Not that I want to tick anyone off, but what is up with RC food

And there are two jillion McDonald's and the like out there but it doesn't mean they serve good food.

And neither did I. But they don't seem to be raging sources of disease either, and the poster suggested.

There will always be complainers...on every ship, on every line. I can happily say that I had nothing to complain about on my cruise. Maybe that just means I lead such a normally dull life that any opportuniity to vacation is darn hard to spoil. :D :D

But you have to watch where "they" are cutting corners. And if you're displeased, "shout" about it.

Back in the early 90's, Carnival :eek: skimped back on their menu, and even took lobster off the menu. I remember the outcry, and it wasn't long before things not only returned to "normal", they now get RAVES about their food. 5 star? Not even close, but it's good food.

Now where's my RCCL menu?

I cannot agree more. RCCL's food is just horrible. Everything tastes like it was boiled in a bag. How can they have such a loyal following when they serve this kind of food? I found their ships to be dirty and housekeeping just not up to other cruise lines. One thing that truly amazes me is that RCCL continues to let passengers serve themselves in the Windjammer. Thousands of people touching the serving utensils and food - is it any wonder that they don't have more severe outbreaks of the novovirus? Not for my money - food, bedding, housekeeping all inferior to most other lines.

Could you please elaborate on which RCI ships you have been on and when it was as well as which cruise lines you are comparing to? As for myself, I have found their ships to be extremely clean and well maintained with excellent housekeeping staffs. As for the bedding, I don't sleep much on cruises but when I do go to bed I sleep great.

So it seems that not only is food quality subjective but so are the other issues that you raised.

OK, I guess that is the difference between Carnival customers and RCI cruisers. I don't think the majority of people on a RCI cruise are ordering pizza and burgers for dinner... :D I consider the basics to be steaks, escargot and creme brulee` silly me! :p

I really think that is why they charge more for the carnival cruises! I am killing myself, I am going to force myself to stop before I go into convulsions. :D

jc

Still it seems you are missing the point of my post, I do not sail to eat burgers and pizza for dinner, but if you were to try these couple of very easy to get right items,and they were lousy, and then were to get a few not so great items in the dining room, the impression you might get, is "wow the food seems to have slipped a bit"! And I have not cruised carnival, in the past would not have considered them, but they seem to be improving their product, when other lines seem to be slipping a bit, if you take the time to read some expert reviews (I know that this is just their opinion too, but I hope they are a bit more objective)they often say that the food was surprisingly good on carnival. Thinking that there is a huge difference between RCI passangers and carnival passangers is a bit foolish, remember that these are both mass market cruise lines, catering to middle america, for the most part, and carnival is working hard to lose the party barge image. RCI is a very nice cruise line, but it is not a luxery line.;)

Remember my original post said "nail the basics" like steak, chicken dishes, seafood, and yes pizza and burgers, and the overall image could change, not serve pizza and burgers at dinner!:confused:

I cannot agree more. RCCL's food is just horrible. Everything tastes like it was boiled in a bag. How can they have such a loyal following when they serve this kind of food? I found their ships to be dirty and housekeeping just not up to other cruise lines. One thing that truly amazes me is that RCCL continues to let passengers serve themselves in the Windjammer. Thousands of people touching the serving utensils and food - is it any wonder that they don't have more severe outbreaks of the novovirus? Not for my money - food, bedding, housekeeping all inferior to most other lines.

O give me a break!:rolleyes: Warning! Worthless and pointless post that can endanger your intelligence by reading the quoted post!:p

jc

Still it seems you are missing the point of my post, I do not sail to eat burgers and pizza for dinner, but if you were to try these couple of very easy to get right items,and they were lousy, and then were to get a few not so great items in the dining room, the impression you might get, is "wow the food seems to have slipped a bit"! And I have not cruised carnival, in the past would not have considered them, but they seem to be improving their product, when other lines seem to be slipping a bit, if you take the time to read some expert reviews (I know that this is just their opinion too, but I hope they are a bit more objective)they often say that the food was surprisingly good on carnival. Thinking that there is a huge difference between RCI passangers and carnival passangers is a bit foolish, remember that these are both mass market cruise lines, catering to middle america, for the most part, and carnival is working hard to lose the party barge image. RCI is a very nice cruise line, but it is not a luxery line.;)

