Missing from luggage.

Bettcc

Has anyone found items missing from their suitcases which were packed last thing on the final night and was placed securely locked outside their room?.

I am missing my costume jewellry in a case and pouch also my spare sunglasses in a case, these items though very attractive have little monetary value but are priceless to me for sentimental reasons. There was no sign of forced entry to the case and as I was unwell on my return my case was not unpacked for some time.

Is it possible that someone has keys which enables them to unlock cases?.

Yes we were on a flight from Copenhagen, could it happen there? I do know that there is no way of getting the items returned or claiming on insurance as I have no proof, I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Yes we were on a flight from Copenhagen, could it happen there? I do know that there is no way of getting the items returned or claiming on insurance as I have no proof, I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Yes, things are stolen from suitcases everyday at airports. The airlines are now in the perfect position of being able to deny any responsibility. They point the finger at security who has the authority to open and inspect any luggage and security points the finger at the airline baggage handlers. And we know who loses in that scenario......the traveler.

We have all seen the documentaries (even before the security bag checks) of airline luggage handlers stealing all sorts of things from luggage.

We hear way, way more about theft occuring at airports than from cruiseships. It is very, very rare for someone to be sure something is missing from their luggage while on the ship.

We've had things "missing" - but later found them where we forgot we put them - in a different suitcase! We also think we've left a few things behind in ship cabins and hotel rooms - probably while rearranging contents of the luggage or forgetting to check the hook on the back of the bathroom door.

On a recent trip a TSA lock disappeared from one suitcase. We speculate the TSA person forgot to put it back on after closing the suitcase.

Nothing was missing from inside the case.

But "stuff" does happen.

Lost all of my jewelry in April post cruise. Had to check my carry on at the last minute not thinking about the contents at Miami airport. Everything gone when I got home. A lesson learned....

I later found out the MIA has the worst track record for theft of all North American airports.

I'm so sorry that happened to you and so angry when I hear that sort of thing. It infuriates me that some jerk thinks he has the right to steal from passengers. Simply reach in a bag and take what he wants.

Grrrr.......

What a shame they made you check your carryon. Why? Was it above regulation size? Didn't it fit under the seat?

I'm very sorry some of you have had thefts. I have been lucky so far, knock wood!

I have had to gate-check my carry-on when we change to a smaller plane. We fly out of Colorado Springs rather than Denver, so get a lot of the little planes and they gate-check bags that would normally fit in an overhead because space is at a premium and the plane is too small sometimes. We've even had them pull luggage OUT of the cargo area and store it on the plane, which is kinda funny because they take the bag away from us at the gate, then it reappears on the plane and gets stuffed in a coat closet or some other closet at the back of the plane.

That would make me so nervous, Scrumpy. The reason I bother with a carryon is because we can't trust the airline to not lose our valuables or necessities. I have to have my meds and certainly want to have my jewelry still with me when I arrive at my destination. Seems there are too many loose fingers along the way to be able to trust it out of our sight.

We've been lucky - nothing missing. What kind of lock did you use? I

f it's ones that come with luggage I don't think they are secure at all. We used to use small combination locks until TSA kept cutting them off. Now we use the plastic ties.

If I had to make a guess I bet it happened after checking at the airport.

I am sorry this happens to anyone.

Most know that theft from baggage is too common at most airports and rare as it relates to a cruise. It's curious given, if I am not mistaken, that all cruise baggage begins or concludes with longshoremen, not employees of any given cruiseline.

We probably all, should consider donning those body purses/ belt bags, better safe than fashionable, to carry meds and jewelry, while flying, to make sure that we arrive at our destination with what is most valuable/necessary, to us.

Sail7seas - I usually keep all valuables and meds in my carry as you do. This particulat time it was a late afternoon flight and we had gone shopping for a few hours. I had a large shopping bag with me....therefore I had to check my carry on since I had too many carry on bags. We were cutting it very close and had no time to really think about the contents or perhaps packing the shopping.

Interestingly they also stole my high blood pressure meds which apparently was a big deal(never mind my jewelry)...they were concerned that in the wrong hands the meds could do harm.

With the new security measures all bags are x-rayed. With an x-ray a bag or container of jewelery will show as jewelery and it is not possible to determine what is costume and what is real from just the picture. I would assume that any bag that shows jewelery could become a target to a dishonest person. When stealing I don't imagine they examine the take until much later to determine whether they actually have anything of value. We all need to think carefully about whether an x-ray of our luggage could create a picture that is attractive to a thief.

So sorry for your loss.

A few years back I was traveling with my Mom who was in her eighties at the time, and in a wheel chair at air port security. We had been to a family wedding so she had jewelery in her carry on including one very unusual piece that had some, though not great monetary value -- but yes a whole lot of sentimental value. Her carry on was x-rayed and then all of a sudden they decided to "sniff" her shoes -- they claimed her shoes sniffed positive for explosives and proceded to do an inexplicable dance of opening her bags, removing the jewelery pouch, and x-raying it repeatedly while storing it in a drawer between x-rays. My mother appeared very vulnerable, and despite the security agent's protests I insisted on staying with her and never took my eye off of the jewelery case. Eventually, after a long interview and all the screening, they cleared her and yes, they returned the jewelery, but I have often wondered what would have happened had I not been there watching.

