RC formal nights- what is acceptable?

vavoom

Hi all. I am going on Enchantment of the Seas on the 14th with my 71 yr. old mother, just wondered what is ok to wear for formal night. She definitely doesn't own a full length dress. Are nice pants and a dressy blouse ok for an older woman? Thanks for any info!

Hi all. I am going on Enchantment of the Seas on the 14th with my 71 yr. old mother, just wondered what is ok to wear for formal night. She definitely doesn't own a full length dress. Are nice pants and a dressy blouse ok for an older woman? Thanks for any info!

The suggested attire is posted on the RCCL web site. And if you do search here, on "formal attire", or "formal wear", you will get enough reading material to keep you busy until your cruise date.

Short story - your mom will be fine in that. Everyone has their own opinions of what is "acceptable", so take them all with a grain of salt, and enjoy the cruise.:o

Same with my mom, who is now 87, but we actually bought a dress for the occasion. Probably the first time she had worn anything like this and she was so excited. The other night she wore a black skirt with a beaded top someone loaned her for the trip. She felt like Ms. Got-rocks, and it was so great to see her get to experience a trip like this.

That being said, you mom will do fine in anything she would wear to church. Some people dress, some do not. You will find shortly that this post will stir up a whole can of opinions. What I can tell you is this will be a priceless memory making this trip with your Mom. Be sure to get a photo of the two of you on formal night. It will be your most cherished possession.

Thanks for the info. I had the same question since we're taking our first RCI cruise on Rhapsody in Dec. Been on other cruise lines but wasn't sure what was acceptable on RCI. On vacation really just want to relax & not do formal dress. It's a personal preference, though.

My dear 92 y o Aunt Ruth has a wonderful time dressing up for formal night! We bought her one nice simple long dress that travels well, and she wears different accesories with it each night. She adores those formal pictures, especially with the Captain!

But if you don't want to do that, any nice outfit will do fine. If she thinks she looks good, she will look good! There will be lots of variation in the way different ladies are dressed. Not all will wear long gowns.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Mike

Thanks for the info. I had the same question since we're taking our first RCI cruise on Rhapsody in Dec. Been on other cruise lines but wasn't sure what was acceptable on RCI. On vacation really just want to relax & not do formal dress. It's a personal preference, though.

If you really don't want to dress up, there are other dining options on formal night. I don't mind throwing on a suit for the occassion. I rarely have any other reason to wear one.

Just a note; Church wear is NOT formal wear! It may be dressy, but it is NOT formal!!!!!! Go for something with a little sparkle--a little glitz! Even older women can pull that off!

Formal wear is part of a cruise! You will miss a major part of the essence of a cruise if you skip the formal nights. If you really hate getting dressed up, you should book on a cruise line that has no dress requirements, (like Windjammer cruises) or go to a beach resort where shorts are the outfit of the day! Dressing for dinner is part of the whole cruise experience.

Yes, this question always stirs up the boards...You mother will look great and fit in perfectly in a pant suit...or slacks and a blouse...or a simple skirt and top...or what ever she chooses and feels good in...on my first cruise I worried over what to wear to this 'Formal Night' that causes such a comotion on the CC boards...I didnt feel like my slacks and blouse were gonna be 'good enough' and I almost felt unconfortable going b/c I had heard so much of the 'you shouldnt wear this..you should wear that' on these threads...the truth is (as much as some dont like it) is, that you see all kinds of dress on formal night... And the 2nd truth is 'Formal Night' is simply not as Formal as it once was, at least on RCI... (On the Serenade last week in Alaska, both formal nights I saw jeans and t-shirts in the dinning room...and shotrs and flip-flops on the other nights...not a fan of the shorts/jeans in the dining room, but the people were seated just like everyone else)

So what ever dear mom wears she will look great and at 71 if anyone has the kahunas to say anything to her (they wont) ..she can just say shes lived long enough to pick out her own clothes, Thank you;) :p

Have a great cruise and dont worry one minute!:)

Ditto to Parrotthead's post. There is just way to much made of the formal night thing. I have "dressed" formally and been seated next to someone in jeans and it didn't have any effect on my cruise. I believe everyone should dress as well as possible, but if you don't own a "formal outfit" and cannot buy one, don't let that stop you from enjoying the dining room on formal night. I've notice people seem to always infer that those not dressed "appropriately" should go somewhere else and eat. NOT! The best piece of advice is to simply not stress over what others think.

Just a note; Church wear is NOT formal wear! It may be dressy, but it is NOT formal!!!!!! Go for something with a little sparkle--a little glitz! Even older women can pull that off!

Formal wear is part of a cruise!

As much as I enjoy dressing up, and would LOVE to see everyone else do the same, I am not about to tell the OP that her 71 year old mother must go buy a formal outfit. Come on...ease up. My mom is 74 - no way would I tell her she had to dress in a formal outfit if she did not want to. We all know there will be plenty of people there that will dress on the casual side for formal night. And we all manage to have a great time anyway. Imagine that.

Ditto to Parrotthead's post. There is just way to much made of the formal night thing. I have "dressed" formally and been seated next to someone in jeans and it didn't have any effect on my cruise. I believe everyone should dress as well as possible, but if you don't own a "formal outfit" and cannot buy one, don't let that stop you from enjoying the dining room on formal night. I've notice people seem to always infer that those not dressed "appropriately" should go somewhere else and eat. NOT! The best piece of advice is to simply not stress over what others think.

