Men & Luggage

OuiOnboard

I am an average man. Average men are often accused by average women of complaining too much about how much luggage an average woman needs for a cruise.

DW, and others I know, have experienced the inconvenience of having their luggage not get to the cruiseship on time. To prevent this happening to me, I always carry all my stuff (in airline std. carryon) onto the airplane and sometimes even onto the ship.

How many suitcases of which size would you, an average man (or your average man) need to carry sufficient clothes for a 14 day tropical climate zone cruise? This would include formal night gear and not include using laundry facilities, but one should not present an odour problem to other cruisers. Do we men really carry less stuff, or is it all a figment of our collective imagination?

Oui,

I think the ladies pack more. My DW uses the excuse that she's packing to cover all possibilities.

I myself pack 3 pairs of shoes, sandels, tennies and dress. These 3 pairs will get me through anything.

My DW on the other hand can have 6 - 8 pairs or more. And, in something I know I'll never understand, there are high heels, low heels of the same color. I think it's the shoes, that takes up all the space. That and all the extra clothes to cover any possibility. For me, some shorts, some t-shirts, and then the smart casual for dinner, and of course the tuxedo for formal nights. My stuff fits in 1 suitcase (with room for some of the DW stuff) and 1 carry on. That's all I'd need for any length of cruise.

Again, that's just my opinion. No judgement is being made because I wouldn't think of taking anyone else on a cruise except my DW (even with all her extra luggage).

Since I am the male --

I am relagated to two carry-ons.:mad:

Air Line weight considerations.

Two pair of shoes, 'bout five changes of underwesr. Tux , three pair of Levis, dress slacks, dress shirts and every day shirts.

Upon meeting the Cabin Steward, I hand him a bag of laundry:) .

Since I was in the Navy eons ago, I roll my gear. So, I have my "stuff"

pressed as soon as I get aboard.

Then, I depend upon the laundry

Her --

Two LARGE suit cases:mad: , plus a carry-on:confused:

13 to 15 pairs of shoes , 2 or 3 Formals (depending). assorted:

make-up, dresses, shorts, undies (heaven forbid if undies get sent to

the laundry), etc.

Y'All know that we will get "Flak" on this one:D

:D :D :D

REgarding men and luggage (the title of the thread) aren't the men supposed to carry the luggage? hehe. We do pack more, I seem to want to have choices every day. DH can decide what he's going to wear on a particular week MONTHS in advance, and that's what he'll wear. I have been TRYING to pack lighter, but I just can't seem to.:rolleyes: Poor hubby's back...he's a good guy.

How many suitcases of which size would you, an average man (or your average man) need to carry sufficient clothes for a 14 day tropical climate zone cruise?
I can answer this one with some precision: Exactly the same number and size of suitcase(s) that you'd need for a 7 day cruise.

For me, that's one wheelie suitcase, slightly too big for cabin baggage, weighing about 18 kg - that seems to be my average suitcase weight so long as I'm not trying to bring books to read (which I never have time to read, anyway).

I am female and probably the exception. I travel 42-45 weeks per year for work and learned how to do carry-on years ago. That saves 20-60 minutes each way each and every week. They don't lose my luggage as I don't usually give it to them -- except the smaller regional jets that gate check anything bigger than a banana. :rolleyes:

I have finally taught the DH how to pack less so he also does carryon. I find no prblem with 1 formal dress that I switch jewelry to make appear a little different. The addition of the DH's tux has been challenging, but we can usually still do with carryon if not going to Alaska where we need a few extra layers.

My dear sister, however, is a different story. Took her to Scotland with me and she showed up at my house with a big suitcase just for shoes. And none of them comfortable enough for walking. She planned to look good with matching shoes and outfits everyday. I feel travel is meant to "observe", not "be observed". So if I happen to wear the same pair of shoes to dinner each night, please do not judge me. I am just trying to get by a carry-ons.

After having her suitcase lost, DW is now down to one medium size case (checked) and one very large purse-type apparatus that she carries/totes. My shoulders and back are thanking her for the smaller medium size case every time we cruise, of late. :)

Here's how it works in our house. I get out three medium-sized bags, one garment bag, and two carry-on bags. I open them all up and make sure nothing has taken residence in any of the bags. I then leave and hit the "monster bucket" of balls or play a round, including a stop at the 19th hole. When I return, I use any remaining space to pack. That works out to about 20% of the total space. I usually make a comment along the lines of, "Do you really need all this s---?" and am immediately informed that several items went back into the closet. I sigh and pack my stuff in whatever nooks and crannies are available.

