Visiting Petra from Aqaba

snoopyontrinity

Howdy snoopyontrinity!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the Need Help Forum! 04.gif

I fully understand your need to know more information. However, you have posted on the Need Help Forum where members find information about Cruise Critic's software and how to use it. This is not the place for your type of post and the information you seek is off topic. 05.gif

Per the Community Guidelines and to help you out, I have moved your thread to the Other Cruise Lines Forum where it will be more on topic. I hope you will be able to find it in the new location! Your fellow Cruise Critic members should be able to help you with more information there.

Glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic and I sincerely hope you have a wonderful cruise!

042202_1319_92_prv.gif Happy trails to you... 042202_1319_92_prv.gif

Kat 50.gif

We will be joining MV Discovery in Aqaba in November and won't be sailing for a day and a half. Can anybody tell me if there will be local guides selling excursions to Petra from the port at Aqaba?

We were on Discovery last month in Norway. The ship's tours are well run and though they may cost a little more than self arranged ones we find them worth it for the ease of booking. Are Discovery offering a tour to Petra? I would take it if they are and it is a must if you are in Jordan. Petra is beautiful.

David.

Hi Mufi!

We have used ship's shore excursions many times but just as often we have explored on our own in various ports of call and find that many times we see much more on our own. The excursions are usually - although not always - well organised and reasonable value for money. However, we object to spending time in compulsory souvenir shops, and especially, at restaurants having lunch. We would prefer to go without a meal and see as much as we can when we are only in a port for a few hours.

I have read that there are many great eating places right in the middle of Petra but the ship's excursions always include a lengthy meal in a nearby village.

But we will not miss Petra. Thanks for your reply.

Archived