Hey new guys..read this

Rustyone

I started reading this forum back in 2002/2003...thinking about taking our first cruise. We finally did it Feb. 2004 on a ten day Caribbean onboard the Dawn. We had a blast!!! I was reluctant for a long time because "some" people had a tendancy to put on airs. I remember some lady complaining because Princess no longer peeled the fruit! Lemme give ya the straight dope! These people are just like you and me. I met them! It cost me a lot to find out though and I don't want you new guys to do what I did. I guess we are "classed" at the lower end of the upper middle income; we live comfortably but simply; she buys a new car every four years but I have a 12 year old pick-up; we buy most of our clothes at Wally World and we shop at the dollar store a lot. There's a lot of things I would like to buy but can't afford. We would like to cruise every year but can't because we prefer to splurge on a mini suite and go for at least ten days.

Now, let me tell what I did wrong just because I had the wrong idea of the people I'd be with. I didn't want to stand out as the hay seeds we are so I bought $1500.00 worth of Travelpro luggage only to find our "investment" in a sea of Wal Mart bags. Then there was the "following" that painted the picture of a ship full of magnificently attired folks in tuxedos and flowing gowns, so for the same reason we bought $2,000.00 worth of Brooks Brothers suits and such. I saw two couples dressed formally during the whole ten days. Same thing with the everyday clothes...went to Land's End and Famous Barr when Wal Mart would have done just as well. We went for the cruise not the food but we went to the formal dining once as well as Sabatini's once...rest of the time we took our meals in the Horizon Court along with the bulk of the passengers in shorts and T's. New guys listen up. Dress in slacks or dressy shorts and collar polo shirts and you will fit in the whole trip. (I would stay away from jeans.) If you don't like suits don't bring one! Oh! And do not ever ask what extra's to bring. You might need some wrinkle relaxer (maybe) but leave the clothes lines/pins, night lights, extension cords, can openers, candles, stick up notes, sharpie's, cork screws, Kleenex, pliers and screw drivers at home. I had a 20 pound box of the stuff and never used it.

So get yourself spiffed up in Wal Mart's best, watch your manners a little bit and respect your fellow passengers, ignore the pretense some like to exhibit here and go have yourself a good time. We are going on a 14 day Caribbean in Feb. 2008, I'll be the guy with the hay seed in my hair.

I started reading this forum back in 2002/2003...thinking about taking our first cruise. We finally did it Feb. 2004 on a ten day Caribbean onboard the Dawn. We had a blast!!! I was reluctant for a long time because "some" people had a tendancy to put on airs. I remember some lady complaining because Princess no longer peeled the fruit! Lemme give ya the straight dope! These people are just like you and me. I met them! It cost me a lot to find out though and I don't want you new guys to do what I did. I guess we are "classed" at the lower end of the upper middle income; we live comfortably but simply; she buys a new car every four years but I have a 12 year old pick-up; we buy most of our clothes at Wally World and we shop at the dollar store a lot. There's a lot of things I would like to buy but can't afford. We would like to cruise every year but can't because we prefer to splurge on a mini suite and go for at least ten days.

Now, let me tell what I did wrong just because I had the wrong idea of the people I'd be with. I didn't want to stand out as the hay seeds we are so I bought $1500.00 worth of Travelpro luggage only to find our "investment" in a sea of Wal Mart bags. Then there was the "following" that painted the picture of a ship full of magnificently attired folks in tuxedos and flowing gowns, so for the same reason we bought $2,000.00 worth of Brooks Brothers suits and such. I saw two couples dressed formally during the whole ten days. Same thing with the everyday clothes...went to Land's End and Famous Barr when Wal Mart would have done just as well. We went for the cruise not the food but we went to the formal dining once as well as Sabatini's once...rest of the time we took our meals in the Horizon Court along with the bulk of the passengers in shorts and T's. New guys listen up. Dress in slacks or dressy shorts and collar polo shirts and you will fit in the whole trip. (I would stay away from jeans.) If you don't like suits don't bring one! Oh! And do not ever ask what extra's to bring. You might need some wrinkle relaxer (maybe) but leave the clothes lines/pins, night lights, extension cords, can openers, candles, stick up notes, sharpie's, cork screws, Kleenex, pliers and screw drivers at home. I had a 20 pound box of the stuff and never used it.

