What do you think of the gentleman “dance host” program?

Liv4cruzin

Has anyone heard the news that Celebrity Cruises has just decided to cancel their Gentleman Dance Host program? One of my best friends knows several of the dance hosts. They have confirmed that the decision was just made this week to cut the program because they want to “appeal to a younger market.” They are going to phase out the hosts through the fall; and they’ll be gone altogether as of January. I personally haven’t sailed w/ Celebrity; & I’m not much of a dancer. Since I cruise as a single a lot of the time; I have seen the benefit of having this type of program on other cruise lines. There are a lot of (even middle aged) women traveling alone that appreciate being asked to dance. Even some married women whose husbands don’t/won’t dance, enjoy a spin around the dance floor. And the host program is one tradition that I’m really sad to see (in principle) come to an end. So, I’m asking you….. what do you think?

I’m not going to assume that Celebrity has someone who monitors the C.C. boards (as is the case w/ a few other lines). So, I’m going to e-mail Celebrity; & ask them to reconsider this move. If anyone else feels the same way, I’ve posted contact info below. Who knows… if enough people write, they might change their minds.

To contact the Captain’s Club (Past Pax Program) via e-mail, click below:

https://secure.celebritycruises.com/contactus/custSvcsForm.do;jsessionid=0000Dm61CsbX6uuKxyyU4VTm9Rg:1051tg0lk

Contact Captain's Club in North America by phone: 1-800-760-0654

Contact Captain’s Club outside US/Canada by phone: (316) 554-5961

Or the “snail mail method” by writing:

Dan Hanrahan, President

Celebrity Cruises

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

As a 40-something solo (and single) female passenger who is Elite Captain's Club, I am very sorry to hear about this.

In the past I've welcomed the opportunity to dance with these wonderful hosts - this is yet another sorry decline in the Celebrity experience.:(

One has to wonder what's next - and when will management come to their senses. In their quest to increase the bottom line, someone over there needs to figure out that the best way to do this is by offering incentives and rewards to their repeat customers, not by cutting corners and compromising the quality of service.

Or are they deliberately trying to make their stock plunge even lower than it's gone recently??? If this is their goal, then they're doing a fine job in the direction they've been headed so far.

I am shocked. My wife and I look forward to the daily gathering in the Rendezvous for pre dinner drinks and dancing. I wonder how many women pay the solo supplement to cruise and still have an opportunity to enjoy what so many of us take for granted. The dance lessons offered on board requires the dance hosts to help out. This is another sign that X is abandoning its traditional customers. It's a dumb move.

I agree this is a dumb move. How nice it was to meet these fine gentlemen on our past cruises. Never danced with any of them, but it was great program for single ladies who like to cruise. I think if someone pays single supplement to cruise, they deserve to have a dance partner, they paid for them, after all.

I think it's a good idea to eliminate the dance hosts. this is a perk that benefits a few people. Why not have perks that benefit everyone.

No way would anyone consider it a perk. Most pax probably don't even know the dance hosts exist. But it sure is a good way to drive off the over 40+ single women (and women whose husbands won't dance). Those ladies KNOW about the dance hosts and choose X for partially for thatvery reason. And believe me, there are a lot of 40+ (and even younger women), who sail alone, like the ambiance of X and have the money and time to take a lot of cruises. What does it really cost X??? Maybe four or five, very low grade cabins, some food, a few drinks??? Someone posted on another thread that after taxes were taken out of the small salary, dance hosts do it for the love of travel, not the money.

I am getting really disgusted at the "dumbing" down on X. Dress codes not enforced, now no dance hosts. Next, they will take away the butlers for suite pax and start hawking drinks, bingo and who knows what else over the PA system. As I posted in another thread-sliding down the slippery slope to NCL/Carnival land.

I have two cruises to South America booked on X within the next seven months. I am seriously considering cancelling X and taking the QE2 and HAL for almost identical cruises. Cost will be about the same no matter which cruises I finally end up taking. And these are NOT cruises which generally appeal to the younger crowd-too many days away from home and too much money. Hope X finds a way to fill the ships on these longer, more expensive cruises with a "younger market".

Thanks for the link to email X. I will be writing immediately.

