Hey new guys..read this

Rustyone

:p Me, too! It's mainly because of my "Wardrobe by Disney" look. People call me "The Pooh Lady" because I'm usually wearing something that has Winnie-the-Pooh on it! In fact, that's how I've told people on our upcoming Crown Princess cruise meet-n-greet to recognize me -- I'll be wearing a Pooh shirt. :D

From looking at my avatar & name, you can probably guess... I have enough Eeyore shirts that I could wear a different one for an entire 9 day cruise (I think). I was very careful when packing for the Crown, however - I only allowed myself 2!:D

A few years ago (okay more than a few) I was part of an executive MBA program that included a 2-week international trip. I learned so much on that trip to Asia, especially from the Professor. The two lessons that stick out the most are: (1) learn to travel with carry-on and (2) remember you are going to "observe", not "Be observed". Wear clean clothes than are not imappropriate and mind your manners. But spending lots of money for travel clothes and bags was not encouraged. Observe on your trip and do not worry about what you look like.

Now, when I travel by Cruise ship I'm going to be looking for Disney characters on the front of people's chests...so, if you're wearing one and a tall blonde with a black dog, in tow, approaches you, please say hi! :)

Happy and Safe Cruising to everyone!

Roz

BeckyThane: I can't be missed....If you've met me you'd know why.....I truly "stick out in the crowd"!:p

Rustyone: I'll buy the drinks, I'd love to sit with you and your wife, anytime! ;)

curious minds want to know...why do you stick out in the crowd?????

Let's see....I'm 5'10", blonde, green eyes, always tan and I bring a 70lb black Labrador Retriever everywhere I go! The Summit is her favorite ship but she'll be doing the Diamond Princess and NCL Star in September and November.

I'm her trainer and she's my certified/licensed "Hearing Dog"!

If you've met me you know it, if you see me; please say hi!

Love & Licks,

Roz & "Brenda" :p

I thought most of his post was unbelievable-upper middle class and he buys most of his clothes at WALMART.

I buy most of my clothes at Diliards, Parisian, and Macey's but normally they cost less then Walmart because I hit the August/February sales and buy my stuff off season. I do this because I like better quality clothing but I am on a "beer budget" I guess. I would never go out and spend $1500 on clothing JUST for a cruise. I don't buy "cruise clothes" except for formal wear and even that I have a wedding or party or something where I get to wear it again.

I also shop at Marshalls and Ross a good bit-I can afford them year round-I buy at Walmart my Hanes undies and No Nonscense panty hose and that is it in clothing. I do buy some of my groceries and shampoo/cat food/etc at Walmart.

I consider myself just middle class-maybe slightly going to the upper end.

I think it is totally believeable...upper middle class in St Louis is NOT upper middle class in California..IF you use income as that measureing stick, that is...Being raised an Okie I STILL buy MOST of my clothes at Wal Mart even though I can afford to buy them ANYWHERE...and I did order my cruising tux at 1-800-cheaptux (or something like that LOL) even though I could have bought one ANYWHERE I desired...so I'm thinking this may be more the way someone is raised or their personality more than their income level because even though I may be in the top 10% of income earners in this country I'm still that LOWER middle class Okie at heart and will ALWAYS shop at Wal Mart...

Roz, we play the "Gary England Drinking Game" during tornado warnings. You kind of have to live here and experience the live coverage on TV during severe storms to understand. :)

Good God...Is he STILL on TV in OKC? LOL He may be around as long as Danny Kaye was!! LOL:eek:

Rusty, thanks for your post, plus your sound advice.

I feel certain that there are many first time curisers who are naturally influenced by both comments on boards or cruise line brochures. I also agree with the person who mentioned something to the effect that most folks want to feel that they "belong" in the place that they are at. For example, recently we received a booklet from the cruise line that operates the QMII, offering discounted rates for a particular cruise in December. But all I saw in the brochure were people who appeared to be 75 years old, dressed to the hilt, and each had a glass of champagne in their hands. I'm not so naive that I think that all the passengers on that ship will fit that description, but after a quick glance at the brochure, my wife and I booked a November cruise on the Star Princess (2nd on Princess) and I can only hope that Rusty and wife will be on board!

