glaswurst

I will be doing a 2-day pre-cruise visit to San Francisco prior to

a Panama Canal sailing September 29, 2007. I've decided to just

make a choice from Celebrity's hotel offerings which are the following:

1) Mark Hopkins Inter-Continental

2) The Argonaut

3) The Tuscan Inn

I'm not familiar with any of these properties and wondered if any of you

could enlighten me as to which might be an enjoyable place to stay.

Thanks,

Diane

While I have stayed in San Francisco several times, I have not stayed at these hotels.

I would recommend reading the reviews on TravelAdvisor.Com

Just go to their web site and search under hotels for San Francisco and you can read reviews on each of these hotels.

We have also cruised out of San Francisco and it is a wonderful city to cruise from.

Keith

Diane,

Since Celebrity is not offering pre-cruise hotels, if you still decide to go early, check out the Orchard Hotel. We've stayed there twice, with this spring being the latest time, and love it. It's right off of Powell and within walking distance to Chinatown and Union Square, plus the Powell cable car has a stop right at the corner. Ask for one of the front rooms with the bay windows. You can check it out on the TripAdvisor web site.

If you want to be in the Fisherman's Wharf area, I'd definitely choose the Argonaut over the Tuscan Inn. The Argonaut is a nautically-themed boutique hotel and gets very good reviews on TripAdvisor. While I've yet to stay there (I'm a local) I have been inside their public rooms (lobby, etc) and it's a beautiful hotel.

If you'd rather be near downtown (Union Square area, etc) then the Mark Hopkins is your best bet. It is at the top of Nob Hill with beautiful views of the city.

Incidentally, the Mark Hopkins can be easily purchased through Hotwire. It's the only 4-star hotel in the Nob Hill zone that Hotwire sells. Good chance it's considerably less expensive on Hotwire than booking through Celebrity.

Honeyclair, BEAV:

Thanks so much for your suggestions! I will look into them all.

My TA said the city offers all-day cable-car passes for about $11.

Knowing that, I suppose there is no such thing as an inconvenient hotel!

Diane

Diane, I forgot to tell you that the Orchard is a small, boutique hotel. They offer a free breakfast. The cable car stop is just below the intersection of Powell and Bush and I would jump onto the car when it stopped at the intersection. Most times the conductor would not ask for the fare (even though I had it ready in my pocket).

Thanks again to both of you. For a city that at first seems somewhat

intimidating to maneuver, it might not be that way at all.

Honeyclair: I will be traveling with my cousin who is also from

San Antonio, Universal City to be exact. Her husband is retired

Air Force. I visited for the first time last December and found

it to be a lovely city with GREAT restaurants!

Diane

Glaswurst, the all day pass is good for not only the cable cars, but also the streetcars and buses, so it is very easy to get to any sights, restaurants and hotels, and to hop on and off when you see a spot you want to explore.

Diane, you're very welcome. It really makes it so easy to see an awful lot in a short period of time. Also, the public transit workers are very "tourist-friendly" and are very helpful if you are not sure how to get to a particular site. They'll tell you which transportation to take, and the number. We particularly enjoyed taking the cable car from near Ghiradelli Square to Union Square, wandering around, then taking the streetcar back to the Ferry Building. The views as the cable car climbs the hills are amazing.

Have a great time!

Becki

Last September we went a few days early and got the Radisson Fisherman's Wharf for $70 on Priceline. Adequate hotel at great location. We walked to the pier!

A couple recommendations for SF: don't miss Alcatraz. You can book the tour ahead of time on line. Instructions on the site if you enter Alcatraz on search engine. Opt for the audio tour-fantastic. Take the earliest one of the day.

If you are physically able, we suggest walking over the Golden Gate bridge and back. About 40 minutes each way, with nice tourist info area at other side. Took the city bus to the bridge. Also, Golden Gate park (not the same as the bridge) is very interesting and easily accessed by bus. As I am a baseball fan, I also loved going to a SF game. There is an interesting free small maritime museum at the Fisherman's Wharf area. It is pretty much a touristy area, but the seals, musuem, etc. make it nice. We also visited the Coit tower and highly recommend that too.

We flew in to Oakland, which is a super airport and we were told much nicer than SF international. We ended up taking public tran (BART) to the Embarcadero area and actually walked to fisherman's Wharf from there. It was a good ways, but our bags had wheels and it was a gorgeous day. Arranged for shuttle from the hotel when we got back-we were able to walk from the ship without all the hassle and the shuttle was right on time. This would work for SF international too.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

bc2, you can buy the day pass from any of the transit drivers. The nearest BART stop to Fisherman's Wharf is the one at the Embarcadero and the Ferry Building. From the Ferry Building, you can walk down to Fisherman's Wharf or take the streetcar.

I have stayed at the Tuscan Inn and the Mark. The Tuscan Inn has a nice wine hour at night with good California wines complimentary.

it is about a 3 block walk to Pier 39. Rooms are nicely decorated and a good 3 star.

