Best short cruise w/ kids?

beckzay

Hi, I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I can't seem to find anything when I use the search feature. Anyway, we are starting to think about planning our first family cruise (My husband and I have cruise 3 times by ourselves--Fantasy and Sovereign of the Seas) and would like everyone's opinion on which line/ship would be best. We are looking for a lot of activities-not too concerned about the clubs, cause I don't think the kids (ages 4, 11, 11) will want to use them that much, but want there to be enough to keep them busy. We want a short cruise (3-5 days) out of Florida. Not picky about food either, at least I'm not cooking! If anyone has any experiences they would like to share I would love it!

For me-- I would pick on the price. I have sailed both ROyal and Carnival. Loved both. Kids camps are comparable. The kids will have a blast on any line. Hey -they are on vacation.

all the major ones are prety much the same---also, INSIST your 11 yr olds go to the kids orientation the 1st night---it will be grouped to their age level and that is where they meet the other kids to hang out with the rest of the trip---with others, the kids might think it is cool to hang there---the pre-teen clubs are more loosely organized ("free game time in arcade, alcohol-free teen party at disco, etc.).

Beckzay

We booked a 3 day on Sovereign for Halloween to try the kids out on cruising. Hubby and I have both been on Fantasy twice and IMHO if the kids are not going to do the kids program then there is not alot for them to do on Fantasy. We chose Sovereign because it has the rock climbing wall, movie theatres and they stop at CocoCay for the day instead of Day at Sea. My kids are 6 and 15 and while I also do not think the 15yr old will want to do the kids program, I am sure my 6 yr old will enjoy it. I would at least think about letting your 4 yrs old try it for at least one day. Hope this helps.

Kelly

Yes, you have helped a lot. I, too, have been on the Fantasy twice (without kids) and agree that there didn't seem to be too much for the kids to do. I think my kids might enjoy the clubs, they are pretty social, I just don't want to "count on it". I don't want it to seem like I'm shipping them off, if they want to do it then I want it to be their decision. I think we've actually decided to check out NCL's Dawn out of New York. It's a longer cruise, but they have pretty good prices since we don't have to fly there...it'll save us over $1000 just on airfare. They seem to have fun ports for the kids too.

I agree with elaineo. My two nieces (1 pre-teen and 1 teenager) didn't want to sign up for the club, but they changed their minds after they saw the things they were doing. However, they never joined in because they were "too embarrassed" to join since the cruise already started. If we were to do it again, I would insist they show up to the orientation and then let them decide after that whether they wanted to do any of it.

• 1 month later...

We've done both Fantasy and SOS with a 6 year old. He liked Fantasy far better than SOS. (i like SOS better though) THe counslers were very energetic an fantasy. SOS was alot of coloring and low key activities. We are going back on Fanstsy for this reason.

Archived