I personally haven’t sailed w/ Celebrity; & I’m not much of a dancer.

I am a bit confused. If you have never sailed with Celebrity and are not planning a cruise with Celebrity, why would you initate this mailing campaign:confused:

A single cruiser does not pay double, although there is single supplement, they don't tip double so how did they pay for a dance host. With all the perks disappearing on X i should think they would gain more goodie points with a perk like free internet for loyal, repeat customers. Princess gives free internet and free laundry to their loyal repeaters.

I will email X and congratulate them for a good decision to remove dance hosts to counterbalance the negative replies.

When you start a campaigne to send letters or emails you will get both sides involved.

DMK, I'll answer your question first. When I said "I'm not much of a dancer" I MEANT that I'm not a very good dancer & don't dance much. But I cruise a lot, dance occasionally & have been invited by hosts on other cruise lines. IMO, it's a small thing that means a lot to some women. I will sail Celebrity eventually. As to why, I initiated this subject; why not? It is a feature that (some) Pax of X have gotten used to; & I felt like you might like to know that this was happening. IF it's something that you enjoy, then let them know. Simple as that!

With the exception of Karyn8, I see the rest of you seem to think the program has (at least) some merit. I certainly didn't expect everyone to agree w/ me. But frankly, Karyn8's attitude puzzles me. A little harsh, ya think? So, if you would like to see this program continue on X (if not for you yourself, but for some other unattached female friend or family member), take a few mins. to tell them.

While I don't actually enjoy dancing and would never benefit by the dance partners, I do think it's a worthwhile program and so I did send my comment to Celebrity. I don't feel every perk has to benefit every person since not every passenger is looking for the same thing onboard. Some enjoy the pool games, some enjoy the fruit in the cabin, and some enjoy having a dance host.

Karyn8....Princess offers free laundry and free internet? I'm also a repeat Princess cruiser and have never been offered this. Did I miss something?

A single cruiser does not pay double, although there is single supplement, they don't tip double so how did they pay for a dance host. With all the perks disappearing on X i should think they would gain more goodie points with a perk like free internet for loyal, repeat customers. Princess gives free internet and free laundry to their loyal repeaters.

I will email X and congratulate them for a good decision to remove dance hosts to counterbalance the negative replies.

When you start a campaigne to send letters or emails you will get both sides involved.

If a single cruiser doesnt pay double tell that to my aunt and her friends who allways have to pay double the cruise fare to get there own cabins!!!:( Any one who is willing to pay twice what you pay should at least be able to enjoy the dance floor as much as you.

The cigar bar is a perk but we don't smoke cigars.:( Also, nobody pays the dance hosts they still have to pay for there cruise they dont sail for free. just my opinion that not every perk is going to please every body so just have a lot of them and good variety to keep every one happy.:)

My husband and I regularly cruise on Celebrity and particularly take cruises because the opportunity to dance is available there , whereas at home all the dance halls are now turned into bingo halls or similar.

Dance hosts are part of the scene for us as regular users of the Rendez vous every evening and we often get friendly with some although we dance mostly as a couple. They are an exceptional advantage for women who enjoy to dance while aboard but have no travelling partner who enjoys dancing and this has to be something Celebrity should value if they have any sense.Women who can afford to travel alone and pay a hefty single supplement tend to join up with others who may not wish to sit at a bar alone all evening .... and on all the cruises we have taken we see them as regulars at the dance floor enjoying something we couples sometimes take for granted because two wish to dance.

I think they will drive these valuable clients to the like of Cunard where on our last cruise they had 6 hosts working the dance floor every dance....we have never seen dance hosts idle...they seem busy every dance so the business for them must still exist.

Karyn8:

A single cruiser does pay more than a couple. If you don't agree, perhaps you should trying booking as a single just to see. My husband and I (thank God) don't have to pay for that expense. A single pays more, but what more do they get than me and my husband except a single room. So Celebrity if you are reading this, consider keeping the program. I enjoy seeing the older ladies that love to dance enjoying themselves. They certainly pay enough for that dance with a host in the form of a single supplement. And, Karyn8, there may come a day when you will be one of those single lady cruisers. Have a little compassion.

