Dinner in Miami

We will be on the Grandeur of the Seas' cruise leaving Baltimore on September 1st. Our third day will be in Miami from 1 or 4 (depending on who you believe) until 8 or 10 p.m.

Does anyone have any recommendations for dinner within an easy cab ride from the dock?

Within minutes of the Port is a place called BaySide. Here, enjoy many shops and some fine restaurants. There is Chili's and Hooters that overlook your ship, and there is Bubba Gump Shrimp Company for some GREAT seafood!

About 5-10 minutes from the Port is Morton's Steak House. It is expensive, but the cuisine is excellent.

About a 15-20 minute drive from the port of Coconut Grove. There are plenty restaurants like The Chart House (another steakhouse, but does cost some $$$$$), Hooters, Johnny Rockets, Cheesecake Factory, a fine Italian Dining, and some other restaurants. All are great, but it all depends on where you want to go and how much $$$$$$ you want to spend. Either way, Please Enjoy Miami and let us know how you liked your cruise when you return home!!:cool:

We will be on the Grandeur of the Seas' cruise leaving Baltimore on September 1st. Our second day will be in Miami from 1 or 4 (depending on who you believe) until 8 or 10 p.m.

Does anyone have any recommendations for dinner within an easy cab ride from the dock?

There are many places to eat in the Bayside Marketplace which is very close. You do have to take a cab from the piers to across the bridge.

Here is a link to what they have there. I have eaten in Lombardi’s Ristorante and it had very good food.

Bayside marketplace.

www.baysidemarketplace.com

Adam,

I'll be leaving on the Granduer about a month after you get back (10/13). You'd better leave me something to eat, cause I know where you live:) (Well, not exactly, but I work in North Rockville/South Gaithersburg). Used to live in Monkey Village.

Tom

So I see a lot of chain restaurants listed, but how 'bout some local restaurants? Does Monte's still serve great food in "The Grove"? I grew up in Miami but haven't been to Monte's since 1979. I know of great restaurants in the Kendall area, but for something local and close to the pier I am clueless. I haven't lived in that area since 1980.

Keep this list going!

Cheers!

Taters

So I see a lot of chain restaurants listed, but how 'bout some local restaurants? Does Monte's still serve great food in "The Grove"? I grew up in Miami but haven't been to Monte's since 1979. I know of great restaurants in the Kendall area, but for something local and close to the pier I am clueless. I haven't lived in that area since 1980.

Keep this list going!

Cheers!

Taters

Monte's is still there but much larger than you remember it. It does have a fun outside atmosphere with live music later in the evening. I'm a Miami native who hadn't eaten there in decades until just recently. I was disappointed in the food quality, 18% gratuity added on to the check no matter what the party size - this ensured the worst service I've ever had at any restaurant. And all the food was served on paper plates with plastic utensils and plastic cups for all drinks. Even the wine was served in a plastic cup.

I can't say I'd recommend this to anyone anymore.

I'd go to Lombardi's at Bayside if I were in Miami on a cruise. And I'd get my frozen daiquiris at Fat Tuesday's. This is the same company as New Orleans Daiquiri which is only in Louisiana by that name. All the other daiquiri shops at Bayside are short on alcohol and I've tried them all. :)

There is a bar right outside of Lombardi's, owned by them with a not so Italian sounding name, that seems lively with lots of dancing. But the dancing may start too late for an evening cruise departure.

My wife and I stayed at Miami Beach last year and Miami Downtown this year. We ate at the Bayside once or twice but nothing could compare with NEXXT Restaraunt on Lincoln Road Miami SOBE. This restaurant is always full and the portions are huge. Teriyaki chicken and the Orange chicken was our favourites. This year we stayed at the Doubletree Grand next door to the Marriott and the Bus terminal was round the corner where we took a bus to Lincoln Road and back again for $6 for two. We could easily have taken a taxi but wanted the experience of local life and we used buses when ever we could. Contrary to some suggestions we found it perfectly safe. Nothing wrong with Bayside Market Place but it does not compare with SOBE IMO

If you want something a bit above the standard chain food you are going to need to skip bayside and head either toward Coconut Grove or someplace similar.

About all that can be said about Bayside is that it is a mall with mall food.

OK, I realize Bayside is a tourist area full of stuff to buy and mostly chain restaurants. But it is fast and easy.

I also believe that SOBE is just another tourist area and maybe it's just because I'm a local, but I wouldn't want to go there.

If you must know, I will let the secret out. Here is where you will want to go. You can even pull up their menu. We've eaten there and had a fabulous meal and perfect service. They knew we were on our way to an Andrea Bocelli concert afterwards at the American Airlines arena, which is right next to the cruise port, so they made sure the timing was perfect for us to leave and get to the concert after the meal.

Eat at Perricone's. You can pull up the menu at their very nice website. you won't be sorry and you will be eating at a non-chain enjoyed by the locals.

http://www.perricones.com/index.htm

Eat at Perricone's. You can pull up the menu at their very nice website. you won't be sorry and you will be eating at a non-chain enjoyed by the locals.

http://www.perricones.com/index.htm

Thanks so much for the link to Perricone's Website. It looks and sounds wonderful and the prices are vey reasonable.

I really appreciate the recommendation.

Adam,

I'll be leaving on the Granduer about a month after you get back (10/13). You'd better leave me something to eat, cause I know where you live:) (Well, not exactly, but I work in North Rockville/South Gaithersburg). Used to live in Monkey Village.

Tom

Tom - Don't worry. I'm sure there will be plenty when you get there.

We live near Lake Forest Mall and I work on Gaither Drive, off of Shady Grove Road.

