Crown Lounge and Rock Climbing Wall why???

Sheik

I'm curious what you opinion is about my two questions:

1. Every Royal Caribbean ship has a Crown Lounge and this looks truly amazing from the pooldeck. From a far distance you KNOW that's definitely a Royal Caribbean ship. :)

Question: NCL is copying the original Crown Lounge to their ships. What's your opinion about that? I'm disappointed, because the Crown Lounge make the ships very remarkable in comparison with all the other cruiseships.

image02.jpg

foto_333_1138010131.jpg

2. Every Royal Caribbean ship has a rock Climbing Wall. This looks very good at the Radiance, Voyager and Freedom Class ships.

Question: At the older ships it looks very ugly, because the wall isn't placed against the funnel. It's very noticeble from a far distance and the aft of the ship looks for this reason ugly too. It's an 'add-on' and not integrated as in the newer class ships. What's your opinion about that?

ship_sm.jpg

50111653.IMGP0868.JPG

NCL's ships still look nothing line RCI ships so if they have a lounge on the upper deck I don't really think it matters. Even if the ships looked alike I don't think it would matter either. As for the rock climbing wall, you don't see it unless you are on shore looking at the ship. When I'm cruising, I'm on the ship so my view of the ship is totally different and the location of the rock climbing wall really does not detract from the overall appearance of the ship. In general though, the overall appearance of the ship is of little consequence to me. My first concern is the itinerary, then things such as quality of service, quality of food, price, convenience ( how easily can I get to the port), etc. The overall look of the ship has never been a factor in deciding on a cruise. I've seen ships that I thought were nice looking and others that did not look that nice. However, I have never thought that I would not go on a particular ship because of the way it looks.

After seeing those pics, I am thinking I want to give Norwegian a try....I like all the colors!!

But to the comment, it really doesn't make any difference to me. I love the Viking Crown lounge - it is one of my favorite places. The more ships that have something similar the better.

The addition of the rock wall on some does not bother me either, I am more concerned with the fun I am having while on the ship rather than how it looks.

If you are bothered by the resemblance of the NCL lounges to RCIs Viking Crown Lounge (and as Nancy has already mentioned, the Princess ships top lounge is similar in appearance), then how do you feel about NCL adding a rock climbing wall to its newbuild, Norwegian Pearl. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and perhaps RCI can return the favor by including a 4 lane bowling alley on its Genesis Project ships.:D Besides with that NCL hull art, I don't think that many people will mistake an NCL ship for an RCI one.:)

The only Viking Crowns that even resemble the originals are those on the Sovereign class ships. Look at some pictures of Royal's original ships, like the Nordic Prince, Song of Norway, Song of America, Sun Viking.

It seems smart to copy or adapt highly popular features of the competition's ships. If wave riders and ice rinks turn out to be so popular that the ship that has them gets the passenger and the ship that doesn't have them does not get the passnger, then it is best to offer the feature, but preferably in a way that differentiates the feature or improves on it. ( I don't know how you improve on a climbing wall.)

The other option is to outsmart Royal Caribbean at its own game of offering creative and surprising amenities. The way to beat RCCI is to offer even more creative and surprising amenities. (Ferris wheels, aquariums, bumper cars, soccer pitches, carousels, petting zoo, whatever.)

I The way to beat RCCI is to offer even more creative and surprising amenities. (Ferris wheels, aquariums, bumper cars, soccer pitches, carousels, petting zoo, whatever.)

I think Noah beat them to the last one.:D

I loved the Viking Crown Lounge on Sovereign! The larger ships have the lounge divided into several lounges--on SOS, it was one large circular room! Great views! (At least it was before the refurbish--haven't sailed her since!)

The first three ships, Song of Norway, Nordic Prince and Sun Viking had Viking Crown Lounges that only went part way around the funnel. I remember how everyone was so amazed when Song of America came out and the VC went all the way around. I don't recall which ship had the first VC that could be reached by elevator, but I do recall that on the first three ships you had to go out on the back deck and climb a staircase to enter. Very interesting on a windy day if you were wearing a skirt.

The first three ships, Song of Norway, Nordic Prince and Sun Viking had Viking Crown Lounges that only went part way around the funnel. I remember how everyone was so amazed when Song of America came out and the VC went all the way around. I don't recall which ship had the first VC that could be reached by elevator, but I do recall that on the first three ships you had to go out on the back deck and climb a staircase to enter. Very interesting on a windy day if you were wearing a skirt.

I remember those ships and those days. It was my theory that a lot of people refrained from overindulging in those lounges because they realized that would have to go back down those stairs at the end of the evening.:D

If I remember correctly there was an elevator to the VCL on Song of America.

I loved the Viking Crown Lounge on Sovereign! The larger ships have the lounge divided into several lounges--on SOS, it was one large circular room! Great views! (At least it was before the refurbish--haven't sailed her since!)

That's what makes it great about all of the Sovereign class ships. :) They really get to rockin' when pulling out of port. Hang on and grab the wheel!

then how do you feel about NCL adding a rock climbing wall to its newbuild, Norwegian Pearl.
I had not heard this. Are they really ripping of RCI's gimmick.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and perhaps RCI can return the favor by including a 4 lane bowling alley on its Genesis Project ships
Don't wish that upon us. :mad:

I had not heard this. Are they really ripping of RCI's gimmick. Don't wish that upon us. :mad:

Yups...first the Crown Lounge and now they're copying the Rock Climbing Wall at deck 14. :mad:

Guest LetMeGo
Yups...first the Crown Lounge and now they're copying the Rock Climbing Wall at deck 14. :mad:

Yeah... :rolleyes:

That's almost as bad as RCCL copying the interior promenade from Silja Line. ;)

You're right, RCCL copied the promenade. But...pssst..nobody knows ;) Silja copied this from a French liner in 1931 (pics next post)

Nice viewblocking :(

Legend28.jpg

Ths beauty is gone...a silly and ugly looking thing at the aft of the Legend

Legend30.jpg

Guest LetMeGo

Great pictures. Thanks for posting them!

But it looks more like your standard two-story atrium cruise ships used to have until the 80's (lined with shops of course).

I think the idea of building a multi-deck street and lining it with cafes and shops, and placing cabins on the sides was developed at the Turku shipyard in Finland... And it's only natural they would minimise their subsequent work and copy the same feature to the RCCL cruise ships and Color Line ferries.

Guest LetMeGo

To get back to the original topic... Yes, copying is bad.

But it does save money from everybody involved, and most of the passengers won't know anyway. Either they will sail on only one or two ships, or be blind to even the most apparent commonalities (like the ones between the Voyager and Freedom ships :D ).

Too bad Royal Caribbean has no patent at the Crown Lounge, so no other cruiseline is allowed to copy that. :)

You point about the promenade and copying is clear and makes sense :) Thanks for your posts.

Guest LetMeGo
Too bad Royal Caribbean has no patent at the Crown Lounge, so no other cruiseline is allowed to copy that. :)

I can already imagine how that would turn out! :D

RCCL patents the Crown lounge, CCL patents atriums, NCL patents theatres at the bow of the ship, P&O patents outside cabins, Celebrity patents multiple restaurants, Disney patents children's programmes... And all the cruise lines are left with only copying their one and only original design. Or maybe they don't even have that. :eek: :D

Archived