Tux and Suit

I just bought a new Tux (complete set) and a new suit.I was very pleased how it turned out for me and shared this with some of our friends.The responses I received (in general) from my friends was>> ' this is why we don't cruise, you have to get dressed up for dinner or any of the meals in the dining room ' humph* >> Not for me being herded like cattle'.

I just clammed up and said nothing .

Has anyone else experienced this reaction? :confused:

Who cares what others think?! Maybe they're actually jealous!!

Get dressed up and enjoy your cruise. I'm sure you'll look very handsome in your tux and suit! BTW, I'm making the hubby wear a tux for our cruise in January.

Karen

Ahhhh, I love the way a man looks all dressed up in a tux or suit, especially a new one! :)

Have your friends never cruised before or do they just abhore the idea of dressing up for dinner? Cruising is much more than just putting on a suit/tux for dinner though. It's a part I like, but even people who prefer to go casual the entire cruise have options for dinner. I can't imagine missing everything that a cruise offers just because of a suit!

Folgy:

Yes, we've heard this response, especially since my DH dresses VERY casually in his everyday dress. He calls his knit shorts, t-shirt, white socks and athletic shoes his "uniform of the day". Neat, clean, and boring.

Anyway, people can't understand why he'd dress up, etc., etc. Our youngest son, 22, summed it up very nicely for his friend who we cruised with when they were 17. The friend was complaining, and Scott said: "You have to dress up to get the good stuff to eat."

Enjoy!! WE all agree with you. :D

Enjoy wearing your new clothing purchases. I'm sure that you'll look handsome for your 50th birthday cruise! Let your friends be jealous!:D

I'm purchasing a tux for my husband. He is retired and wears nothing but jeans everyday. He never even wears a tie to church. He loved the way that he felt when he dressed up on our cruise in March. (Bond. James Bond.) He decided that it would be a good investment, too. We don't have to keep paying for rentals now that we're addicted to cruises...

Exactly,

I don't get that many chances to dress up. I quite enjoy the look in my wifes eye when I do , as well as it just feels *nifty* :)

You sound like my husband, Folgy. I think he feels pretty "nifty" all dressed up, too. And I think he looks mighty sexy...mighty sexy...;) ;) ;)

Folgy, my husband did the same thing for our first cruise and has gotten plenty of use out of both. But in NY people do get more dressed up for things than in other parts of the country. We have been to a number of "black tie" weddings an used the tux and for the rest, he wore his suit. Unfortunately there have also been a few funerals :( , but there have also been Christenings and other happy times he used either one. So I am sure you will enjoy using both.:D

Folgy,

My DH dresses up for work daily (not always a suit but at least a shirt and tie) and still loves to dress in his tux on the cruises. I'm sure you'll look great. Enjoy!

Our friends do not wear tuxes on formal night but they do wear dark suits. My DH purchased his tux before our last cruise and plans to get lots of use out of it in the future!! :) He used to rent the tux but now saves $$ by owning one. Also the accessories are great gifts to give him at Christmas, Fathers Day and birthday. They're something he'll get use out of!!

HAPPY 50th this year!!

Cindy ;)

This is our 3rd cruise coming up. My DH surprised me by saying he wanted to buy a tux so he'd have it for this and future cruises. Turns out he feels it was more comfy than a suit! Last yr he was kicking and screaming b/c he had to dress up- he wore only a sport jacket and tie for formal night and didn't feel out of place that way. Go figure!

All you have to do is purchase one tux and you can wear it for all formal nights! We have to buy something new for each formal night and each cruise...gosh, I just hate to have so many pretty dresses!!!

I would appreciate some input...where do you guys buy your tuxes? I'd like to get my husband one (and believe it or not, he's the one who suggested it!) but don't want to spend a boatload of money. Any suggestions?

Most people who have never cruised have preconceived notions about cruising that are almost impossible to change. I have been advocationg cruising for 40 years and it still makes me crazy when I hear some of these ridiculous responses..."We have to dress up?"..."It's too formal"..."It costs too much"..."I'll eat too much and get fat"..."I can't stand being confined"..."I'll be bored"..."I'll get sea sick"...ad nauseum. LOL!!! Don't you just want to scream when hear these silly, idiotic responses???

How many chances do you get to wear a tux in your lifetime??? Savor the moment and enjoy...There is nothing more refined than getting together with 1000 other pax who are dressed to the nines and having a spectacular time. Walking through the ship on formal night is like going to someone's mansion for a dinner party. The "Great Gatsby" would be smiling and so will you!!!

ROSS

HI DAWEBER!!!

You can get your tux online...just shop around...should not cost more than $100 - $120 for the full treatment. You can also get a dinner jacket for $50 - $100 and then you have 2 tuxes!!! Keep your eyes peeled for a nice vest too...this really sets it off!!!

ROSS

Believe price to rent a tux is around 85 dollars. My dh bought his tux in Bloomingdales, as he needed a tux with a vest. (my son's wedding and he want his father in a black tux with vest) Not only did we have this wedding, we had another black-tie wedding to go to and my oldest son his getting married in six months, so he needed the tux for that--wound up cheaper just to buy the tux. Try the tuxedo rental shops, as they also sell new tux's. Also, try some of the department stores and mens speciality stores in your area and discounters.

Find this VERY hard to believe!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Did I step on your cornflakes or put too much sugar in your tea ...or something :confused:

Archived