If I could change one thing about cruising, it would be . . .

Yellowjacket1

I've noticed a lot of very knowledgeable and experience cruisers on this board. I also know that with that knowledge and experience comes innovation, new ideas, etc. I got to wondering if I had one thing to change about cruising, it would be . . . what?

I think for me, it would be having the ships leave so early when we're in port. It seems there is never enough time to see all we want to see in a port and we're constantly cutting short our time in port to get back to the ship.

What are your ideas?

Steve

leaving early might be something I would change, but not always; I would diffenently change the booze policy: not being able to bring any on is a pain and the cost of drinks is getting out of hand. I know they are no higher than the major cities: i totally agree, but in the city, on a day to day basis we don't drink 3,4, 5 or 6 drinks a day plus wine with dinner or let's hope we don't. it would also be fun to go back to the days when horse racing was an activity on the ship and i would like to see the trivia games, demo classes, etc a little longer. None of these things make or break a cruise, they are just suggestions.

NMNita

I would love to see the price of bingo lowered. It's outrageous what they are charging now. I love to play bingo, but they are taking the fun away. I would rather spend $40-$50 a whack on the slots than on four quick games of bingo. It's just not worth it anymore.

I guess I'm the radical here. I'd change the image of cruising overall. I would create realistic expectations based on ships today and the price of cruising today. Cruising has changed dramatically in the last 15 years. And new cruisers today need to know that for $100 a day per person you can't expect the same cruise that people got a decade or two ago. Years ago it would cost $1,000 a person for an inside room and nothing was ala carte. Now you can get a balcony or even a suite for $700 a person and have options of where to spend additional money. On most lines cruising is not a high end vacation choice anymore. You can cruise now for less than what it costs for a week resort vacation.

As always...this is only my opinion and you will probably disagree with me. :)

Can I change two things :o

I would limit the number of passengers per ship and the number of ships in any port at the same time.

Imagine your favorite port add two RCL ships with 4500 passengers each:eek:

When I first cruised NCL most ships held less then 1500 passengers. Imagine how nice GSC was with only 1000 passengers.

Think about being the only ship in Barbados and it was the Windward before it was expanded into the Wind. St Thomas with only one other ship and it was the massive Monarch of the Seas :rolleyes:

The down side prices would go up but cruising would escape the cattle call it is turning into.

The question for all would you pay more for less - less people, less ships, less congestion, and less aggravation:cool:

I guess I'm the radical here. I'd change the image of cruising overall. I would create realistic expectations based on ships today and the price of cruising today. Cruising has changed dramatically in the last 15 years. And new cruisers today need to know that for $100 a day per person you can't expect the same cruise that people got a decade or two ago. Years ago it would cost $1,000 a person for an inside room and nothing was ala carte. Now you can get a balcony or even a suite for $700 a person and have options of where to spend additional money. On most lines cruising is not a high end vacation choice anymore. You can cruise now for less than what it costs for a week resort vacation.

As always...this is only my opinion and you will probably disagree with me. :)

We sort of agree but coming at it from different directions. If you want what was it will cost more then we pay today.

There are adults only ships already!!P&O have 2 :Artemis(which used to be the Royal Princess)and a new(2005) ship Arcadia,these are child free all year round.

Personally,I'd like to see tendering better organised, use bigger resort-based vessels to get more people off more quickly,I know why most lines don't-cost.Years ago most ships used their own lifeboats, but a couple of big local boats as well,now on the whole they are too mean to do it and it means long waiting times.

I would change 3 things:

1. Eliminate days at sea.

2. Never leave a port any earlier than 8pm.

3. Have some "adults only" cruises with no kids allowed.

You can eliminate days at sea by going on the land-based vacation. Sailing is what makes going on a cruise so relaxing.

Happy Sailing,

Monty

I know it is bucking the trend and it won't happen, but I'd like to see cruising return to being a more all inclusive vacation. I hate the recent trend to lowering prices and then nickle and diming for every little thing.

I'd like all the restaurants to be included in the fare and I'd like there to be coffee and soft drinks available through out the day without additional cost. I know it would be more expensive but I think I'd be willing to pay it.

I think you can get this kind of thing on lines like Seabourn now, but everything else they do ( smaller ships with higher crew/passenger ratio's, all suite accomodations, etc.) do make them much more expensive. I'd like to see the more mass market lines with the big ships return to real all inclusive sailings, I think they could do it for a higher price than they charge now but a lot less than Seabourn.

I don't expect to see it though. everything now seems to be moving to cheaper, cheaper fairs and more add ons.:(

The three things that I would change would be...

1. Better selections on the room service menu.

2. Wider selection of channels on the television.

3. Being able to watch your favorite team play (especially during football season).

I would change 3 things:

1. Eliminate days at sea.

2. Never leave a port any earlier than 8pm.

3. Have some "adults only" cruises with no kids allowed.

You would love my next cruise - Pearl Dec 2 - 10 sea days - no ports - still space available ;) ;)

I go along with Cecelia on this: Cruising is changing and that's good, but too many do not realize the trend and that is where the dissatisfaction comes in; I also like the idea of smaller ships, I think many of us want that.

But you know the more I think of it the more I would simply like to hear passengers say more positive and less negatives. If you survey your fellow cruise members about the cruise 80-90% will say what a wonderful time they are having but not elaborate much: the few you talk to that aren't having the time of their lives will go on and on.

I hate to bring another subject up: dress code, first of all I see both sides to the Jeans issue, but please, whatever the restaurant policy is, follow it and don't think it doesn't apply to you. Actually this applies to dress period. At least wear clothes that are clean, not your work around the garden clothes or your cheekie shorts.

The nickel and diming doesn't really bother me except for the cost of drinks: I feel, by keeping the prices down more can cruise; we have control over what we spend when we get on the ship. For those who would rather see the prices rise there are the luxury lines. those prices have risen, but cover everything. NMNita

You would love my next cruise - Pearl Dec 2 - 10 sea days - no ports - still space available ;) ;)

10 sea days, no ports!!! Sounds like heaven to me!

Port days are great because we get the whole ship to ourselves!!! (well, almost);)

Jackie

Archived