I NEVER pack and place my luggage in hallway..dont care what they say..other cruisers could take it, or crew ..Ijust roll it out with me next morning and off I go.

Last cruise, I actually saw luggage fall out of netting and into water, they had to fish it out...and this was before the cruise left..so some folks had wet stuff to start...

Thats why we always keep our luggage with us.

Sail, it does make me very nervous! Normally, I pack according to what will be needed immediately and what I would not like to lose, so it is not a good feeling when those things get out of my sight. I used to travel with a large purse that was a portfolio hybrid. It's not very back-friendly, but I'm considering using it again. It will fit under the seat. It also makes me nervous that occasionally DH will have to gate-check his laptop. Everything is backed up here at home, but it'd be a real ordeal to put things right if it were stolen.

Arzz - that is a scary story indeed! I am glad you were with your mother. I have found it a harrowing experience being stopped by security a few times and although there's never been any contraband involved, some of the folks are so aggressive and threatening that I have wondered if they weren't in the wrong job!

We probably all, should consider donning those body purses/ belt bags, better safe than fashionable, to carry meds and jewelry, while flying, to make sure that we arrive at our destination with what is most valuable/necessary, to us.

I used a Healthy Back type bag last time, but since we had several cameras, video, binoculars etc., along with meds and jewelry, there was no way everything would fit into it! Good idea for the small things, though. I'm a real travel dork and used to ALWAYS wear my fanny pack, even if it wasn't particularly attractive. Then, they started counting it as a carry-on and since it wouldn't hold a lot, I had to pack it in a backpack or purse. It got to be like those nesting dolls - this inside that inside something else. LOL!

Losses:

Miami Airport - no locks - 3 short/top outfits (and sales tags) & 2 cartons of cigarettes - no claim

FLL airport - combination locks cut off - digital camera & case - TSA paid claim in full

On the Princess Caribbean - TSA tattletale lock cut off - nothing lost - vendor replacing lock

Candy <-- packing smarter these days

Retaining your carryon even for the transfer to the airport is also a good idea. On our HAL transfer from the Santiago Hilton to the airport DW gave her carryon, which contained jewelry, to the bus driver for storage in the bus’s baggage compartment. At the airport, the bag was nowhere to be found. The driver disavowed having seen it and suggested that perhaps it was still at the hotel. After much panic, it was finally found, having been given to another passenger with all the contents intact:D !

Has anyone found items missing from their suitcases which were packed last thing on the final night and was placed securely locked outside their room?.

I am missing my costume jewellry in a case and pouch also my spare sunglasses in a case, these items though very attractive have little monetary value but are priceless to me for sentimental reasons. There was no sign of forced entry to the case and as I was unwell on my return my case was not unpacked for some time.

Is it possible that someone has keys which enables them to unlock cases?.

20 plus cruises never missed a thing, but I also don't put stuff like jewelry in the luggage to be left out. I am sorry this happened to you. AS for keys, I have never trusted those keys that come with the luggage. I think almost any will open almost any thing. JMO.

Yes, things are stolen from suitcases everyday at airports. The airlines are now in the perfect position of being able to deny any responsibility. They point the finger at security who has the authority to open and inspect any luggage and security points the finger at the airline baggage handlers. And we know who loses in that scenario......the traveler.

We have all seen the documentaries (even before the security bag checks) of airline luggage handlers stealing all sorts of things from luggage.

We hear way, way more about theft occuring at airports than from cruiseships. It is very, very rare for someone to be sure something is missing from their luggage while on the ship.

Talking about stealing from luggage at the airport; about 15 or so years ago, my mother in law (now deceased) went to WV for Christmas to visit with her sisters. On her return somehow her luggage got lost. One piece only made it to Dallas. OUr SIL noticed, when she was picked up the piece that did arrive was tagged for the Bahamas. To make a long story a little shorter, she had packed money in her suitcase $100 bill given to her by her sister plus a little more. Being 90 at the time she was afraid whe might lose her purse. She also had some jewelry, but not much in the luggage. When it wasn't found, even though we notified the airlines about the luggage tag on the other piece we filled out the inventory and that was that. About a month or so later she did get a check for $700 from the airline. We had replaced most of her items for her. Even though her luggage was missing she really wasn't out much money thank goodness. Anyway not a month after the check arrived so did the luggage. The only thing missing: the cash. So she is up $600 instead of $700, she has all her old cloths plus everything we had purchased for her, but you know she died at 97 still upset cause she lost her $100.00. NMnita

Years ago, after a cruise to Western Caribbean, I had bought more than I could put in my suitcase, so I purchased another bag and packed it with Mexican blankets, perfume purchases, crystal figures, and other gifts. After going through customs and arriving at the airport, I realized I had not claimed the new bag before leaving customs. I had plenty of time to take a cab back to the port and claim the bag, but my traveling friends convinced me to just call and have it shipped to me. The people I spoke to with the cruise line as well as the people in customs were VERY nice and assured me they would ship the bag to me. Well, about a week later, the bag did come to my home..and when I opened the bag, it only contained the Mexican blankets($4 each)......all the expensive items missing......hmmmmm....lesson learned!!!!!! Made no claim....just aggravated with myself for not acting on my first instinct, and that was to return to the port to claim my bag! However, I am still enjoying the Mexican blankets as beach blankets, and they wash beautifully in the washing machine and dryer!

Archived