Hey new guys..read this

Rustyone

Interesting post, Rusty, and you made some good points. Another misconception that newby cruisers have is that everyone will look like the folks in the brochures - young, tan, blonde, great bodies, etc. There are women on the Cruise Fashion boards who have expressed fear at wearing a swimsuit onboard because they think they don't look good enough.

Cruisers come in all shapes, sizes, ages, and colors. Believe me, they don't all look like the people in the brochures.

I will probably giggle all day because of this post... it reminds me of about 10 years ago when my father and I travelled to England and met some relatives of friends. The young men in the group finally confided that they watched BAYWATCH all the time and really had envisioned me (& all American women) as Pamela Anderson types. This explained the looks on their faces at our introduction...which I choose NOT to remember... LOL

I love this thread and am so happy I jumped onto the boards this morning before work to see what was up.

I, personally, bought my luggage on the clearance rack at Target, and when it breaks, I will go back and buy some more.

I also do not know what a hayseed is, but would love to know.:)

CauseyOutdoor

25 days to CB!!

I love this thread and am so happy I jumped onto the boards this morning before work to see what was up.

I, personally, bought my luggage on the clearance rack at Target, and when it breaks, I will go back and buy some more.

I also do not know what a hayseed is, but would love to know.:)

CauseyOutdoor

25 days to CB!!

I also loved this post. I will admit the attitude he described here did keep me from trying Princess sooner. I was also very nervous based on some of the posters here. As you can see from my signature, I got over it. I too was glad they didn't represent most of the people I met on board.

causeyoutdoor, we are farmers and raise hay. When you cut and put the hay up you end up covered in the hay "seed". This is anything from actual seed from some types to leafs and chaff. This term was used to describe "low class, backward, uneducated types". More than you wanted to know, huh

Oh Great! It's really clear to me now..NOT!!!..:eek: ..."leafs" & "chaff"...Would someone please get me back on the bus.....I'm more lost than ever!

We drove through Oklahoma once, in the 60's (an amazing era), we rushed through because they were have tornado warnings....Like, I'm from L.A., what the hell am I going to do with a tornado warning????? :D

Roz, we play the "Gary England Drinking Game" during tornado warnings. You kind of have to live here and experience the live coverage on TV during severe storms to understand. :)

Please tell me how to play this game. We get twisters too, or warnings very frequently and I'd love something like this to keep us busy. We could play it in winter too up here. :D

Discussions of snobs and hayseeds is strange and refreshing.

Folks who act like snobs are usually poor "wannabe's." Those appearing as Hayseeds could be your neighborhood millionaire.

Personally, we did not feel the need to take formal attire along, after being exposed to the CC boards.

We dressed up, and fit in with 99% of the "Formal Night" crowd. Not many at all in tuxes and long formals, but those who did opt for them were stunning.

Please tell me how to play this game. We get twisters too, or warnings very frequently and I'd love something like this to keep us busy. We could play it in winter too up here. :D
I don't know if it translates to other states. Gary is a local forecaster known for getting a little too excited during weather outbreaks and declaring his own weather emergencies whether the authorities think there should be one or not. I'll e-mail the rules to you.

As for dress, it might surprise some to know that we had EXACTLY the same concerns about how we would fit in before our first cruise. We were struck how egalitarian everything was on board and that most people were just like us. One of the big reasons we've stayed with Princess is that we keep meeting great people.

One doesn't have to dress as if going to a movie premiere, in fact, by the looks of some of the Hollywood types, they should get their money back for what passes as "goin'-out duds" in their world.:eek:

It is absolutely possible to do the dress-up thing without breaking the bank. My wife has several outfits suitable for formal and semi-formal wear that are comfortable and attractive that were bought on sale. A decent suit or tux doesn't cost all that much either. If you can manage dressing up for a special occasion, you have nothing to worry about and can be assured that you'll fit in.

Hooray! Lots of talk but no explanation about those darn "hayseeds"! :cool:

No matter....I'm goin cruisin....not once but twice before the end of this damn "politically incorrect" year! :rolleyes:

There's wars everywhere you turn....this one hates that one.....and this one wants that one to stay off their land....and that one wants America out of their place....and this one hates our Government...and that one hates, well, they just hate just about everything! :mad:

And, my answer to all of them is.....GET ON A SHIP....TAKE A CRUISE....lighten up.....find a "hayseed" and a "snob" and CUDDLE up to EM!!!! ;)

I don't know if it translates to other states. Gary is a local forecaster known for getting a little too excited during weather outbreaks and declaring his own weather emergencies whether the authorities think there should be one or not. I'll e-mail the rules to you.

