to use the laundry if they had it? For people who like to work out a self serve laundry would be very convenient.

Maybe self service laundry facilities aren't important for short cruises but they sure come in handy on longer ones. I'm also able to pack a lot less. It didn't have a negative effect on my cruise experience at all. We would do the laundry late at night. Too bad all the cruise lines don't give their customers this option.

I have to agree with Princessjen! We we do land vacations, I try to find a hotel with self-laundry--I only have to carry a few things, and most are clean when we get home! Shoot--it's not like I'm pounding clothes on a rock! The machine does all the work! I don't feel it detracts from my "time-off" at all!

Archived