Help me decide what dh should wear for smart casual night.

for smart casual, my fiance will wear a longsleeved dress shirt & tie with dress slacks. No jacket (he doesnt have one either)

i heard somewhere that there is no more smart casual, but my cruise docs say otherwise.... guess ill know in a week!

Are you saying that he does not have a sport coat and does not want to get one fro some reason?:confused:

If he just does not have one yet, I would definately go and buy one. ;)

If he does not want one, why?

Every man needs at least one sports jacket and a good suit in his wardrobe IMO.:)

I'm not sure what ship you're on so I dont know if this will help.

On X Zenith cruise at the beginning of July, it was pretty hard to tell the difference between smart casual and casual. I didnt see that many men in sports jackets. No one was turned away at the dining room.

Also last year on RCI Panama Canal Cruise on Serenade, I would say it was about 50/50 for jackets

Im not saying that you should break the "rules' but I am saying that lots do. Its all a matter of what your guy is comfortable with. My husband no longer will take a jacket for smart casual night. Still wears a suit or tux fr formal, though. He's not much of a dresser, but he could have worse faults I guess

Are you saying that he does not have a sport coat and does not want to get one fro some reason?:confused:

If he just does not have one yet, I would definately go and buy one. ;)

If he does not want one, why?

Every man needs at least one sports jacket and a good suit in his wardrobe IMO.:)

Other than one night per cruise on RCI, which may or may not happen, I can't think of a single occasion when my husband would need a sports coat. For formal nights he just rents a tux since his size tends to vary depending on how much he is jogging.

Other than one night per cruise on RCI, which may or may not happen, I can't think of a single occasion when my husband would need a sports coat. For formal nights he just rents a tux since his size tends to vary depending on how much he is jogging.

Everyones lives vary drastically.

My DH would wear a sportcoat for:

Professional Meetings

Business Events

Social Events ( dependant upon event)

Dinner

Nice luncheon

Church

Theater ( Not like the movie theater)

Nice evening 'out on the town'

... to name a few

Now, notice I did not say he WOULD definately wear one to ALL events, but it is hard to imagine NOt having one in the wardrobe.

However, if one feels it is not a necessity in their own life .... fine with me.

I was simply answering a question:

Dh does not have a sports jacket. He will be taking his suit for the formal nights. So, should he just go ahead & wear his suit again for the smart casual night? Do you have any other ideas?

I was unclear as to whether he was opposed to purchase one vrs. whether he simply did not have one currently.

With the clarity in question, my answer to her question was simply to buy a sportcoat.

It can depend on what cruiseline as well. Other than longer cruises, RCCL is really doing away with the Smart Casual night - even though they still list it in their documents and on their website for 7-night cruises - and even on cruises that do have it, not many people observe it, or know how to dress for it. But on a line like Celebrity, they do still have those nights, and they do observe them.

It is my impression that there will be 2 formal nights, 1 smart casual & 4 casual. The way the cruise documents make it sound, the smart casual is a jacket for men. The casual is the khakis w/ a golf shirt. NE1 else have any ideas? Thanks!

Because I have now read your other thread (and I'm going to answer differently there for that question)...

As far as I'm seeing your DH has a black suit.

Use that for the formal nights....

Then, he has a dark brown suit (which he apparently likes better).

Use that with an open shirt (no tie) for smart casual night.

You've solved formal nights, and for smart casual, he get's to wear the suit he really likes.

It totally depends on his coloring and his "boldness" (and especially YOUR dress/outfit for the smart casual night), but an ivory or creme colored shirt would be great if he's conservative.

If he's a little bolder and/or it "compliments" (not matchy matchy) your outfit for that evening, if he has blue eyes a blue toned shirt, if he has green eyes a green toned shirt, if he has reddish hair, then kelly green (anything muted, but warm toned).

These are all just examples without knowing more specifics.

Just my opinion, just sayin'.

CJW

It is my impression that there will be 2 formal nights, 1 smart casual & 4 casual. The way the cruise documents make it sound, the smart casual is a jacket for men. The casual is the khakis w/ a golf shirt. NE1 else have any ideas? Thanks!

I just saw that you are sailing RCCL on a 7-night cruise. Even though their website and the cruise docs state that there will be one smart casual night, there won't be - they have done away with them. All there will be is 5 casual nights and 2 formal nights.

Now, if you are cruising a ship with a specialty restaurant, the dress code at the specialty restaurants is smart casual.

Archived