Diamond Plus vs. Diamond perks?

I did a search for this as I know it has been posted, but was unable to find. What is the balcony discount for Diamond Plus, please? And is it 3 weeks prior to cruising that you can ask for an upgrade to a suite?

I did a search for this as I know it has been posted, but was unable to find. What is the balcony discount for Diamond Plus, please? And is it 3 weeks prior to cruising that you can ask for an upgrade to a suite?

They generally will call you but yes you can call them.

Interestly enough, I am a D+ booked in a JS on SOS in three weeks. I called to ask about the upgrade and was told I was not entitled to an upgrade until I had 75 cruise credits! First time I heard of this!

They generally will call you but yes you can call them.

Interestly enough, I am a D+ booked in a JS on SOS in three weeks. I called to ask about the upgrade and was told I was not entitled to an upgrade until I had 75 cruise credits! First time I heard of this!

I had read here about a year ago that JS wasn't eligible for a further upgrade since it's already a "suite." But perhaps all the double credits for JS & up and 12-night cruises have created so many D+ passengers (and perhaps the suites are selling really well) that they're going to have to restrict the upgrades.

But I'm sure you'll call back, get another CSR and he or she will tell you something else, as is often the case. Good luck!

Diamond Plus here and on 3 out of my last 4 cruises called C & A before the cruise and got free upgrades from D and E category to an OS. Of course, this was based on availability. There has to be a certain number of Suites total available. Got to pick my own cabin number, too.

Dave

There has to be a certain number of Suites total available.

Dave

Yes 5 in each category(JS or GS or OS,etc)therefore always leaving out the possibilty of the RS.. darn! .......

Caviargal.....dont you think they should be able to upgrade you from a JS?? I do..not fair how they wont:mad: ....

I'm still waiting for my first upgrade. That's OK I generally like the cabin I book. Don't think Diamond Plus is all that special a few nice touches but nothing spectacular IMHO.

I tend to shop around for the best price on my cruises (we have been on more than 45 ships). Whenever we try to take advantage of the so-called "Diamond" upgrades we are told that since we got a "special" price we are not eligible. I guess if we want to pay a higher price we can get an upgrade (big smile). We do enjoy the Concierge lounge and priority tender tickets, but I will not hold my breath for any other real benefits.

Hank

I didnt think it mattered what you pay..........you are still entitled to an upgrade if you are DP and there are enough available cabins..........

. Don't think Diamond Plus is all that special a few nice touches but nothing spectacular IMHO.

I agree!!

In my experience, D+ is pretty lame for requiring 150% more cruise credits than diamond. The only thing we have received is a tour of the bridge and a choice of amenity while aboard.....wine, flowers, slippers, towel etc. Balcony discount is same as Diamond as someone already stated.

Out of 6 cruises since D+ we have been offered only 1 upgrade from a D1 to a JS.

It used to be that they would have a nice brunch for Diamond and D+, but now they lump all Platinum, Diamond and Diamond + into one group and do a large cocktail party similar to the C&A welcome back party. Who of us wants to be seen in the company of lowly Platinums? Hee, Hee, Hee.......

Oddly enough, I am a Diamond Member and I have already recieved free upgrades, ranging from $500 to over $2000.

Also, ther was an exclusive Diamond and Diamond Plus Lunch that my family attended last April on the Brilliance. No platinum members there! They were strict to see your invitations and also wanted to see your Sea Pass Cards.

I guess they don't want any free loaders in that luncheon. It was very nice. The loyalty ambassador came arounda and so did the captain. Best of all, my son had cruised more than anyone at the table, and he is only 15!!! (So far 11 cruise credits with 7 more by April 2007.) It was a great ocassion.

But pack to the perks, I have found that there isn;t a big difference between Diamond and Diamond Plus. I have been ona tour of the bridge multiple times, I have seen the kitchen, I have been upgraded from a veranda to a suite (several times). I think RCCL needs to work on enhancing that membership level a good bit.

