Sail Away ... best port?

niblick

[font=Palatino Linotype][size=3]We have experienced some fabulous ports ... but sail away has made two ports very special.[/size][/font]
[font=Palatino Linotype][size=3][/size][/font]
[font=Palatino Linotype][size=3]1. Rostock, Germany ... it appeared the entire town lined the banks, waving, it was very impressive.[/size][/font]
[font=Palatino Linotype][size=3]2. Quebec City ... dock lined with people flicking their Bic's at 10 p.m. as we sailed away[/size][/font]
[font=Palatino Linotype][size=3]Any special sail away stories?[/size][/font]

[quote name='teedee'][b]I like leaving from Fort Lauderdale. Lots of folks on their balconies waving and holding up signs. Makes departing a little more special![/b]

[b]Terri[/b][/QUOTE]

Hi Terri !

I agree about Ft Lauderdale. I always get a kick out of the people who go out on their terraces and flash lights and use Air Horns etc. It really kicks the Cruise off in a very fun way !

Regards,
Andy

I'll have to vote for sailing away from Dover, England and seeing the white cliffs of Dover....or sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco...or Quebec City....or any other city we've sailed from....oh well...

I was ready to give a real SA (smartaXXed) response to this question. As a project manager when I was gainfully employeed, the answer to
What is the best project you have ever worked on......The answer is "The one I am going to."
What is the worst project you have ever worked on......The answer is "The one I am leaving."
Reversing this policy for sailaways, it becomes, "The port I am leaving was the best."
However, I have never experienced someone else celebrating our sailaway. To have someone on shore "Flick A Bic" for someone on the ship is awesome. To have strangers "Flick A Bic" is incredible. Keep that memory in your head. It will be tough to duplicate.
Les

The Big Apple............nothing like leaving NY or returning to NY......Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty.........a great experience.

I loved Ft.Lauderdale

St.Thomas - beautifull, magical view

Naples - Vezuvi and Capri are very nice

VilleFranche - see St.Thomas

Nassau

(Many ports in Black sea)

[quote name='kitty9']In order of preference:

Valetta, Malta
Santorini
Sydney, Australia
Oslo
The Maldives[/QUOTE]
Darcie,

I echo Valletta (incredible port to arrive in too) and Oslo. :)

Let me add - Lisbon. Sailing under the 25th of April bridge over the Tagus river. :eek:

Joe

New York by far is the best!!!
The NY Skyline, The Intrepid, Empire State Building, Ground Zero :( , Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and sailing under the Verazanno Bridge.
I work in Downtown Manhattan. I frequently spend my lunch hour in Battery Park watching the ships and ferry boats sail by and looking at the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. I can never get enough of the sights and sounds of NY Harbor. In fact I will be going there at 1:00.

[font=Century Gothic][color=darkred][b]I like San Juan PR. at night. Something about going by El Morro all lit up, almost takes you [i]back[/i] to the days of the pirates.[/b][/color][/font]
[b][font=Century Gothic][color=#8b0000][/color][/font][/b]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#8b0000][i]Bob[/i][/color][/font]

In addition to all the above I remember leaving Portland,Maine. As we left, I saw on the port side a building with what appeared to be a ? social club with ? members waiving with their glasses on high saying good bye. For a moment I almost wished I was with them, but only for a moment!!!

[quote name='Mike A']New York by far is the best!!!
The NY Skyline, The Intrepid, Empire State Building, Ground Zero :( , Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and sailing under the Verazanno Bridge.
I work in Downtown Manhattan. I frequently spend my lunch hour in Battery Park watching the ships and ferry boats sail by and looking at the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. I can never get enough of the sights and sounds of NY Harbor. In fact I will be going there at 1:00.[/QUOTE]
I am jealous!!! I wish I could spend lunch like this. :(

Archived