What do I need to pack duct tape & bungee cords for?

Bungee cords

• Holding balcony doors open
  • Keeping 2 twin beds together.
  • Lock breaks on suitcase? Wrap bungee cord around.

Duct tap

• Repair hole in suitcase
  • Temporary hem in dress, pants, etc.
  • No bra for strapless gown? Click Here (Rated PG)
  • Battery cover broken? Duct tape it!
  • Mark the outside of your luggage so that it is easily reconized on the airport carrosel.

Seriously, we carry a small roll of duct tape whenever we travel. I have known people who have used it for bandages when nothing else was available.

Charlie

I've never taken either one, but here's my guess from reading these boards way too much :o . The main reason I've seen duct tape mentioned is to repair suitcases that get broken or ripped during the baggage handling procedure. Bungee cords are mentioned to keep balcony doors open on some of the cruise lines -- if you're lucky enough to have a balcony!

Haven't a clue but both seem to be high on a lot of cruisers lists of what not to forget. I think I've used a bungee cord here at home but for the life of me . . . I can't remember what for. Just know I have one in the garage. Never needed one on any of my cruises . . . but then I've never had a balcony (first time will be this January and I'm so excited). Duck tape? I have used that before . . . but never on a cruise . . . :p

The bungee cord is recommended for Carnival to hold your balcony door open. I cruise RCCL so I don't need it.

Duct tape has multiple purposes. Fixing broken suitcases is number one. But if your ship is rocking, it can be used to tape shut drawers and doors which can bang if the movement of the ship is right.

I've never packed or used either.

I believe in leaving as much at home as possible and travellling light. If you have to ask what an item is used for, you really don't need it.

If my suitcase were to fail, I'd pitch it and buy a new one. You can find them on sale on every cruise ship and every airport. Ships nowadays have sliding balcony doors, no need for a bungee cord. If not, just prop the door open with a chair. I have a sewing case the size of a matchbook, duct tape would drive me batty as a hem. The girls moved south a few years back, so I wear clothes that require a real bra. Plus, getting the tape back off your skin :eek: , forget wearing your bathing suit the rest of the trip!

I often wonder why so many people haul several huge suitcases (per person) plus carry ons and backpacks. Some cruisers look like they're going camping for the week :) Relax, the ship has everything but your clothes, personal toiletries (including a small first aid kit) and your camera, you need almost nothing else.

Kathy, I think you have been very fortunate to not have need of duct tape. If you are standing in an airport, and you have a broken suitcase, and you need to get on board, or somewhere you can get a new suitcase, you will bless the tape. Or, if something breaks,and you need a quick fix, you will be thankful. The travel duct tape is very small and takes up very little room. But, it is worth its weight in gold if you need it. JMHO.:D

well i guess happy ks cant join the who brings duct tape on a cruise club-

i have only had to use the tape once and i was glad i that i had it --i too like to pack light and the duct tape takes up a lot less room then the cooler packed with my bottled water and and smuggled booze and lets not even talk about how hard it is to get a bbq on board for use on the veranhah --- i just hate the lines on the lido deck by the pool

lets not even talk about how hard it is to get a bbq on board for use on the veranhah --- i just hate the lines on the lido deck by the pool
Careful! Those BBQ's are dangerous. They can tip over:eek: I would suggest duct-taping them down.

Much Safer:D

Charlie

The bungee cord is recommended for Carnival to hold your balcony door open.

I thought I read here somewhere where that isn't allowed. Of course, I've probably read 10,000 posts so who knows what I saw?:D

I'd love to be able to open the balcony door.

I took a small roll of duct tape but didn't need it. I guess IF the hem came out of my dress, I MIGHT have used it. I guess it's one of the things that fall under the category "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it". Bungee cords? Didn't take 'em, didn't need 'em.

I thought I read here somewhere where that isn't allowed. Of course, I've probably read 10,000 posts so who knows what I saw?:D

I'd love to be able to open the balcony door.

You can prop the door open but you shouldn't use a magnet to keep the AC running.

I always use my bungee cord for my crockpot and my duct tape for the candles.

I've noticed mention of these items, but I"ve never seen any explanation of their uses. TIA!

They are both needed for the snipe hunt at midnight after the Captain's dinner. :p If you don't have them..yell out at the pool and 5 people will offer to let you use theirs...they're the same people that have brought their own towels,lounge chairs and sun umbrellas..all wrapped in duct tape after they bungeed them together of course:D :D :D

You can prop the door open but you shouldn't use a magnet to keep the AC running.

I always use my bungee cord for my crockpot and my duct tape for the candles.

I shouldn't use a magnet?:confused:

WTH is the crockpot for (if you don't mind me asking :) ) ?

They are both needed for the snipe hunt at midnight after the Captain's dinner. :p If you don't have them..yell out at the pool and 5 people will offer to let you use theirs...they're the same people that have brought their own towels,lounge chairs and sun umbrellas..all wrapped in duct tape after they bungeed them together of course:D :D :D

I've heard that people will roast their snipes on their hibachi grills out on their balconies. They are also great in a smoothie, mixed with smuggled rum and a pitcher of OJ from room service. Of course, I take mine to the dining room, I'm on a cruise to be served, after all.

imnance, they are pulling your leg.

imnance, they are pulling your leg.

Kathy, surely you jest!

I live in Pa and have been hunting Snipe all my life. I have a few mounted and decorating my house.

True Snip hunters prefer to hunt them in the wild, using a pie tin and wooden spoon to flush them from the bush, while capturing them in a burlap bag.

I can only think that hunting Snipe on a cruise ship is akin to shooting fish in a barrel!

:D :D :D :D

We buy colored duct tape at Wal-Mart and mark our luggage the nite we set it out. Every time, when we disembark, ALL our suitcases are together! Off Radiance, we had 14 in our group, and it worked perfectly. (After waiting over 2 hours for 1 bag to show up years ago, we'll never not use the tape...)

• 2 months later...

Archived