New to SeaDream

mariners

We will be on the crossing from Tenerife to Rio de Janeiro and have a few questions about SeaDream. How would most of you handle the "tipping question"? - truly included as on "Song of Flower" where the crew would not accept tips and the cruise line does not want to foster competition between staff and pays them well; not expected, but hope that some passengers will contribute to the "crew fund" (Regent/Radisson); not expected but hope that passengers will tip individually specific staff; or expected - just not solicited (Windstar)?

Are there clotheslines in the shower/bathroom that can be used to hang swimsuits/etc. to dry? Do they print out newspapers (the news at sea two to four page sheets) that are delivered daily? Are you able to convert currency onboard the ship or should we take currency for the countries we will be visiting? It would appear that we require visas for the Canary Islands, Cape Verdes, and Brazil - does the cruise line set things up with a specific visa service or are other passengers handling this themselves/through their travel agent?

Thanks for your help in answering our questions.

Mariners

I can answer a few of your questions. Tips are not required or expected at all. I always leave my rooms stewardess a little something that we picked up in port - chocolates or something like that. I have never heard of a crew fund on SeaDream at all. I don't believe anyone expects anything extra.

There are not closelines in the showers - but they do have several hooks that I use for drying. They also have complete laundry services.

A newspaper ( quite comprehensive for a shipboard paper ) is delievered every morning to your stateroom. You can convert currency at the information desk- the exchange rate is usually pretty competitive.

The cruiseline can give you an online visa company to use - just call reservations and they will forward the information to you.

YOu are going to have a great time. We are still considering that particular cruise as well - it sounds fabulous.

There is a crew fund on SeaDream ships but they do not promote it. We have donated as the crew, in our opinion, is very good and are a large part of the enjoyment of the trip. You have to seek it out and can donate at the concierge desk. Totally up to you.

Have a great trip.

Jim.

We donate to the Crew Welfare Fund most every trip. The money goes to pay for things used by all crew members, including those who operate behind the scenes but contribute significantly to passengers' enjoyment, such as crew parties, dvds, etc.

In my view, this is the best way to thank the crew for what they do for us. This is not something that SD promotes other than with a reference in some of the material in the stateroom.

• 2 weeks later...

We still tip individuals who serve us personally, as well as donate to the fund. It just feels "more correct" to me. PS - they certainly accepted our tips on Song of Flower also. We were bumped from our 2nd booking on Song of Flower when they removed it from service, and we were unable to use the future credit they offered. That is when we came to SDYC. Every cruise line makes changes that can affect travelling plans!

Archived