Remember my original post said "nail the basics" like steak, chicken dishes, seafood, and yes pizza and burgers, and the overall image could change, not serve pizza and burgers at dinner!:confused:

I saw your post last night and I saw some of the comments about the pizza and hamburger. I understood your point even if your only examples had been pizza and hamburger - if they make good pizza crust and good hamburger buns then their bakery and pastry area of the kitchen is probably good even for dinner breads and desserts, yes I do expect the cruiseline to bake their hb buns freash each day if they don't then I think that would indicate that most of their bread is not fresh. If the sauce is good on the pizza then they probably make good italian dishes. If the cheese is of good quality on the pizza and the hb then you'll probably get good cheese on other items. If the lettuce and tomato is good for the hb then your salads will probably be fresh too. I like your point about nailing the basics. Other basics I always check are chicken noodle soup (i like to see really tasty veggies, handmade pasta, well seasoned but not salty broth and nice pieces of chicken), caesar salad, baked chicken( if they can serve it hot, cooked throughout and juicy they're darn good),and apple pie ( I expect the crust to be flaky and tastey, and the filling to taste like apples, spices, and lastly sweet). Haven't had any of the basics nailed on RCI and I have on other mainstream cruises. I have had adequate food on RCI. I do think they spend their time and money focusing on other parts of the cruise besides the food which is ok for alot of people. anyone that says the main point is that they don't have to shop, cook, and clean up will be pleased with food on RCI. I would like more (I know a large staff of preparers and servers are able to do better than I do at home every night even if they are serving large groups; they do it on other ships and probably even on RCI sometimes)but I can revise my expectations and be pleased with the overall experience.

That's what I think is up on RCI, adequate food, I don't think the food generally stinks. :p

I saw your post last night and I saw some of the comments about the pizza and hamburger. I understood your point even if your only examples had been pizza and hamburger - if they make good pizza crust and good hamburger buns then their bakery and pastry area of the kitchen is probably good even for dinner breads and desserts, yes I do expect the cruiseline to bake their hb buns freash each day if they don't then I think that would indicate that most of their bread is not fresh. If the sauce is good on the pizza then they probably make good italian dishes. If the cheese is of good quality on the pizza and the hb then you'll probably get good cheese on other items. If the lettuce and tomato is good for the hb then your salads will probably be fresh too. I like your point about nailing the basics. Other basics I always check are chicken noodle soup (i like to see really tasty veggies, handmade pasta, well seasoned but not salty broth and nice pieces of chicken), caesar salad, baked chicken( if they can serve it hot, cooked throughout and juicy they're darn good),and apple pie ( I expect the crust to be flaky and tastey, and the filling to taste like apples, spices, and lastly sweet). Haven't had any of the basics nailed on RCI and I have on other mainstream cruises. I have had adequate food on RCI. I do think they spend their time and money focusing on other parts of the cruise besides the food which is ok for alot of people. anyone that says the main point is that they don't have to shop, cook, and clean up will be pleased with food on RCI. I would like more (I know a large staff of preparers and servers are able to do better than I do at home every night even if they are serving large groups; they do it on other ships and probably even on RCI sometimes)but I can revise my expectations and be pleased with the overall experience.

That's what I think is up on RCI, adequate food, I don't think the food generally stinks. :p

Thanks for getting what I meant, by the post, so many people don't. I am a dessert lover, and as you can tell by my username, this is my background. I love good bread, and desserts, if these are good I am usually happy. With my two cruises a while back with princess, I felt that they did a great job with pasta, but RCI did a bit better with desserts. I was definately surprised with my last RCI cruise that the food had declined, for example when Pork wellington was served instead of Beef wellington, I knew that corners had been cut, because pork tenderloin is far less expensive than beef tenderloin, but the dish turned out fabulous, still would have prefered beef. Also even though I am never impressed with buffets, on land or at sea, the buffet on the voyager, was not so great, but was always able to find something to eat, even if it was just two desserts for lunch!:D Having not cruised in a few years, I will go in with low expectations, because I chose my next cruise to relax and enjoy the clear blue water, and I am sure I will not go hungry.;)