Mark Hopkins is better imho. The views are unbelievable from the Mark Hopkins. By cable car you can go one way down to Pier 39 area or go the other way and you are at Union Square. It is a solid 4 star hotel.

We stayed at the Hilton at Fisherman's Wharf, as we had a free night with points. It was a very nice hotel and an easy walk to Fisherman's Wharf or Ghiradelli Square. We walked over to Pat's for breakfast the next morning. It's a funky little place with great food. In our precruise wanderings, we walked past the Mark Hopkins, and as SHayes says, incredible views and terrific location.

The Mark Hopkins is the nicest of the three. SF is a relatively small city with great public transit. Taxis are plentiful and there is a lot to do. There are transit maps for a couple of dollars and free transit schedules from the booths selling cable car tickets. Watch your purse /wallet /backpack in crowded areas - like the cable cars and chinatown.

Choose what you want to see and do - plan around the 'walkable' areas - (union sq chinatown) (wharf pier 39) (union chestnut presidio) take a cab to and from the nicer restaurants at dinner you don't want to get caught having to climb up some of the hills. If you are there on Sat. the Ferry Plaza has a great farmers market. Food available. I enjoyed the tour of Alcatraz and Angel Island.

I am going to be in San Francisco post cruise, for three days. I have already booked the Tuscan Inn. Just how cold is it going to be? We will be coming from an 11 day Mexican Riviera, where we will be wearing shorts..to SF wearing a winter Coat? I just want to know how to pack for December. We plan to see ALcatraz and the usual stuff around twon..Ghiradelli, Chinatown...another other suggestions?

Mary Jane, I would be surprised if you are wearing shorts except in your Mexican ports. In late April, when we did the Mexican Riviera from SF, it was too cool and windy between SF and Cabo to spend much time on deck, let alone in shorts. A lot of people were in jogging suits or similar. I had a couple of warm-up suits that I wore in port in SF and San Diego, it was that cool.

I am going to be in San Francisco post cruise, for three days. I have already booked the Tuscan Inn. Just how cold is it going to be? We will be coming from an 11 day Mexican Riviera, where we will be wearing shorts..to SF wearing a winter Coat? I just want to know how to pack for December. We plan to see ALcatraz and the usual stuff around twon..Ghiradelli, Chinatown...another other suggestions?

December usually has pretty nice weather. But you probably should consider long pants. I used to use a light raincoat - when we went out in the evenings but I tend to like it colder than warmer. Check the average temps and that should help you decide. Like most places - plan on layering - if the breezes start up from the bay it can get chilly. Then the sun comes out wind dies down and its in the 70's.

There is a half price same day ticket center for theater tickets by Union Sq. Beach Blanket Babylon is a cute show - I have not seen discount tickets for this show its in North Beach. For a foofoo drink, appetizers and some lounge music (chk the time) the Tonga Room is something of a tropical spot.

If you're there on Sat the Ferry Plaza market has a farmers market 9-12. Some of the local restaurants have booths selling limited but really good food for lunch.

There is a saying in San Francisco that the locals know who the tourists are because they are the only ones in shorts.;)

It will be in the 50's to low 60's. Chances are it will be windy out on the water around Alcatraz - Hint-it is always windy out around Alcatraz.

It can be sunny during midday but when the fog rolls in around 5pm or so the temps drop quickly.

I am in the SF area every other week. Last week it was 61 to 70 degrees during the day while 100 miles inland it was 85 to 95 degrees. The lows in SF were in the 50's.

I stayed at the Tuscan Inn a little over a month ago and enjoyed it. However, I may not be objective. During their complimentary wine hour I happened to snag the only chair left behind the wine server. Not only was the chair extremely comfortable but the wine server kept filling my wine glass with an excellent California Cabernet Savignon that she only had a couple bottles of under the skirt of the table while she was pouring a lot of white zin to whoever else would take it.

Your ideas are fun. I also recommend Coit Tower.

Also, Only 1 block from the Tuscan Inn you can take the green street car for $2 all the way past Pier 39, SF Port, Embarcadero down Market Street to within 2 blocks of Union Square (and even farther if you wish). look-shop-eat around Union square and when you are ready to come back take the Powell Street Cable car back up over Nob Hill - get a transfer or ALL Day pass for all the transportation (They also have three day passes) stop in half way at the cable car museum- jump back on the cable car and it will deliver you back down to between Ghiradelli Square and Fisherman's Wharf at Taylor Street about at 20 minute walk from your hotel.

If you have transportation I recommend that you go to the west side next to the Golden Gate Bridge at the old fort - go to the far west side of the Golden Gate to Sutro's and Cliff restaurant for great views.

Thanks for all the great ideas and input on the weather. I truly appreciate it. We will be relying on public transportation. Flying in and out of Oakland. I guess we will arrange a super shuttle. We are a group of four adults with a lot of luggage. Thanks again.

Archived