PS I think one is also influenced by what they are used to or comfortable with, for example, I recently retired from a desk job where I had to wear a coat and tie most of the time; because of this "habit", I have no problem, and sort of like, getting a little dressed up for dinners in the dining room of the ship.

Yes...I really did spend all that money. Of course on the bright side I can use it all the next time. I am also the type that is very sensitive to those around me. I do not like to stick out in a crowd. I perceived from reading this forum that I had to do what I did in order to be inconspicuous. It was not my intention to lay blame on the general populace, just those few who made it a point to be more than they were.

I'm glad you posted this topic. I still remember my uncertainty about what to wear when we went on our first cruise in 1998. I didn't start reading these boards till 2000 but even so, I took way too many things on that first one. Once we found Princess (4th cruise) we slowly started to reduce our luggage. Now I've cruised twice successfully with just a carryon and never enjoyed myself more and will probably never go back to using that big 26" bag.

Although I don't agree with 100% of what you've posted, you have managed to capture that feeling I had before my first cruise and I think newbies will gain insight from your comments.

MrDawson....Don't hear very many people talk about Danny Kaye...I just loved him when I was little. Made me smile just to see his name...

Okay, I am a hayseed from Iowa...originally Chicago, then down here, then Los Angeles, now back here.... I am excited to be going on my first cruise next April. I want to meet all kinds of people, Even the ones who pretend they are someone else can be fun.

I did buy a formal dress for the cruise, but couldn't resist...Normally $130 for only $32. Been lurking on E-bay for some deals too. Our area here does not have "cruise clothes" but we do have a Wally World.

Dawn

Why I don't shop Walmart: aside from what I consider strong-arm tactics in dealing with their suppliers, I do think child labor was used for many of their products, I don't like how they treat their employees (no insurance!), and when it comes to their clothes, they are just plain cheap. I don't mean inexpensive, which they are, but I mean, fall apart too soon. Mom taught me to buy quality ONCE and I'm glad I learned that - I still have the first pair of dress pants I bought in college (fitting into them is another matter, at 40 and having quit smoking and, um, expanded my horizons). I don't shop often, and don't have to (well, assuming I can eventually fit back into what I considered Fat Pants a year ago). DH buys Walmart clothes all the time. He has to - they barely make it thru a season.

I will buy factory seconds, but I check them carefully. I don't buy expensive stuff and have found quality doesn't have to be expensive. I go for timeless classics. I loved Ayres and miss their sales. If a store is too high-faluting, look-down-their-nose at me, well, I'm outa there. They have no clue how much money I make or what I would have spent.

I'm not much of a "dress-up girl", being a computer geek and nature girl who'd rather be in jeans and tshirt, but I'll dress for dinner and do the formal thing, tho in a 'little black dress' that I can change up for the second formal night. We're planning to really "do it up" on the Alaskan cruise because our lives are simply not fancy and glamorous and this is my one chance to give Mom a ride on a luxury vessel.

I like meeting people from all walks of life, different races, different nationalities, people with professions or hobbies I've never heard of or those I've heard of but know nothing about. There is no shame in a job well done, whatever it is. I've scrubbed toilets and did the best at it I could. I could now pay someone to scrub our toilets and I would treat them with dignity and respect.

Everyone has a story to tell. I don't much care how a person is dressed, as it's really quality of character that matters, not money, fashion sense or job title. We hope to meet lots of nice people doing Anytime Dining and if anyone decides we're not good enough for them, well, that's their loss.

MrDawson....Don't hear very many people talk about Danny Kaye...I just loved him when I was little. Made me smile just to see his name...

Okay, I am a hayseed from Iowa...originally Chicago, then down here, then Los Angeles, now back here.... I am excited to be going on my first cruise next April. I want to meet all kinds of people, Even the ones who pretend they are someone else can be fun.

I did buy a formal dress for the cruise, but couldn't resist...Normally $130 for only $32. Been lurking on E-bay for some deals too. Our area here does not have "cruise clothes" but we do have a Wally World.

