What do you think of the gentleman “dance host” program?

Liv4cruzin

When I was a kid, the all inclusive resorts often included single's dances for people over 40. That way adult singles at the hotel had an opportunity to dance with each other. Since there are a significant number of widows and divorced people over 40 on Celebrity's ships, do you think it would be a good idea to have similar single's dances on cruises?

When I was a kid, the all inclusive resorts often included single's dances for people over 40. That way adult singles at the hotel had an opportunity to dance with each other. Since there are a significant number of widows and divorced people over 40 on Celebrity's ships, do you think it would be a good idea to have similar single's dances on cruises?

Where would they hold something like that? There are only two dance venues on the Millennium class ships - the rendezvous lounge and the forward lounge on the sunrise deck. Each plays a different type of music, with only one playing "ballroom" type music for dancing (usually the Rendez-vous). They already hold a singles meet and greet where dancers could get together and make plans for the rest of the cruise.

Where would they hold something like that? There are only two dance venues on the Millennium class ships - the rendezvous lounge and the forward lounge on the sunrise deck. Each plays a different type of music, with only one playing "ballroom" type music for dancing (usually the Rendez-vous). They already hold a singles meet and greet where dancers could get together and make plans for the rest of the cruise.

I agree there are limited dance venues, but maybe the cruise line could rethink their scheduling for them. On our last cruise karaoke was such a flop on several different nights that someone from the activities staff had to sing to fill in the voids. In my opinion, using that time slot for a single's dance for people on that ship who were forty plus would have been a better use of that space.

I agree karaoke should be dropped - however for a different purpose. On the cruises we have been on, karaoke was held in the rendez-vous lounge. I and other ballroom dancers that we have spoken to on our cruises, would really like to see them move that somewhere else as the rendez-vous seems to have the best duo for dancing and would like to have that venue as a ballroom dance area. We found that the rendez-vous was quite crowded on nights that the duo performed and have the number of dancers grow on each cruise. On our last cruise, you could barely move on the dance floor.

Hubby and I don't cruise for the ports - we consider dancing the main activity. We would hate to lose a spot and even put on the comment cards that karaoke should be moved from the rendez-vous into another area without a dance floor especially one Millie class ships.

Perhaps the new class will have more and larger dance venues!

I agree karaoke should be dropped - however for a different purpose. On the cruises we have been on, karaoke was held in the rendez-vous lounge. I and other ballroom dancers that we have spoken to on our cruises, would really like to see them move that somewhere else as the rendez-vous seems to have the best duo for dancing and would like to have that venue as a ballroom dance area. We found that the rendez-vous was quite crowded on nights that the duo performed and have the number of dancers grow on each cruise. On our last cruise, you could barely move on the dance floor.

Hubby and I don't cruise for the ports - we consider dancing the main activity. We would hate to lose a spot and even put on the comment cards that karaoke should be moved from the rendez-vous into another area without a dance floor especially one Millie class ships.

My husband and I have noticed the same problem as well. In fact, on several occassions we did not dance when we wanted to because of lack of room on the dance floor. When we took our first Celebrity Cruise in 2001 to Alaska on the Infinity, the large forward lounge on the Sunrise Deck was also used for ballroom dancing, which was great. However, since that time Celebrity has been trying to attract a greater number of people who cruise and apparently needs that space to accommodate its increasingly diverse cruising population.

John Howell, the cruise director on Summit last November, told us that there would be a real ballroom dance floor on the Solstice class.... it sure would be nice. He even suggested activities such as dance competitions on board. That would make for great entertainment.

I wish there were greater opportunities for dancing and real classes on our Transatlantics. We had a great couple instructing us on Century last year.

I had my friend confirm this. Celebrity had dance hosts on selected sailings as far back as 2001. It wasn't until 2003 that they offered it fleet wide.

On our Cruise to Alaska on the Infinity during the summer of 2001, I noticed that one man had danced with a lot of different women, so I commented to my husband "That guy sure gets around". He then laughed and said he is probably a dance host that works for Celebrity. It turned out that my husband was right. That was the first time I ever heard of a dance host, but I think it was a wonderful idea since so many single women on that cruise had an opportunity to dance.

John Howell, the cruise director on Summit last November, told us that there would be a real ballroom dance floor on the Solstice class.

I hope that's true - That would make me seriously consider a ship that large!

• 3 weeks later...

I ran out of space at the bottom of my email and didn't get to sign out.

How is Aunt Isa doing? Did she enjoy the cruise as much as we all did...and Carol, too.

When you talk to them, please send them my fondest wishes and it was indeed a pleasure to meet them. And you and Iain, too. I danced once with Iain, how come you, Jim, didn't ask me to dance?? I know you know how, saw you on the dance floor several times....but then you all were up on the Constellation floor most of the time....guess that's why. Maybe another cruise, another time!

We are on this new board....Summit (4-28-07) and they are not as organized as we were. Jeanne took care of the listing and you were great with setting up the picture album. Hope we will be as lucky. But it is still early. There are several mother-daughter duos which will make it nice for us.

Have a great week....... Betty Bee

My husband and I regularly cruise on Celebrity and particularly take cruises because the opportunity to dance is available there , whereas at home all the dance halls are now turned into bingo halls or similar.

Dance hosts are part of the scene for us as regular users of the Rendez vous every evening and we often get friendly with some although we dance mostly as a couple. They are an exceptional advantage for women who enjoy to dance while aboard but have no travelling partner who enjoys dancing and this has to be something Celebrity should value if they have any sense.Women who can afford to travel alone and pay a hefty single supplement tend to join up with others who may not wish to sit at a bar alone all evening .... and on all the cruises we have taken we see them as regulars at the dance floor enjoying something we couples sometimes take for granted because two wish to dance.

I think they will drive these valuable clients to the like of Cunard where on our last cruise they had 6 hosts working the dance floor every dance....we have never seen dance hosts idle...they seem busy every dance so the business for them must still exist.

I agree... I have always thought it was part of that Celebrity charm. I cruise with my DH, and when we are together we dance a bit but tend to spend our time at the aft with a drink, sushi and friends. bUT, i also travel with my aunt and we have ALWAYS enjoyed watching the people dance and the dance hosts and all the ladies who then have an opportunity to dance. Its fun, its charming and its tradition. AND, isnt that what so many of our board topics are about? Weather they are negative or positive experience--when you think about it the comment is always about a tradition we love and it is still there or a negative about why is "such and such" declining?

Sorry to see them go

Nadine

Celebrity boasts a wealth of customer services and the dance host programme was just one of the more charming additional services that tempted us to try the line for the first time last year.

I would have thought that Celebrity would be proud to be different and be

offering this service as so many don't.

Ballroom dancing interest is increasing amongst the young and many are

now having lessons and watching the ballroom competitions on the TV in the UK. Market research should tell them to be including more dancing if its the younger cruisers they wish to attract in the future.

I still like to the nightclub dancing into the wee hours and it is possible to have all these options on each cruise.

On the Galaxy in 2002 I was one of a group of 5 girls. It was like a girlfriend cruise and one night in the club 2 gentleman came up to us and asked us to dance. That night they were doing the jitter bug, but I also saw them in the disco on other nights. So, they not only ballroom dance they will go with the flow and dance to anything!

Archived