Juneau's best mellow excursions?

Whale watching is your best bet -- it is wonderful in Juneau. Only issue is whether your mom can handle the steps onto the bus and stepping onto the boat. If she can do that, I'd definetly recommend whale watching.

By the way, I'd highly recommend Captain Larry at Orca Enterprises if you decide to do a whale watching trip. Have fun!

I agree the whale watching is excellent for someone who has any mobility problems.

The HAL tour uses Allen Marine---I thought they were very good. My tour also included a stop at Mendenhall Glacier. There was a short walk to the Visitor's Center and a few more steps to view the glacier.

There is a lot of walking at Mendenhall Glacier.

I see this as a matter of perspective. It may be more accurate to say there's an opportunity for a lot of walking at Mendenhall, as there are some trails there. Walking them can be difficult for someone who has mobility problems.

But if you want to limit the visit there to the Visitor's Center and/or viewing the glacier from the nearby viewing area, then, no, there is not a lot of walking. I was able to do it easily.

There are two routes from the tour bus discharge area. One route does have a staircase that I found difficult. I can't speak to the other one. The bus pick-up area was closer to the Visitor's Center.

I am traveling with my 84-year-old grandmother and am planning to take her to Mendenhall Glacier. I agree with RuthC regarding the opportunity for a lot of walking. The only walking you have to do is up to you. The Visitor Center is a short distance from the parking lot but not far at all. Also, we will be visiting Glacier Gardens (I have not been before but my parents have). Apparently, you can walk around the gardens and then ride a 6-wheel ATV type vehicle up through the rainforest. My dad highly recommends it and he is not a flower type person but he thought it was cool.

Erin

Well it does involve walking six to eight blocks (though you can easily get a taxi from the ship) but my favorite mellow excurions would be to go to the Alaska Hotel, and sit in the bar and enjoy an Alaskan Amber (on tap). Or you might prefer the Alaskan Summer Ale. They have a variety of local beers on tap, and are very obliging to give you a taste of each, to determine what you'd like to order.

Once inside, after your eyes adjust to the light (or lack thereof), you will enjoy the dark paneled wood, with a staircase that goes up to a balcony area. The stair and balcony look like they could have been patterened after the old cowboy movie seen, where the bad guy is hiding on the balcony, gets shot, and crashes over the balcony rail to the bar below.

Plus, the staff are very nice and friendly. They gave my daughter an Alaskan Amber t-shirt when she mentioned that it was her birthday.

Of course whale watching is nice, but not nearly as mellow as enjoying your second, or third mug of Alaskan Amber!

Archived