How Do You Handle Your E-Mail While On A Cruise?

DonLou

A co-worker of mine just got back from a three week vacation. He had about 500 messages delivered to his email box in that time. :eek: I have an email account at work and one at home. My expectation is that I will also have as much email delivered by the time I finish my cruise. I know I can log onto the internet from the ship and probably process some of them (WORK!!!) but probably not. This is one more downer to ending a cruise. I'm just wondering if others face the same dilemma.

I turn off all work related groups and tell people to not mail me unless it is urgent. I then check my mail and weed like a mad gardener when I am onboard. It's not fun, but I am not in the position to ignore e-mail, since I have things that need to be done, whether I am on vacation or not.

Home e-mail... most friends and family know I'm gone on vacation so i don't worry about this one!

Work e-mail... I notify everyone that I work with that I will be on vacation and make accomodations for back up. Then I turn on my out of office and don't think about it until I return home. I am on vacation after all!

When I get back the first thing I do is sort by type of message. I delete junk mail, delete all the messages that delt with meetings or information that occured the week while I was gone and then I respond to any meeting requests. That ususally cuts my e-mail in half.

I'm luck to have a job that I can depend on my co-workers to cover me.

If I'm on vacation, I'm on vacation. To me that means no cell phone, no e-mail... it's the beauty of vacations!

I don't deal with it at all until I get home.

I don't use it for work, so it's all personal and junk mail. I trash the junk and only read the jokes I get sent from friends and family when I get home. I don't go near the computer lab onboard any ship :)

What is almost worse is all the junk mail out of the mailbox the postal worker delivers!

• 4 weeks later...

There is only one person in my department and that's me. I am also the webmaster for both our companies web sites, so I get a ton of email. However, that doesn't stop me from going on vacation. Not being able to answer email or phone calls is what I look forward to the most about going on a cruise. The way I figure is it can wait until I get back. If it can't wait, then someone else in the office will have to deal with it.

Like CBatSea wrote... everyone deserves a vacation. Enjoy your vacation! :)

I don't even think about it.

That's one of the nice things about cruising --- getting away from computers. I am on the computer 12 hours a day when I am not cruising. I don't go near on one the ship or in ports.

I see the OP is on his cruise now....however, for work e-mail set up an "out of office message" so that anyone who emails you will know they are not getting an answer until you get back.

Archived