A couple of things: someone mentioned lobster in the same post as cost cutting. When I took my mom and sister on their first cruise several yrs. ago after Sovereign OTS switched to doing 3 day cruises, we were surprised that NO LOBSTER was served! (By then, even Carnival had started serving lobster, whereas they had not been before.) Cost cutting, I guess? I was upset because my mom had been really looking forward to the "fine dining" aspect of the cruise, and most especially getting her lobster! :(

Then on our recent Carnival Liberty Cruise, we and our tablemates noticed the table next to us had this GREAT looking chocolate cake-type dessert. The chocolate desserts we had been getting all tasted like wax! (In fact, nearly ALL the desserts tasted lousy!) We asked the people what dessert they had chosen. Turned out they had gotten it not in the D.R., but at the special (of extra cost) pastry bar located elsewhere on the ship. They brought it to their waiter and asked him to serve it to them after their main course! The next day we were relating the story to some people from our CC group who had eaten dessert at the pastry bar. They said ALL of the desserts were much better there. So, what's the deal? As a matter of self respect, I'd think the head chef of the cruise would want ALL the desserts to be good. Could it be cost cutting w/the ingredients (milk vs. cream, etc)? Or is it a ploy to make us BUY good desserts? Both? Who knows? SOMETHING has changed for sure, but doesn't everything? ;)

Carnival is head & shoulders over RCCL.

Sorrry - Could not disagree more! I did Carnival once - Found their food to be mostly tasteless. In fact the only food item I truly enjoyed on that cruise was the mushroom soup (maybe the corned beef as well). Everything else tasted like "Hometown Buffet" fare at best.

RCCL, in my opinion, stacks up with NCL, Celebrity and Princess (better as far as I'm concerned).

Sorrry - Could not disagree more! I did Carnival once - Found their food to be mostly tasteless. In fact the only food item I truly enjoyed on that cruise was the mushroom soup (maybe the corned beef as well). Everything else tasted like "Hometown Buffet" fare at best.

I have cruised with Carnival 3x. I found their food - yes, even on their new ships - to be laden with salt and fat. Except for the supper club, I did not enjoy the food at all.

Guest cvbart
I have cruised with Carnival 3x. I found their food - yes, even on their new ships - to be laden with salt and fat. Except for the supper club, I did not enjoy the food at all.

The food on RCCL is about the same as a place like Applebee's.

Nothing special but you can live on it.

Same with Carnival.

Guest cvbart
A couple of things: someone mentioned lobster in the same post as cost cutting. When I took my mom and sister on their first cruise several yrs. ago after Sovereign OTS switched to doing 3 day cruises, we were surprised that NO LOBSTER was served! (By then, even Carnival had started serving lobster, whereas they had not been before.) Cost cutting, I guess? I was upset because my mom had been really looking forward to the "fine dining" aspect of the cruise, and most especially getting her lobster! :(

Then on our recent Carnival Liberty Cruise, we and our tablemates noticed the table next to us had this GREAT looking chocolate cake-type dessert. The chocolate desserts we had been getting all tasted like wax! (In fact, nearly ALL the desserts tasted lousy!) We asked the people what dessert they had chosen. Turned out they had gotten it not in the D.R., but at the special (of extra cost) pastry bar located elsewhere on the ship. They brought it to their waiter and asked him to serve it to them after their main course! The next day we were relating the story to some people from our CC group who had eaten dessert at the pastry bar. They said ALL of the desserts were much better there. So, what's the deal? As a matter of self respect, I'd think the head chef of the cruise would want ALL the desserts to be good. Could it be cost cutting w/the ingredients (milk vs. cream, etc)? Or is it a ploy to make us BUY good desserts? Both? Who knows? SOMETHING has changed for sure, but doesn't everything? ;)

Unless you have had fresh not frozen lobster then you have never tasted lobster.

So I never eat frozen lobster on a mass market cruise ship.

The food on RCCL is about the same as a place like Applebee's.

Nothing special but you can live on it.

Same with Carnival.

I do not eat at Applebees so cannot comment. I am not a fan of chains in general.

On RCI, the food is decent and they have always accomodated any special requests I have made. On Carnival, I was told that the food was already prepared and that was that.

If you have very high expectations then you will most likely be disappointted with the food and just about any other aspect of the cruise. While the food isn't 5 star it certainly doesn't stink.