Dawn

Dawn

Do you remember when mary hart from Entertainment tonight was his sidekick on his noon time show! lol

Why I don't shop Walmart: aside from what I consider strong-arm tactics in dealing with their suppliers, I do think child labor was used for many of their products, I don't like how they treat their employees (no insurance!), and when it comes to their clothes, they are just plain cheap. I don't mean inexpensive, which they are, but I mean, fall apart too soon. Mom taught me to buy quality ONCE and I'm glad I learned that - I still have the first pair of dress pants I bought in college (fitting into them is another matter, at 40 and having quit smoking and, um, expanded my horizons). I don't shop often, and don't have to (well, assuming I can eventually fit back into what I considered Fat Pants a year ago). DH buys Walmart clothes all the time. He has to - they barely make it thru a season.

I will buy factory seconds, but I check them carefully. I don't buy expensive stuff and have found quality doesn't have to be expensive. I go for timeless classics. I loved Ayres and miss their sales. If a store is too high-faluting, look-down-their-nose at me, well, I'm outa there. They have no clue how much money I make or what I would have spent.

I'm not much of a "dress-up girl", being a computer geek and nature girl who'd rather be in jeans and tshirt, but I'll dress for dinner and do the formal thing, tho in a 'little black dress' that I can change up for the second formal night. We're planning to really "do it up" on the Alaskan cruise because our lives are simply not fancy and glamorous and this is my one chance to give Mom a ride on a luxury vessel.

I like meeting people from all walks of life, different races, different nationalities, people with professions or hobbies I've never heard of or those I've heard of but know nothing about. There is no shame in a job well done, whatever it is. I've scrubbed toilets and did the best at it I could. I could now pay someone to scrub our toilets and I would treat them with dignity and respect.

Everyone has a story to tell. I don't much care how a person is dressed, as it's really quality of character that matters, not money, fashion sense or job title. We hope to meet lots of nice people doing Anytime Dining and if anyone decides we're not good enough for them, well, that's their loss.

You sound like someone I'd like to get to know! :) Are you from Indiana? I lived in Indianapolis from 1965 to 1971 and remember Ayres very well! I have the same views about Wal-Mart -- especially when you throw in political contributions. Thanks for sharing your views!

I do try to remain grounded, and am indeed a Hoosier, as was my daddy and his family, who taught me about always treating everyone with respect (Mom is southern, with a completely different set of lessons). I would see Dad say Hello to the Janitor and greet him by name, tho Pop was VP level at GE. I know that I'm no better than anyone else and am instantly turned off by those who think they are better than others.

We do live in Indy (actually, by postcode, Zionsville, w 93rd, some of the last farmland). The cherub is gone and I forget who has custody but it was news when it "left". I work in The Children's Museum - maybe you have memories of it? I grew up in Ft Wayne so never visited as a child but was lucky enuf this morning to be allowed by Collections to bring up a Sesame Street Grover to my office left over from when we had a Puppets gallery a couple years ago (tho we do currently have a Sesame Street travelling exhibit in).

Let's see....I'm 5'10", blonde, green eyes, always tan and I bring a 70lb black Labrador Retriever everywhere I go! The Summit is her favorite ship but she'll be doing the Diamond Princess and NCL Star in September and November.

I'm her trainer and she's my certified/licensed "Hearing Dog"!

If you've met me you know it, if you see me; please say hi!

Love & Licks,

Roz & "Brenda" :p

Thanks for answering that & hope to cross paths 1 day so I can say a big HELLO to you & Brenda!! :)

Susan: A big HELLO and a PAW from Brenny! Again, if you do see me please say Hi!

Some people are afraid to approach folks with "service dogs" and that can be a good thing (she may be working and no one wants to get in the way of that), but, I always enjoy people who ask if they can touch her and then we begin a conversation and that's ALWAYS a great thing!

I'm a very social being and enjoy the company of others! And, it doesn't hurt to have this wonderful dog to open up those meetings! ;)

Warmly,

Roz

Great Thread, and it is so nice to see the conversation flowing smoothly.

Yes, we shop at Wal-Mart, but absolutely not for clothing. Everything else though.