So get yourself spiffed up in Wal Mart's best, watch your manners a little bit and respect your fellow passengers, ignore the pretense some like to exhibit here and go have yourself a good time. We are going on a 14 day Caribbean in Feb. 2008, I'll be the guy with the hay seed in my hair.

:eek: I'm at a loss for words!

Good post! :) One of the great things about cruising is the ability to have fun whatever you do without worrying about "fitting in" or being up to some standard.

I'll have to try the hay seed sometime... :cool:

You took the "gamble" by spending all of that pre-cruise money. And, you let other peoples appearances spoil the feeling. Who cares about what other people think? When I cruise on 8/7 on the Crown, I am not bringing any jeans. I know I'll see "dpwn dressing" on the ship, but why should that affect me? It's my choice how I dress, and I'm going to feel good about myself. That's all that matters.

Well said. I have a lot more respect for Johnny hayseed who admits who he is, than for Mr Formalwear who's pretending to be someone he isn't.

There's nothing wrong with working for an honest living....and if your priorities leave little additional room for extras, there's nothing to be ashamed of.

Yes...I really did spend all that money. Of course on the bright side I can use it all the next time. I am also the type that is very sensitive to those around me. I do not like to stick out in a crowd. I perceived from reading this forum that I had to do what I did in order to be inconspicuous. It was not my intention to lay blame on the general populace, just those few who made it a point to be more than they were.

I I didn't want to stand out as the hay seeds we are so I bought $1500.00 worth of Travelpro luggage only to find our "investment" in a sea of Wal Mart bags.

At least you know your luggage will last a little longer than the Wal Mart version. I question where you were, however, when it comes to two couples dressed formally over the entire 10 days – maybe because you didn't eat in the dining room? And are you sure you were on Dawn Princess – she doesn’t have Sabitini’s…

We went for the cruise not the food but we went to the formal dining once as well as Sabatini's once...rest of the time we took our meals in the Horizon Court along with the bulk of the passengers in shorts and T's.
I think it’s great that you found comfort on a Princess cruise – Princess is after all trying to be the cruise line that appeals to everyone. But I think the important thing to say is that not everyone wants the same thing out of a cruise, and I think if you'd have spent more time eating in the dining room you might have a different impression.

At least you know your luggage will last a little longer than the Wal Mart version. I question where you were, however, when it comes to two couples dressed formally over the entire 10 days – maybe because you didn't eat in the dining room? And are you sure you were on Dawn Princess – she doesn’t have Sabitini’s…

It's possible he meant the other Italian restaurant. "Sabitini's" is spoken of so much in this forum, that's the first name that comes to mind. I've made the same mistake myself!

I think it’s great that you found comfort on a Princess cruise – Princess is after all trying to be the cruise line that appeals to everyone. But I think the important thing to say is that not everyone wants the same thing out of a cruise, and I think if you'd have spent more time eating in the dining room you might have a different impression.

bdjam: You are right: It was Sterlings, not Sabatini's. As for eating in the dining room my wife and are both somewhat on the shy side. I'm retired from the steel industry and my wife is an office manager, neither of which lends itself to interesting conversation. See ya out there.

Great post.. im a blue collar guy myself

but one thing is, on the cruise i prefer to dress up...i work hard for my money..i jump at an any chance i get to throw on my Nordstroms best and my bling...

if i ever see u on a cruise, ill be sure to look away with my nose in the air

I don't mean to ride a dead horse here but I gotta tell ya all this. Although I tend to keep to myself mostly, I made some quick friends. One was a retired grocery store owner, another owned a small trucking outfit, yet another a small construction company. By the third day my nickname became the "big tipper" (another mistake I made). My point is that every one of these guys had callouses on his hands. Aside from a select few, I believe they represented the bulk of the passengers

Interesting post, Rusty, and you made some good points. Another misconception that newby cruisers have is that everyone will look like the folks in the brochures - young, tan, blonde, great bodies, etc. There are women on the Cruise Fashion boards who have expressed fear at wearing a swimsuit onboard because they think they don't look good enough.

Cruisers come in all shapes, sizes, ages, and colors. Believe me, they don't all look like the people in the brochures.

Your words have "some" merit Rusty, but I am not a snob, I do not care what others think of me but I treat them with respect. I can eat dinner with the Queen, my manners at the table are impeccable.

