another missing passenger?

You people who are making a joke of it are SICK and I personally see no humor in other peoples tragedies.

No one is making fun of this tragedy. They're making fun of the person who said "fowl play" as in chicken, instead of foul play.

Those of us who find that error humorous are not sick, but if we were, it would be due to the "bird flu".

Well Nancy Grace will have a great time with this one. I have to say I like watching her but being a RC fan I dread her when it comes to incidents on ships.

I like many others can not fathom "falling overboard".

If not already, their needs to be cameras EVERYWHERE!!!!! Someone tell me why this is not possible, every deck, every hall, every public room besides stalls, every railing along side the ship, even outside ones that can see balconies. WHY not.

I like many others can not fathom "falling overboard".

If not already' date=' their needs to be cameras EVERYWHERE!!!!! Someone tell me why this is not possible, every deck, every hall, every public room besides stalls, every railing along side the ship, even outside ones that can see balconies. WHY not.[/quote']

I would hate to see cameras everywhere. I hate the idea that "Big Brother" would be watching.

I definitely agree on more cameras everywhere. Can't cost them that much.

I am wondering something. If she came in her parents' room to sleep, she must have left on her own. I doubt a stranger came in the room and pulled her out without anyone hearing anything. Am I missing something?

So very sad for the family. How tragic.

Does anyone know if this is the same RCI ship which has been involved with other pax going missing?

I have not been following this scenario of repeat pax going missing on RCI, so perhaps someone could enlighten me here.

"Events At Sea" dated 26 July, states that she had joined her parents in their cabin at 12:30AM on Tuesday.... to answer another question.

Thanks in advance.

No, George Smith disappeared from Brilliance of the seas in the Mediterranean.

I feel so bad for the family.

But, I do like the "fowl play" remark and sometimes I read about people having "piece of mind".

Can you survive a fall overboard? My DH and I were wondering that when we were looking out on our 8th deck balcony on the Mariner. Does anyone know of any overboard passenger situations that turned out well? (not a rhetorical question...really wondering if anyone has ever been found alive...)

Can you survive a fall overboard? My DH and I were wondering that when we were looking out on our 8th deck balcony on the Mariner. Does anyone know of any overboard passenger situations that turned out well? (not a rhetorical question...really wondering if anyone has ever been found alive...)

I don't recall which ship, but I do remember sometime within the past six or so months reading of a child going overboard with the crew immediately jumping in to rescue him/her. It turned out well, with all surviving. I believe this was an instance of a parent sitting a child upon the railing while searching for something in her purse. Of all of the stupid things I have ever heard , this is the prize winner of superior stupidity. Some folks should never be blessed with children in the first place IMHO!:eek: :eek:

I would hate to see cameras everywhere. I hate the idea that "Big Brother" would be watching.

I somewhat agree but for the safety of all cruisers and staff it would seem the right thing to do. If it saved one life it would be worth it. We have camera's at work for our safety and the store's of course but we don't even think about it and it does make me feel much safer. I would not suggest camera's in rooms or washrooms but everywhere else. What could anyone be doing that would not be seen by others anyway camera or no camera. It seems to many people are "going overboard". Perhaps at night but camera's can be modified to see clearly then aswell. I guess I feel pretty strongly that it is a no-brainer. If I had a child go missing off a ship I would have wanted there to be cameras to follow her steps so I can find out what happened to her, bottom line.

I don't recall which ship, but I do remember sometime within the past six or so months reading of a child going overboard with the crew immediately jumping in to rescue him/her. It turned out well, with all surviving. I believe this was an instance of a parent sitting a child upon the railing while searching for something in her purse. Of all of the stupid things I have ever heard , this is the prize winner of superior stupidity. Some folks should never be blessed with children in the first place IMHO!:eek: :eek:

I believe this was a Princess Cruise and the ship was in port, NOT MOVING. I think the person that originally asked if you could survive a fall overboard, meant while the ship was moving. I too am curious, would you be pulled under the ship?