It has nothing to do with sweat shops either located here or abroad (they are right here in the good old U.S.A too!) If we considered all of the negatives about any company, there would be few options left for us as consumers. Quality clothing simply is not at Wal-Mart.

We shopped great after season sales at all of the nicer stores yesterday; Dillards, Bon Marche, Herberger's, and such (sorry if these are only known locally, but they are our upscale stores).

We made purchases totaling $232. Nine great name brand shirts for DH, 2 pair of Docker's, 1 pair of shoes, 3 tops for myself, four pair of slacks 2 pair of sandals. These are all first rate, high quality items - and will last several years. An average of just over $11 per item is perfect for us - considering that a few of these items were originally over $60.

Oh yes, also picked up a lovely formal pant suit for myself, originally marked at $165, marked down to $30. Now if that isn't a bargain not available at W-M, there just isn't one to be had. Give me quality any day.

Dressing on a cruise is very simple for us. Resort Casual is near to our normal attire - except for when doing yard work or other strenuous chores. We take along a couple of dressier evening outfits, but other than that, slacks, nice shirts, and decent shoes represent the wardrobe. Very easy to pack - with only a couple changes in shoes - and these must be comfortable.

SailAways: You are THE woman/man!!!! I, too, shop at Wal Mart (not for clothes but everything else). The folks that work there are about the most helpful people you will find in a retail store (short of Nordstrom's)! If they're treated badly by management, they certainly don't show it!

My DH is a staunch Union man and will not step foot in WM! So, I go alone or he sits in the car!

He's a CASUAL kind of guy and conversly I love to bring it up a notch! He says he gets a kick out of watching me "fuss"! (I swear he's laughing at me inside his head)! It's just the way I was raised ("don't leave the house without doing your hair, makeup and dressing properly" - those were the words of my mother)! It's very difficult to get away from what has been engrained in you! So, sometimes I overdo it but it's me!

My DH could wear shorts and Birkenstock's EVERYWHERE he goes! He's the father of 3 and PaPa (Grandfather) of 6! His heart is as big as his body (he cries when he sees a child or animal abused, on the news)! And, I adore him for who he is! :)

Oy! I'm going on and on! Pretty soon I'll be telling you guys my secrets!

See you soon!

Roz

Roz (that was my nick-name in college and when DH is fed-up with something annoying I'm doing, he still calls me that)

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE working dogs. Well, dogs of all kinds...but still. I'm always asking people about the dogs they use/train. I have some mobility problems sometimes and have thought about training a dog to help me around the house. I had a border-collie mix that I trained to pick up stuff and put things away...but I know selecting a young dog that can be trained takes a lot of skill (in a litter of 4 police dogs--who were easy to train, there was one lazy sweet little puppy that had absolutely NO desire to find anything, or corner anyone:D ...she's making someone a great pet relaxing pet, though!) I just don't want to take away a service dog from someone who really needs one all the time.

Lady Vidora: If the assistance of a Service Dog would make your life easier then you should go for one! That is why there are great organizations like Canine Companions for Independence all over the United States. CCI trains these dogs to help people just like you! Don't be so shy to apply for one!

The least little mobility problem can be a great distraction and a huge annoyance in one's life!

The amount of assistance that a trained dog can give you is unblievable! If you would like to know more about the process, I'd be happy to help you!

Just think you could bring your dog partner wherever you go and she/he would always be "there" to complete you!

Cruising is so much more fun with a Service Dog! You should see her in Las Vegas! :p

Love and Licks,

Roz

Is this message board for Walmart? lol I was reading about how we can all dress and then we go to Walmart and what value shopping it is? I think that's what Walmart is isn't it? A big huge discount store.

I agree everyone should be comfortable and I love to meet all people. I think most people just want to be accepted for who they are. Deep down people just want to feel good. I certainly do. I smile and people always smile back. I am looking forward to my upcoming cruise and seeing and meeting all types of people. Even the ones I would never like to be like.

Someone once told me that if there weren't people like the ones we chose not to be like... we would not know not how to act. But sometimes there is something to learn from everyone.

