Should you tip the Maitre 'd?

...If you go to him when you board and request a table for 2 and he accomodates you? If so, how much? DH and I are looking for some private time on an upcoming cruise and would like to make this request, but I'm not sure about tipping guidelines in this situation. TIA!!

Guest cvbart
...If you go to him when you board and request a table for 2 and he accomodates you? If so, how much? DH and I are looking for some private time on an upcoming cruise and would like to make this request, but I'm not sure about tipping guidelines in this situation. TIA!!

If your using a travel agent you might ask if they could set you up with a table for two.

Your certainly can tip, but you don't have to! (If you decide to, I wouldn't tip until AFTER I was assigned the desired table--looks too much like a bribe if you do it before!) How much is the table worth to you? $10? I'd think that would be about right, IF you decide to!

Once we had in laws traveling with us-- somehow they were put at a different table-- I went and waited in line-- didnt take too long.... he was able to change them to our table..... maybe I am cheap-- but I didn't know what was appropriate either --and gave him $10. Was I too cheap-- or was that ok? I would be curious about the table for 2 request too.

I've bee told via email from RCCL that you can request a table for 2-- but it will not be confirmed before boarding. Once you get onboard-- and see that it is NOT-- then you are to go see the Maitre'D to see if it can be changed. (So I guess you should be prepared!)

p.s. got interupted while typing this post.... so if this has bee said already.... sorry for the repeat!

I must admit on the majority of our cruises whether Princess, Celebrity or RCCL a Matre D is invisible. We have the setup we wanted as always, big bed - small table. The last night he magically shows up to walk table to table with his hand out & we shake it & mention who we are & nice to meet you.

I must admit on the majority of our cruises whether Princess, Celebrity or RCCL a Matre D is invisible. We have the setup we wanted as always, big bed - small table. The last night he magically shows up to walk table to table with his hand out & we shake it & mention who we are & nice to meet you.

On our last cruise we had a table in the back of the dining room right next to an empty table near the entrance to the galley. The Maitre' D was always there checking in with the head waiters to make sure things were going smoothly. He would always come over to our table and say hi to our 3 year old. Although you may not always see him around the dining room, doesn't necessarily mean he isn't working. At about 10:00 (we were in late seating), he would sit down and the executive chef (and sometimes a few other chefs) would come out and they would finally have a bite to eat.

My last cruise on the Zenith the Maitre D stopped at our table every night. We requested several things be made available to us and they were every night. We tip the Maitre D the suggested rate unless he performs some extraordinary service which in this case he did.:)

I don't think I have ever met "the" Maitre d' on a cruise, so no, I don't tip him. When we've changed tables it's always been a headwaiter or two at the station. We don't usually tip for switching our table. In Barcelona we changed from late to early seating, and I thought the HW was going to tip us, he was so thrilled to have another couple of seats to play with!

In the last couple of years we've had great attention from our headwaiters, who stop by every night to see how we're doing, so yes, we do tip them. In prior years we've had the "last night only" experience, and that's can be annoying, but we still leave the recommended amount because we know they do a lot of work that we don't see.

So if he does get you a table for 2(which we requested through our TA and we are soooo hopping we get one!)when your assigned table isn't one would it be better to tip then or just give it to him on the last night?

Yes. :) This is what I am asking. Should I tip when he gives us a table for 2 (assuming he does), or just the normal tips at the end? Do you even normally tip the MDH, or just the head waiter/waiter/asst. waiter?

The "matire d'" who sits there on boarding day, accommodating folks change requests, is actually just one of the headwaiters, usually. We met ours when we switched tables and again throughout the week, since he turned out to be our headwaiter (headwaiters supervise a group of waiters a typically stop by once or twice throughout the week to make sure everyuthing is going ok).

The ones who refuse the tip are likely doing so because they're already tipped by everyone (the tip for the headwaiter is somethign like 75 cents a day.

Once we had in laws traveling with us-- somehow they were put at a different table-- I went and waited in line-- didnt take too long.... he was able to change them to our table..... maybe I am cheap-- but I didn't know what was appropriate either --and gave him $10. Was I too cheap-- or was that ok? I would be curious about the table for 2 request too.

Not cheap..

We gave 20.00 when they finally changed our table....and he was very very grateful. I'm sure 10 would have been fine.

Archived