We are making progress, however. We have gotten rid of the two 72" bags we used to use. I could get away with one bag plus whatever space my formal duds take up in a garment bag. We always have at least 5 total bags. Do women pack more...I know one who definitely does! :)

... I sigh and pack my stuff in whatever nooks and crannies are available....... Do women pack more...I know one who definitely does! :)

Progress is good! Does DW read these boards? If she does, I assume your couch is comfortable? :D

spongerob...yup, sounds like the way we do it too. We got rid of the 72" bags though because we travel internationally and I can really pack tight. But when you get all that packed, you're over the weight limit now.

That also means we bring back less beer and chocolate from Europe....

I pack more changes of clothing than does my DH, but he insists on bringing his old scrunched up pillow wherever we go. We pack two large suitcases (as big as the airline will allow - but less than 50 lbs each) on wheels and carry totes with medicine, a change of underwear, etc.

Roberta

We start off with two suitcases each. Then Derfette says can I put some stuff in your suitcase since they are not full. Yea sure you can.

We are starting to intermingle our clothes so if one suitcase gets lost we still have some stuff to wear.

I usually take more than my wife. However, it is not necessarily more clothes. Having worked in the public sector outdoors for 30 years I always carried gear that might be needed for the unexpected. Hence, one of my bags has the 1200' of rope incase we need to climb down from our hotel room by going out the window and down the oustide of the building. Door security devices, extra portable fire alarm, water purifying device with cups, first aid kit for dental problems, broken bones, leather gloves (for sliding down the rope) and a few figure 8 climbing rings, climbing harness, compass, altimiter, barometor to know what weather will be like, coffee maker and cups, two-way radios, and a host of electronic gear and extras for all of them. I am a firm believer in be prepared, and I wasn't a Boy Scout. I also take my tux and a few clothes of various matching and non-matching styles and colors. After all I will never see anyone again so what does it matter what I wear. We talk about taking a the same trip twice but too many other places we want to see, so have never done one more than once.

I can't answer about how much for a 14-day cruise because we have only done 7 days

HOWEVER...my husband is the one who likes to pack too much. He always packs too many shoes....why do you really need more than one pair of tennis/running shoes?? He always has a separate bag for misc. stuff that includes his toiletries. I have never taken more than 4 pairs of shoes and I include the ones I'm wearing to get to the ship in that 4 pair.

So, I guess we are the exception that proves the rule. ? We tend to share luggage (execpt that one of His stuff) and usually take two checked suitcases, and a garment bag. He carries His bag and I carry a tote-type bag that has all the stuff like the cruise documents, airline tickets, passports, shore excursion info, etc.

. Hence, one of my bags has the 1200' of rope incase we need to climb down from our hotel room by going out the window and down the oustide of the building. Door security devices, extra portable fire alarm, water purifying device with cups, first aid kit for dental problems, broken bones, leather gloves (for sliding down the rope) and a few figure 8 climbing rings, climbing harness, compass, altimiter, barometor to know what weather will be like, coffee maker and cups, two-way radios, and a host of electronic gear and extras for all of them.

:eek: :eek:

I am an average man. Average men are often accused by average women of complaining too much about how much luggage an average woman needs for a cruise.

DW, and others I know, have experienced the inconvenience of having their luggage not get to the cruiseship on time. To prevent this happening to me, I always carry all my stuff (in airline std. carryon) onto the airplane and sometimes even onto the ship.

How many suitcases of which size would you, an average man (or your average man) need to carry sufficient clothes for a 14 day tropical climate zone cruise? This would include formal night gear and not include using laundry facilities, but one should not present an odour problem to other cruisers. Do we men really carry less stuff, or is it all a figment of our collective imagination?

We have a rule that we pack so the loss of any single piece of luggage will not "ruin" our cruise. So we do the following:

• Mix his/her clothing in every bag.
  • Carryon bag(s) contain the vitals: meds, swimsuits, 1 smart casual evening wear, 1 day wear (shorts/Tshirt), shaver. We don't check this bag.
  • All our formal stuff goes in one bag. If it gets lost at least we'll both be hitting the on-board formal wear shop at the same time.

We pack about the same amount of clothes but my shoes are bigger...

We'll just leave me and my packing habits out of this discussion for the moment............:D

I travel with my son and daughter, now 18 & 20, and I would say that while DD packs more than DS, he's no slouch in the luggage-filling department.

Archived