Come on cb....the OP did not say mom was going to formal night in a bathrobe and slippers...lighten up...

OP again I stress to you and others that may wonder...the views on this board are not representive of the majority of cruisers you will come into contact with...as stated what ever mom wears will be fine. :)

(besides there are more pressing things to stress over, like saving pool chairs and babies in the pool with diapers and them charging a whole $3 for JonnyRockets...):p ;) :rolleyes:

If you really don't want to dress up, there are other dining options on formal night. I don't mind throwing on a suit for the occassion. I rarely have any other reason to wear one.

Hey, I thought you were going to wear your dress uniform!

My DW "loans" my MIL tops, bottoms, shoes........or whatever her mother wants. Necklaces, other jewelry...........but I have to say, when it's all said and done.........she looks stunning at 82! My FIL gave his tux away to a SIL a couple of years ago.........and bought a nice black suit. It fits in perfectly.

There is something about dressing up that "just makes one feel good!!!"

Rick

On our last couple of cruises I wore a pair of blousy "Bandera Pants" that look like a long skirt with a sheer overlay while standing. I got them on sale - then I paired them with a sparkly top one night and a lacy top the next. I shopped for a while and got beautiful tops for a very reasonable price. They packed well and all I needed to add were some sparkly accessories. Very easy, and I can wear them to any formal or just "dressy" occasion depending on what I wear with them. No need to go to a great expense for something that she may never need again - like a long gown.:)

I must add that I do like to dress up on a cruise. However, I really did not focus on any one who wasn't dressed up. There were quite a few & it didn't bother me at all. However, it was fun to see so many stunning couples - I especially liked the military officer in full dress whites on our last cruise!

Simple ivory or black slacks with a sparkly, shiny, lacy, or animal print top would be a nice compromise if she doesn't want a formal gown or cocktail-style dress. Sears is now carrying quite a variety of reasonably priced separates that fit the bill......I plan on checking them out before my next cruise.

If you really don't want to dress up, there are other dining options on formal night...

Someone at that age on a cruise has little to justify for what they wear anywhere, anytime. If they came to the table on formal night in feathers I say good for them. The fact that a man owns a tux, or a woman owns a formal dress dosen't add a thing to their class. Owning a rope don't make 'ya a cowboy.

Let the critics listen to the stories of the people in their 70's being raised post great-depression and what little they had. Then discount the source of the gripes. My 79 year old dad told me (and a few others...) "If you ain't got something nice to say about someone, keep your mouth shut..."

Never, and I mean never miss a formal night dinner aboard a cruise for lack of what others define as appropriate. The numbers of people that actualy dress to the definition have declined in the 30 years I've been cruising, and that behavior is not going to change in the 3-7 days in salt air.

Cruises that cater to mass market crowds are much more relaxed in what you will see, and some that cling to the fact that lines like RCCL and CCL are the elegant ladies of the sea are missing the boat... No pun.

I hope your seniors and all the rest have a great cruise, and in the unlikely chance that someone has something to say about what someone else wears, well in the words of Ricky Ricardo, "Lucy, you got some splainin' to do."

My family and I have been on numerous cruises and never went to the Dining room because of formal and smart casual requirements. We just did not want to dress up the kids and ourselves, we were on vacation. On our last cruise, the head waiter convinced us to go on the 5th night out, a smart casual night. He said to wear whatever. I wore a caribbean shirt and trousers. I saw people in shorts, jeans ect. We had a blast in the dining room and I will not miss the dining room in the future. I plan on wearing whatever I want and dress the kids in something comfortable. After experiencing the dining room, the appearances of other cruisers did not and should not effect the dining room experience of anyone else. In the end, who should care what anyone else is wearing unless they get up on top of your table to do a dance?

As stated earlier, enjoy all of the dinners regardless of what you wear.

Bill

This subject always irritates me and is asked just to get a rise out of others I think.

My family and I have been on numerous cruises and never went to the Dining room because of formal and smart casual requirements.

Bill, never let the "stuff shirts" make you feel like you can't go to the dinning room because of dress. I'm glad you changed your mind. You paid for this cruise just as well as the next guy! Enjoy it!!!!!!!!! I don't think the way you dress makes the person either. I never heard how a person wearing shorts can effect the taste of lobster at a table.

Rccl has a suggestion of dress not a rule. If you feel comfortable wearing it then by all means don't let others discourage you. (swimsuits maybe pushing it tho' :D )

To the Original Poster. Let her wear what she wants, as long as she is wearing a SMILE, you know she is enjoying it!

Have Fun!

Finally, alot of you said exactly what is going on. The threads that discuss this (at least once a week) get new people, and old cruiser as well worked up. They go there thinking they must walk and talk a certain way and find out that the majority of folks are just like them.

It feels more like class warfare! It's give the snooty ones a topic they can feel like they are superior. :cool:

Simple ivory or black slacks with a sparkly, shiny, lacy, or animal print top would be a nice compromise if she doesn't want a formal gown or cocktail-style dress. Sears is now carrying quite a variety of reasonably priced separates that fit the bill......I plan on checking them out before my next cruise.

Sears???? You spendthrift :D Wal-mart has the same items...:D

Before anyone can answer this question you will need to define what you mean by "OK" and "acceptable".

If you mean will we be allowed in, the answer is definitely, Yes.

If you mean is it Emily Post/Miss Manners socially proper attire, the answer is definitely, No.

Archived