We are Diamond members..............and so far have received two upgrades.............both from GS to OS. We will be Diamond plus in a couple of months, but with the fact that we always book suites.....GS to RS...........and have had tours for everything except the engine room on RCCL.............I don't expect much. I am told that there will be offers once in awhile to try a new ship..........but I doubt that would be in the offering till we have a few more cruises under our belt.

Thinking back.........I don't know how many cruise credits the most senior Diamond Plus member has.........but I have met some with over 150 credits.

Something smells fishy of the statement that Caviargal mentioned....that you need more than 75 credits for an upgrade. I don't believe that, unless RCCL has just recently changed the rules!

Rick

And thats the problem............seems before you are DP,they cater to you...but once you make DP.forget about it......they know they have you hooked!

And for the record,I have had tours of the bridge,the galley and behind the theater tours too(way before even becoming Diamond)..............its really not so special............most people can arrange for that...

But pack to the perks, I have found that there isn;t a big difference between Diamond and Diamond Plus. I have been ona tour of the bridge multiple times, I have seen the kitchen, I have been upgraded from a veranda to a suite (several times). I think RCCL needs to work on enhancing that membership level a good bit.

While I am not one to ever turn down any additional perks that RCI chooses to give us, my primary interest when I book an RCI cruise is to have a pleasant and enjoyable cruise vacation. As long as they deliver that experience I am more than satisfied, and any incidental perks I receive during the course of the cruise are just icing on the cake. I do believe that this fascination and concentration on the various perks provided is a classic case of not seeing the forest for the trees. Most passengers haven't had an opportunity to take a bridge tour since before 9/11, so providing them to a limited number of loyal past passengers is, to me, a nice gesture. Once you have done one, however, you probably don't feel it necessary to repeat the experience. That is one of the problems when you concentrate your attention on the perks. You tend to get a bit jaded and feel that RCI should be constantly coming up with new and different perks, to enhance the membership levels.

It might be good to remember from time to time, that RCI instituted these levels of Crown and Anchor memberships and attached certain benefits to the various levels, of their own volition and as a sign that they appreciate our continued patronage. How we have gone from that to a situation where we now criticize them for not continually enhancing the membership levels, as though our continued patronage demands that they do so, turns things upside down and runs the risk of exasperated officials saying at some point, that it just isn't worth the aggravation to try to satisfy a seemingly insatiable public, and scrapping the program altogether. It is one thing to suggest perks that they might add to their program; it is quite another to criticize them because what they offer isn't up to our lofty standards.:rolleyes:

In the long run, all they owe us is a good cruise experience. As long as they deliver that, complaints about perks are, IMHO, a bit unseemly.

We're Diamond and may get to Diamond + in a year or two but it isn't a goal of ours. Our interest is in finding interesting itineraries and good deals more so than earning perks from a particular cruise line. I really don't expect much more than we are already getting as Diamond members. Bridge, galley, and backstage tours are nothing new to us so I wouldn't consider those perks. Improvements in the C&A perks will be driven by competition without much regard to how the members feel. If one of RCI's competitors ups their perks for repeaters than look for C&A to sweeten the incentives. Not that many years ago we loyal cruisers got nothing more than the standard repeaters cocktail reception. Now we seem to look at perks as our due.

I agree with Patrick.......very well said Bill!!

Parrothead8........hang in there.........sounds like you are a long time cruiser.........and when the opportunity comes about.....strike and get it.

We have all of the perks that we could want........as RCCL treats us as well as any line that we have cruised with.

I don't know of any more to expect, as we have had wonderful experiences with RCCL since 2003..........so it's only three years.........but they have been wonderful to us.

As fairly frequent cruisers...........I think we are doing 9 trips this year.......I'm sure that there is a difference when you know some of the crew members, and they remember you..........as we remember them.

I cannot tell you why we have been upgraded. Maybe it's the luck of the draw!:D

Rick

Archived