But... I choose to spend my extra $$ in other ways, and vacations other than cruising. I occasionally wear expensive clothes, and don't buy them according to price or make.But if my DH regular work suits are Brooks Brothers than that is what is shoved into the suitcases. I prefer eating in the dining room, not the trough. I do find it in poor taste for men and ladies NOT to dress for dinner. I have had both Walmart luggage and good luggage. The better made luggage does last longer, hence I am spending less money in the long run. I not only take the power bar (for the video and digital cameras charging), but also a personal fan... you obviously have never had a hot flash:D

My tablemates have ranged in wide varieties of economic stability.... I couldn't have cared less, funny, neither did they.

I do alot on your list, and I've never put on airs. All I'm concerned with is having a good time. I am comfortable in who I am.

But you hit the nail on the head....... Respect your fellow passengers:D

This reminds me of working with some other parents at our school on a project. One woman, very tall and pretty, was being asked about her latest modeling gig. Later on, we were talking about going on cruises (I just came back from my latest) and she mentioned being on a shoot on a Princess ship. The next mailing I got from Princess, she was in some of the photos.

I am taking Blue and White denm slacks with either embroidery or beads and such .. I guess you would call them jeans .. I don't intend to wear them too dinner .. But I am so tired of don't take jean don't take jeans ... some of us love them for day wear

I didn't want to stand out as the hay seeds we are so I bought $1500.00 worth of Travelpro luggage

......so for the same reason we bought $2,000.00 worth of Brooks Brothers suits and such.

So.......which cost more........the cruise.......or.......the luggage and clothes....:)

I didn't want to stand out as the hay seeds we are so I bought $1500.00 worth of Travelpro luggage only to find our "investment" in a sea of Wal Mart bags. Then there was the "following" that painted the picture of a ship full of magnificently attired folks in tuxedos and flowing gowns, so for the same reason we bought $2,000.00 worth of Brooks Brothers suits and such...

I REALLY thought that this sort of behavior and insecurity ended in high school. I guess there will always be those who wish to keep up with the Jones; or at least their perception of the Jones. People who are comfortable with themselves, and their station in life, don't need to put on airs for anyone--whether hayseeds or multimillionaires. Surely, by the time folks retire, they know this.

Two formal couples in ten days? The rest of your post was believable, but most of the people dressed for formal night on the Crown. Not in several thousand dollar outfits, but up.

I thought most of his post was unbelievable-upper middle class and he buys most of his clothes at WALMART.

I buy most of my clothes at Diliards, Parisian, and Macey's but normally they cost less then Walmart because I hit the August/February sales and buy my stuff off season. I do this because I like better quality clothing but I am on a "beer budget" I guess. I would never go out and spend $1500 on clothing JUST for a cruise. I don't buy "cruise clothes" except for formal wear and even that I have a wedding or party or something where I get to wear it again.

I also shop at Marshalls and Ross a good bit-I can afford them year round-I buy at Walmart my Hanes undies and No Nonscense panty hose and that is it in clothing. I do buy some of my groceries and shampoo/cat food/etc at Walmart.

I consider myself just middle class-maybe slightly going to the upper end.

:( Why are we attacking the orignal poster? I found it refreshing...and while I'm buying a few nice things, I'm happy to hear that there won't be a bunch of snoots on board. Although, as in real life, I'm sure there will be some.

I think it's completely understandable to want to go to a nice place (cruise, fancy restaraunt, nice hotel) and want to look like you at least belong there. Even though we might not REALLY care what other's think, most people don't like to feel completely out of place.

:( Why are we attacking the orignal poster? I found it refreshing...and while I'm buying a few nice things, I'm happy to hear that there won't be a bunch of snoots on board. Although, as in real life, I'm sure there will be some.

I think it's completely understandable to want to go to a nice place (cruise, fancy restaraunt, nice hotel) and want to look like you at least belong there. Even though we might not REALLY care what other's think, most people don't like to feel completely out of place.

I was not atacking him myself-I don't know about others-but what I disliked was the tone of his posting -he seemed to be saying he was told he had to have expensive clothes to go on Princess-now there are a few who post on the fashion board who give that impression-but most people here at these boards are just regular guys.

You can't take one or two snooty posts and say the who crusiecritic messegeboard is saying that. That is what I resented.

Archived