So you are saying that I should go on a cruise with low expectations and then if anything is really good it will be an extra. Maybe the cruise lines should advertise this. I can see it now.

"Don't expect too much on our cruises". Average food, small cabins, bad entertainment, etc. GET OUT THERE!

Guest cvbart
I do not eat at Applebees so cannot comment. I am not a fan of chains in general.

On RCI, the food is decent and they have always accomodated any special requests I have made. On Carnival, I was told that the food was already prepared and that was that.

Even chains like Ruth Chris?:)

Even chains like Ruth Chris?:)

In a pinch, but never as a first choice and never if I am the one doing the choosing.

I was raised in the restaurant biz so I generally support locally owned small businesses.

And I prefer an eclectic menu so restaurants like Ruth Chris do not appeal very much.:)

In a pinch, but never as a first choice and never if I am the one doing the choosing.

I was raised in the restaurant biz so I generally support locally owned small businesses.

And I prefer an eclectic menu so restaurants like Ruth Chris do not appeal very much.:)

I agree, as usual, Caviargal, but I do like PF Changs. That food is simply addicting. Mongolian Beef, General Chang's Shrimp (not on the menu) and the lettuce wraps are things that I crave.

jc

I agree, as usual, Caviargal, but I do like PF Changs. That food is simply addicting. Mongolian Beef, General Chang's Shrimp (not on the menu) and the lettuce wraps are things that I crave.

jc

OMG the lettuce wraps!! MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm those ARE DELISH! :D

My last cruise was on Carnival in Jan on the Miracle. Prior to that I was on three Princess cruises and my last RCCL cruise was March of 2003. We will be on the Mariner in a month.

I cannot eat meat products, dairy, or eggs. This limits the types of food I can eat on a cruise. I usually cannot order off the menu in the dining room and have to have meals made for me. The buffets are very much hit or miss as many times the salads or hot veggies will have the leftover meat from the day before added, or they throw in a lot of cheese. Salad dressings...the last Carnival cruise they were all bought in bulk and contained dairy. They do not make their own on board anymore. In most cases dessert is out of the question. On my last Princess cruise they did make me apple and cherry pie for a few dinner meals. That was good!

I had good, but not great food on the last RCCL cruise. Will see what it is like in a month.

My last cruise was on Carnival in Jan on the Miracle. Prior to that I was on three Princess cruises and my last RCCL cruise was March of 2003. We will be on the Mariner in a month.

I cannot eat meat products, dairy, or eggs. This limits the types of food I can eat on a cruise. I usually cannot order off the menu in the dining room and have to have meals made for me. The buffets are very much hit or miss as many times the salads or hot veggies will have the leftover meat from the day before added, or they throw in a lot of cheese. Salad dressings...the last Carnival cruise they were all bought in bulk and contained dairy. They do not make their own on board anymore. In most cases dessert is out of the question. On my last Princess cruise they did make me apple and cherry pie for a few dinner meals. That was good!

I had good, but not great food on the last RCCL cruise. Will see what it is like in a month.

spaceguy, have you notified special needs in advance of your dietary requirements? If you haven't, you should so they can be prepared.

What type of special meals does Royal Caribbean offer?

Royal Caribbean International makes every effort to accommodate our guests' dietary requirements whenever possible. We can accommodate special needs such as, Food Allergies, Gluten-free, Vegetarian (except for vegan/macrobiotic) Low-fat, Low-Sodium, Lactaid/Soy Milk, Ensure, and Kosher meals at no extra charge. All guests must do is notify us at least 45 days prior to sailing. Here's how it works:

Send an email that includes the guests' names, reservation ID number, ship's name and voyage date to one of the addresses listed below.

Food allergies - foodallergies@rccl.com

Kosher meals - kosher@rccl.com

Indian-style vegetarian meals - Indianvegetarian@rccl.com

Gluten-free/celiac meals - glutenfree@rccl.com

Fax requests may be sent to 305-539-6018 Attn: Special Meals Request

E-mails will receive an automated response. Faxed requests will also receive a response provided the guest provides an email address. We kindly ask that guests do not call Royal Caribbean International suppliers with specific questions.

Special meal requests that are faxed or e-mailed less 45 days of sailing are dependent on the ship's product availability. We will try to accommodate to the best of our ability.

Archived