I believe this was a Princess Cruise and the ship was in port, NOT MOVING. I think the person that originally asked if you could survive a fall overboard, meant while the ship was moving. I too am curious, would you be pulled under the ship?

Thanks - But, never being one to assume anything, I read as printed; since it did not say "Moving" the brain clicked in, and a memory came forward - and the fingers typed away.

Personally, I believe any fall from a ship is serious, moving or not - one could still drown, get squished - especially while anchored, or any number of terrible things - eaten by a shark or sea monster, etc., etc., etc.;) ;)

OK, I get your point, do you get mine??:)

I may be a little paranoid but it seems like in the last 12-15 months, there has been an inordinate amount of cruise mishaps/accidents/disappearances. That being said, I think cameras on the ships watching the public areas (not on the balconies though), would be a good idea. With todays technologies, it would be affordable for the cruise lines.

Did I mention that I'm going on my first cruise in September? Doh. I tell my friends dont worry, I'm gonna wear my lifejacket to the bar.

The cameras would be cheap. Monitoring the cameras would be very expensive. Archiving all the images collected from cameras would be expensive. Assuming additional responsibility for monitoring the cameras and providing some level of security would be expensive because people would start suing even more, if you had a camera on such and such and did not stop something then it would be the cruiselines fault etc.

Just adding cameras would not make anyone safer if they are not monitored and if they are monitored then there will be more expense to each passenger. And if there aren't cameras everywhere - bathrooms, cabins, and balconies - then the places they aren't are the places the trouble will happen.

Cameras aren't the solution, we will just be giving up privacy and gaining nothing.

Being on a cruise ship should not be treated any differently than being anywhere else fairly public. Each individual must take some responsibility for their safety.

Although I have sympathy for the families of all the missing cruise ship passengers, I don't believe that people going missing from cruise ships is some sort of epidemic or is happening in amounts that are out of the ordinary. People go missing every day here in the United States and I'm sure many of those people are on vacation camping, at a hotel, or a resort. Not every single person that is reported missing is covered in the national news media, while cruise ship passengers that go missing are usually reported nationally, most likely to add to the "hype" that seems to be surrounding the cruise industry in recent months and over the last year.

It amazes me how some people can actually go and blame the cruise industry for not doing enough to help solve these "crimes"...sorry but last time I checked the cruise industry was focusing on giving people fun vacations, not becoming some kind of CSI investigators. The family of the man that disappeared last year on the Brilliance of the Seas...last name Smith (can't think of first name, but believe it starts with R) the "missing groom", seem to blame Royal Caribbean for this case not being solved. I'm sorry for their loss, but it makes me so mad when people believe that their family member is simply incapable of partying until they get drunk or getting involved with the wrong group of people. Things happen, and although these are unfortunate events, I don't understand why all or most of the blame is often put on the cruise line when they are there to provide a relaxing vacation experience. Although I believe they do their best to put the safety of the passengers first, we can't expect them to be responsible for actions that we each individually make, such as drinking too much, partying, etc.

The way I understand it, her parents had a suiite (possibly a family suite) and they were all together. They are from our area and are very well-to-do, I could not imagine them having anything but a suite. The TV is not saying anything more today. I know we are all waiting for more news.

I'm sorry for the mis-spell. Of course I meant foul instead of fowl. It really made me laugh when I realized what I had done by your posts. It's okay to laugh for a moment. We were not laughing at the poor young ladies situation, just my inability to spell. I do hope more details come out about what happened. This story has me curious how this could happen again.

I'm sorry for the mis-spell. Of course I meant foul instead of fowl. It really made me laugh when I realized what I had done by your posts. It's okay to laugh for a moment. We were not laughing at the poor young ladies situation, just my inability to spell. I do hope more details come out about what happened. This story has me curious how this could happen again.

Archived