Karon

My understanding is that the dance hosts are not paid but sail free. Now while this does represent a cost to the cruise line, so does the free passage afforded to the sales clerks, computer instructors, lecturers, etc. I'm not sure what X would be gaining from that point of view.

If the intent is to market to a younger clientele to sail with us old f**ts, I'm OK with that too. But if they want those young whipper snappers to replace us, then look out Oceana, here I come. (PS, I'm also an Elite member).

As a frequent X cruiser and a shareholder I do not object to the cancellelation of the dancing hosts. With the financial health of RCL I think it makes sense to review the number of cabins that are provided free or at a reduced rate for these kind of activities. I think the craft activities are already conducted by ship activity staff members and I would not be surprised to see the bridge leaders to be next on the cutting block. Sounds like prudent management to me.

As a shareholder you must have a vested interest in scrapping/ dropping what you consider are "wasteful" or useless activities ???

Have you ever considered that singles may seek to book aboard specific ships where their interests are fulfilled and Celebrity may provide those facilities which helps keep "bums on seats" and the value of your investment high.

We do not play Bridge yet saw as a regular occurrence eg.the Bridge instructor with side kick partner in tow (not an instructor) dance many evenings in the Rendezvous aboard ML last T/A...so her " work aboard" allowed her to have time off to explore other ship's facilities on her free time.The dance hosts I know from experience work every day when a dance class is held...supporting the teacher, usually a dancer from the show...and then are available every evening and at special functions as well...we have seen them attending everywhere we have been present, from captain's club events , etc. etc . They even phone ship's HQ to tell them if they are leaving the floor to attend the show for example and I understood they are instructed to accompany on request.... with strict rules of how and why of course.

I think they enhance the cruise options for those who travel alone which is not an easy thing to do, and are worth what it costs to retain them in order to bring in custom and keep the company in business.

Although single cruisers pay a significant premium, that is to offset the loss of incidental purchases such as alcohol, etc. Perhaps that is part of the strategy; maybe they don't want to encourage the single cruiser but instead would rather fill the cabins with couples? That way, they improve the revenues and cut expenses.

That is unfortunate; as a married man who enjoys dancing, I don't personally benefit from the dance hosts. But, nobody likes to see the cruise experienced "cheapened" on their favorite cruiseline, and it seems that this is another example of that trend. I don't buy the argument that perks that benefif only a few should be discarded. That's one of the great things about cruising - so many options and acitivites that appeal to so many different interests. The next thing that gets cut might be one that appeals to me. I wouldn't want a cruise experience that caters only to mass appeal.

But, there are economic realities. RCL issued its quarterly report this week, and increased fuel costs are impacting the bottom line. Personally, I'd rather see them hold the line on quality and increase fares.

Here's a suggestion to all of the attached ladies out there - ask your gentlemen to spend a dance or two with single travelers. I know my wife wouldn't mind, and while I may not have the skills of a dance host, I would happily abide.:)

Single cruisers don't pay double?:eek: :rolleyes: :confused:...Karyn, yes the do.

If a cruise is for example.....an inside cabin 600.00 per person....

double occupancy......that would be 1200.00......total.

Well a single person pays 1200.00..with taxes for 1 person.

Now, if there happens to be something on a HAPPY HOUR and

a person can get a price break, then that applies but overall,

you are paying double on X.

As for the dance hosts, I have never seen them but they are

probably for longer cruises. I only go for 7 days.

You are correct, solo pax do not pay double. They only pay port charges one time; a major difference, no doubt. We are sailing in October with several solo ladies, in cabins unshared; they enjoy dancing with the hosts and I certainly hope they are still onboard when we arrive. It's ridiculous to say that if all passengers don't use a program, it should be eliminated. I never, ever, used a children's program and would not say it's unfair to keep it on board. It must certainly cost Celebrity to staff this program and do arts & crafts, etc. The point of the cruise is that there is something for everyone, not everything for everyone.