Monte's is still there but much larger than you remember it. It does have a fun outside atmosphere with live music later in the evening. I'm a Miami native who hadn't eaten there in decades until just recently. I was disappointed in the food quality, 18% gratuity added on to the check no matter what the party size - this ensured the worst service I've ever had at any restaurant. And all the food was served on paper plates with plastic utensils and plastic cups for all drinks. Even the wine was served in a plastic cup.

I can't say I'd recommend this to anyone anymore.

Thanks for the update on Monte's, mommabean. It's really sad that they've gone down hill like that. Monte's used to be such a great place to go! I loved the reggae bands that they'd bring up from Jamaica (the drinking age was 18 and my friends and I would sneak in there when I was 16, OY!) and my folks used to take us to the restaurant when we were growing up. I've driven past there in the afternoon a few times over the past ten years or so and told my husband that I'd love to take him there if we were ever in that area in the evening, but I guess there's no point to that now... That is so sad!

Again, thanks for the update.

Taters

Thanks for the update on Monte's, mommabean. It's really sad that they've gone down hill like that. Monte's used to be such a great place to go! I loved the reggae bands that they'd bring up from Jamaica (the drinking age was 18 and my friends and I would sneak in there when I was 16, OY!) and my folks used to take us to the restaurant when we were growing up. I've driven past there in the afternoon a few times over the past ten years or so and told my husband that I'd love to take him there if we were ever in that area in the evening, but I guess there's no point to that now... That is so sad!

Again, thanks for the update.

Taters

The one good part is that they DO still have the reggae bands. Very entertaining. It's just a shame about the bad service and the cheap way they serve the food.

The drinking atmosphere is still something that the 16 year olds would like. :) I was also young when the drinking age was 18. That was when I used to sneak into Hunter's lounge in Miami Springs at the age of 16. Once I turned 18, it just wasn't the same - no fun. ;) Apparently parents didn't watch their kids then anymore than they do now. :D

But for a nice meal...forget Monte's.

The one good part is that they DO still have the reggae bands. Very entertaining. It's just a shame about the bad service and the cheap way they serve the food.

The drinking atmosphere is still something that the 16 year olds would like. :) I was also young when the drinking age was 18. That was when I used to sneak into Hunter's lounge in Miami Springs at the age of 16. Once I turned 18, it just wasn't the same - no fun. ;)

Mommabean:

I got my first fake ID, a "Mississippi driver's license" in The Grove when I was 15... Cost me $5 in one of those little shops along the main drag there. The lamination was still hot and I used it in a little biker bar right across the street! If my mom found out she would've killed me! Oy! I have a 16 year old daughter who can't get away with ANYTHING, 'cause her old mom did it all!!!! LOL I used to go into Big Daddy's Lounge next door to Shorty's BBQ on the Dixie Highway in Kendall when I was 15 and 16... My friends and I would ride our bikes there! It's a stripper bar now. Yikes.

Taters

I just came back from a late lunch at Montys on South Beach. Pretty nice having a casual snack and watching the ships leave from the Port of Miami. Some feel that sobe may be to tourist like to each their own. For sobe though here is a small rundown of great places to eat:

Big Pink- big portions $$

Next- same $$

Sushi Samba $$$

Joe Allen $$

Prime 112 $$$$ but a very good steak!

Smith & Wollinsky (sp?) $$$

Barton G- You will never see presentation like this!!!! Very entertaining!$$$$

Sobe is 10 mins cab from POM

Enjoy!

Mommabean:

I got my first fake ID, a "Mississippi driver's license" in The Grove when I was 15... Cost me $5 in one of those little shops along the main drag there. The lamination was still hot and I used it in a little biker bar right across the street! If my mom found out she would've killed me! Oy! I have a 16 year old daughter who can't get away with ANYTHING, 'cause her old mom did it all!!!! LOL I used to go into Big Daddy's Lounge next door to Shorty's BBQ on the Dixie Highway in Kendall when I was 15 and 16... My friends and I would ride our bikes there! It's a stripper bar now. Yikes.

Taters

ha-ha It's the same with my 16 year old daughter. I know what goes on so I watch her like a hawk. Only you'll never guess where I got my fake ID and I actually had to pay $10. In Liberty City! Teenagers sure have nerve.

I know where that Shorty's is. I didn't realize the Big Daddy's is a stripper joint now. I guess there are so many of them, I drive by without noticing or giving so much as a look.

I just came back from a late lunch at Montys on South Beach. Pretty nice having a casual snack and watching the ships leave from the Port of Miami. Some feel that sobe may be to tourist like to each their own. For sobe though here is a small rundown of great places to eat:

Big Pink- big portions $$

Next- same $$

Sushi Samba $$$

Joe Allen $$

Prime 112 $$$$ but a very good steak!

Smith & Wollinsky (sp?) $$$

Barton G- You will never see presentation like this!!!! Very entertaining!$$$$

Sobe is 10 mins cab from POM

Enjoy!

There is a Monty's on South Beach? Where? Is it associated with the old one in the Grove?

Yes there is a Montys on south beach. It is behind the Miami Beach Marina about 2 blocks south of the McCarther Cswy. It faces the port. Great place to watch the ships leave while having some food on Sat & Sun afternoons. It is part of the Montys in the grove.

ha-ha It's the same with my 16 year old daughter. I know what goes on so I watch her like a hawk. Only you'll never guess where I got my fake ID and I actually had to pay $10. In Liberty City! Teenagers sure have nerve.

I know where that Shorty's is. I didn't realize the Big Daddy's is a stripper joint now. I guess there are so many of them, I drive by without noticing or giving so much as a look.

- I drove by shortys yesterday and i think the stripper bar turned into a Subway!

Archived