For formal nights...would a dark brown suit be considered a dark suit?

Is brown "considered a dark suit" , NO, it's not. Black or very dark navy is considered a dark (aka formal) suit.

Also, I gather he'll wear brown shoes with his brown suit, which again, are alot less formal looking than black shoes.

CAN he wear it? Yes, of course. No one's going stop him from going into the Capt's party or into the dining room if he's wearing a suit and tie. But if you're asking if he'll be in formal attire, the answer is No, he won't.

I don't know if this is still the case, but my Father traveled as a salesman for over 45 years. He always wore a brown suit because his boss said it made him look more like the men to whom he was selling (who were rarely in suits).

He also had black and dark gray suits which he wore on the appropriate occasions. (Including formal nights on cruises:) !)

As everyone else has said, your DH won't be turned away, but a brown suit isn't formal.

Dh has a black suit, but he likes the brown one better. Would the dark brown be considered a dark suit?

it's dark but not the tradional dark suit meaning navy blue or black....but yes he can wear it and with the right shirt tie, etc he'll be fine especially if he really likes it then he should wear it ;)

I don't know if this is still the case, but my Father traveled as a salesman for over 45 years. He always wore a brown suit because his boss said it made him look more like the men to whom he was selling (who were rarely in suits).

I've never heard that before, but it makes sense. The brown suit looked less "executive" and more like "one of them" to his customers.

Dh has a black suit, but he likes the brown one better. Would the dark brown be considered a dark suit?

But check what I said in your other thread...

Dark brown (although can be stylish) is not considered a dark suit for a formal night.

Have him wear his black suit for the formal nights.

Use the dark brown suit for the "smart casual" nights.

But, open shirt, no tie.

He likes that better, and will get to wear it.

CJW

personally i think there is some flexibility on a cruise for formal attire.. comes to mind a gorgeous looking couple on a princess cruise a few years ago.. he in a cream colored suit with darker shirt and great tie.. she in a creamy colored cocktail dress.. they looked smashing...i know my hubby enjoyed wearing his tux but i used to customize it with fabulous cumberbunds, making him a little different than everyone else.. a personal favorite was the one he wore on caribbean cruises with gorgeous colorful parrots ...

Archived