I am so glad that I saw this post. I am a "newbie" to cruisin and to this board. I am also a Redneck hillbillie which is a Southern Hayseed. My husband and I will be on the CB in Sept for our 20th anniversary. We married as babies right out of high school and are now raising two teenagers. We have always dreamed of the dream "hooneymoon" we never got to take and this will be it. We are very blue collar people. I work for an Orthodontic practice and my hubby is a self-employed heavy equipment mechanic and his idea of dressed up is having all the grease out from under his fingernails! LOL. Anyway I have felt same way about fitting in. We have purchased a few things, simply because we needed them since I dress in scrubs all week and hubby wears greasy work clothes. I began to really feel the pressure of formal night when I read that Princess really glammed it up. So I went to Dilliards and purchased a formal dress that I knew I would never wear again and cost as much the deposit on my sons Senior Portrait! After it hung in my closet for two weeks, I came to my senses and took it back-Went to JCPenny's and Dress Barn and bought two little Black dresses, shoes, purse, undies, a few little special outfits just for my hubby and jewelry, also picked up hubby some new shorts. One of the dresses and accesseries I have already worn to a wedding. All for about the same amount of money.

Will I feel a little anxious that I wont look as good as everyone else? Yes, but I would have felt that way in my more expensive dress also. I am just like that. I am a little uncomfortable in new situations, and we tend to draw a little attention to ourselves with our strong southen Appalachian manner of speaking. Anyway I feel better knowing that I am not the only one that worries about this stuff. I simply cant wait to go!!!

I do try to remain grounded, and am indeed a Hoosier, as was my daddy and his family, who taught me about always treating everyone with respect (Mom is southern, with a completely different set of lessons). I would see Dad say Hello to the Janitor and greet him by name, tho Pop was VP level at GE. I know that I'm no better than anyone else and am instantly turned off by those who think they are better than others.

We do live in Indy (actually, by postcode, Zionsville, w 93rd, some of the last farmland). The cherub is gone and I forget who has custody but it was news when it "left". I work in The Children's Museum - maybe you have memories of it? I grew up in Ft Wayne so never visited as a child but was lucky enuf this morning to be allowed by Collections to bring up a Sesame Street Grover to my office left over from when we had a Puppets gallery a couple years ago (tho we do currently have a Sesame Street travelling exhibit in).

I was born in Rochester, not too far from Fort Wayne. But we moved to Battle Creek, Michigan, when I was just a couple of months old, then to Indianapolis when I was ten, and finally, to Texas when I was almost 16. I went to Broad Ripple High School and lived at 49th and Park Ave., just a few blocks east of Meridian. I love Texas but I also loved Indiana and miss going there, now that I have very few family left there. It's amazing how many Hoosiers there are down here in Texas!

I can't say that I was raised with quite the same views as yours but I did acquire them, thank goodness, as did my parents. They were never really snobs -- I don't think folks raised on farms could really be snobby ;) -- but they did have their prejudices to overcome, just like many of their generation, and I give them credit for that.

I'll be thinking of you when the trees turn and the first frost comes. It will still be in the 80s here -- it's the fall when I miss Indiana the most! :)

I am so glad that I saw this post. I am a "newbie" to cruisin and to this board.

I am a little uncomfortable in new situations, and we tend to draw a little attention to ourselves with our strong southen Appalachian manner of speaking. Anyway I feel better knowing that I am not the only one that worries about this stuff. I simply cant wait to go!!!

Hi kembo,

My DH and I are the same... I wear scrubs at work (though I'm enjoying a summer off), and he wears his wranglers to work and around our ranch. We sailed this year with his friends from high school (30 years ago they graduated - sheesh) and their families. One works with him and also ranches, the other is a veterinarian and farms/ranches. Doesn't get much more 'rural' than that, but not one of us felt we stuck out in the crowd on our recent Princess cruise.

As for worrying over your accent drawing attention... I can guarantee the accent will be nothing compared to what you hear onboard, as most service staff have the very thick accents of their nationalities intertwined with their English. There is such a wonderful blend of people onboard!!! And I tend to accept everyone for who they are... not how they dress, or how they speak. Maybe I'm just oblivious:).

Jeans don't even bother me:eek:, though I personally wouldn't wear them to dine onboard.

Archived