I want the rules too! Post them here! (I live about 60 miles from nliedel, and need something during bad weather! - except, I suppose, when I'm at school teaching the kids....:eek: )

for wizard-of-roz: from Merriam-Webster: Leaf=a lateral outgrowth from a plant stem that is a typically flattened....greenish organ... Chaff=the seed coverings and other debris separated from the seed in threshing grain. :D (I hope you know I'm kidding here - or at least I hope I am - we mid-westerners seem to assume that everyone knows about hay!;) )

Anyway, as for dress... my DH had no suit (or no suitable pants - he wears shorts in the middle of winter), so we bought him a suit. As a preschool teacher, my "professional dress" is pants or a "teacher dress", so I bought a nice outfit - switchable for both nights. We also bought some "resort casual" type clothes - I just bought them early for school wear, he got some collared shirts. Total outlay for clothes was maybe $300, not including the suit, which was needed for funerals, interviews, etc - an important purchase. And, $150 of this was clothes I would have bought for school anyway.

I'm glad I hadn't read these boards before the cruise, or I would have felt differently about the dress I bought. (I just relied on the clerks in the store!)

I posted the official "rules" on the Floataway Lounge board since this is totally O/T. Here is the link to the Gary England Drinking Game.

Oh goody, we are expecting storms tonight and the local channel 4 goes into high gear whenever they are around.

I bought most of my cruise formalwear either on deep discount sale or on consignment. I go for timeless stuff that's going to pack well (except for the formal my husband bought me because I "look pretty in it"). I re-wear it year after year.

Gary England is the weatherman (and in real life in OKC) in the hokey, hayseed, country-hick movie... Twister ... for anyone who cares to know. Flyin' cows? Like that? uh uh... and I am a born and raised rural hayseed girl from tornado alley... Now, if only we'd get some storms (and RAIN) so I could even begin to remember what it's like to even HAVE a storm warning.

As for chaff... it's the stuff that blows around and makes you itch while you're harvesting your fields! Along with the dirt and dust of course.:)

This is now so off topic... sorry guys!

sym1966: Thanks for the info.

Re: Dressing for Cruising; I buy a few "chatchkies" i.e. Earrings/bracelets/pins/necklaces, to mix and match; anything NEW that's not too expensive to make my outfits feel different and more exciting to me!

I never buy NEW clothes, I just "update" the old! ;)

It's fun!

Guest BeckyThane
bdjam: You are right: It was Sterlings, not Sabatini's. As for eating in the dining room my wife and are both somewhat on the shy side. I'm retired from the steel industry and my wife is an office manager, neither of which lends itself to interesting conversation. See ya out there.

Rusty, last cruise we were on we sat at a table of ten for dinner each night. We much preferred the company of the "Average Joe & Jane" at our table to the wanna-be diva (dripping with diamonds) and her hubby. I'd cruise with you any time!

Guest BeckyThane
I never buy NEW clothes, I just "update" the old! ;)

LOL Roz! I _do_ buy new clothes... pre-cruise is the only time I clothes shop all year! (I _hate_ shopping for clothes!) I shopped Dress Barn Outlet several months ago for the "little black dress" that I needed for another formal occasion, and made a blitz last week on sales at Penney's, Kohl's, and Macy's, as well as ordered a bunch of shirts & shorts from Cabela's -- all on sale, of course! I understand the OP's desire not to stick out in a crowd, and use the pre-cruise time to freshen up my wardrobe. ;)

LOL Roz! I _do_ buy new clothes... pre-cruise is the only time I clothes shop all year! (I _hate_ shopping for clothes!) I shopped Dress Barn Outlet several months ago for the "little black dress" that I needed for another formal occasion, and made a blitz last week on sales at Penney's, Kohl's, and Macy's, as well as ordered a bunch of shirts & shorts from Cabela's -- all on sale, of course! I understand the OP's desire not to stick out in a crowd, and use the pre-cruise time to freshen up my wardrobe. ;)

Well I do that too-but my clothes are not just cruise clothes-they may be new when I cruise-mainly because we take a cruise every fall-and I have hit all those end of the summer sales.

Guest BeckyThane
BeckyThane: I can't be missed....If you've met me you'd know why.....I truly "stick out in the crowd"!:p

:p Me, too! It's mainly because of my "Wardrobe by Disney" look. People call me "The Pooh Lady" because I'm usually wearing something that has Winnie-the-Pooh on it! In fact, that's how I've told people on our upcoming Crown Princess cruise meet-n-greet to recognize me -- I'll be wearing a Pooh shirt. :D

Archived