I believe this is an example of Death by a Thousand cuts. From Elite "benefits" to dance hosts, to bridge experts, forced shuttle fees, etc. Celebrity is ridding itself of expenses to offset rising fuel prices. Passengers know that fuel is more expensive. I think it would be smarter to increase the fare than to cheapen the brand. I look at the banner ad above: Ahhh, the Celebrity Treatment.... How is it affecting us?? Can anyone tell me how the brand has improved over the last year(s) or since you started cruising with X?:(

As a frequent X cruiser and a shareholder I do not object to the cancellelation of the dancing hosts. With the financial health of RCL I think it makes sense to review the number of cabins that are provided free or at a reduced rate for these kind of activities. I think the craft activities are already conducted by ship activity staff members and I would not be surprised to see the bridge leaders to be next on the cutting block. Sounds like prudent management to me.

Damn poor management to me. As someone who owns a transport business heavily dependent on fuel prices, I have done what all other transportation entities have done-RAISE the prices. Airlines, railroads and trucking have either outright raised prices or tacked on fuel surcharges. Cutting back on service is not the way to keep customers.

From an RCL corporate standpoint, who fills the ships on the longer cruises? Today, it is generally retired couples and SINGLE women. It appears RCL THINKS those same cruises will be filled with a "younger market". Not a lot of younger people take off work for three weeks at a time (even IF they have the vacation time, most won't be away from the office that long).

As an RCL shareholder, you should be concerned that a customer such as myself is seriously considering cancelling my two SA cruises and rebooking on Cunard and HAL. I will not be the only one, if the "dumbing down" of the X experience continues. As someone previously posted, Oceania (HAL, Cunard, etc), here we come.

As far as I am aware, but I am no expert, the port charges that singles may pay for only once, would be almost negligible in the global overall price on any cruise I have ever done. In fact when I was retired before my husband stopped work, I used to to pay for our daughter to go with me as my travel companion because it was cheaper to take her than to go "single" as long as she picked up her own onboard etc etc expenses. So unless Brits don't get the same deals as US or Canadian cruisers, when travelling as "singles" ...which would not be any surprise to me based on casual discussions I have had with many fellow cruisers ( non Brits)..... I would think these singles are indeed paying a hefty supplement .... almost 100% ....for the "privilege" of not having to share a cabin with a partner and deserve to have their needs met as well.

On our last three Celebrity cruises we have been accompanied by a widowed friend who enjoys to dance. The dance hosts were an important part of her enjoyment of these cruises. We have got to know some of the dance hosts. Yes they get a free cabin, but they still have to pay gratuities like us, they buy their own drinks and pay for their own laundry. All Celebrity is contributing is a free cabin shared by the two dance hosts. We found them to personable individuals who take their work seriously. Apart from being present at all daytime and evening dancing times they also help out with dance classes and if asked by the excursions staff will accompany single ladies on tours. This type of program is what makes a Premium cruise line different from a mainstream one. Cutting out this benefit for single ladies is retrograde step and to my mind creates a negative impression. I can see that if this is the direction that Celebrity chooses to go we will be having to place our business elsewhere in future.

One of my best friends knows several of the dance hosts. They have confirmed that the decision was just made this week to cut the program because they want to “appeal to a younger market.”

If the information provided by the original poster is correct, the elimination of the dance hosts was not a financial decision but rather a marketing decision. A dumb one, perhaps, but the point is, this isn't about saving money by selling the extra few cabins presently occupied by the dance hosts that sail for free.

If it's true that X wants to "appeal to a younger market" it would confirm something I've suspected for a while now - that RCI is slowly trying to eliminate the distinctions between the two lines. That sounds like another dumb idea to me, and probably to most of you, but the RCI execs may look at it a different way.

Assume for the moment that RCI sailings are more profitable than X sailings. Assume also that marketing trends indicate that the demographic market for RCI-type sailings is increasing. Then it might make sense (to a bean counter) to leverage the investment in X by essentially slowly turning its product into just another RCI-type of offering.

I think it's a dumb idea because there's still a market segment that wants X the way it still is (was?) and RCI is going to lose that market segment to somebody without knowing for sure if they can fill X's ships with RCI-type customers. It's a risky strategy, maybe even an arrogant one, but it sure looks to me like that's what's going on here.

Too bad. Having dance hosts is such a lovely, charming way to tell some of the passengers that their business is appreciated and that X is striving to ensure they have such a great cruise that they wouldn't dream of switching lines. But that sort of loyalty marketing is evidently going the way of the dodo bird. Sad.

Archived