What happened to the chocolates?

chefajax

Hi to All.....

Just curious as we normally don't sail on Carnival. We were told that chocolates on the pillows were just about stopped. We were on the Carnival Liberty for a 12 day cruise and we got chocolates just once. How long has this tradition has been halted? I would have preferred the chocolates then the towel animals. Thanks for the help.

Dennis

Hi to All.....

Just curious as we normally don't sail on Carnival. We were told that chocolates on the pillows were just about stopped. We were on the Carnival Liberty for a 12 day cruise and we got chocolates just once. How long has this tradition has been halted? I would have preferred the chocolates then the towel animals. Thanks for the help.

Dennis

No chocolates on the pillows!!!:eek:

I can't imagine - they were there every night of our cruise on Celebration in April.

We had chocolate every night on the Legend and all of our other cruises! Maybe your room steward either ran out or forgot. If you are on a cruise and they do forget, just ask your room steward and they will give you some. My kids wanted more one day and asked and received enough to get them through the cruise and more! It's always been a signature type of thing with CCL and I don't think they are that greety!

Not trying to start anything and please be kind, but...

I've read that at one point in time an airline cut back one black olive in salads in first class and saved $100,000 for the year.

We had chocolates on the Holiday every night and never ate a one of them.

Nice touch? No doubt. One I would miss? No.

Are you sure someone you were traveling with wasn't stealing the chocolates? On our first cruise, it wasn't until almost the end when I discovered that we got choc's but my son was eating them before we ever saw them!!:eek:

I CONFESS! I am a chocaholic. How could any sane person have "leftovers!" My husband and I eat them as soon as we see them on the pillows. If they stop putting them on the pillows we will just have to go and buy our own and smuggle a bag on board the ship!:D

I've read that at one point in time an airline cut back one black olive in salads in first class and saved $100,000 for the year.

See how things get messed up, the article was $40,000.00 per year and it was American Airlines.

We had the Chocolates on our Liberty 12 day last year.

Originally Posted by ala-kat

common urban legend

It was American Airlines and they really stopped putting olives in their salads to save big $$$.

Hi to All.....

Let me expand on the chocolate shortage. I was not the only cruiser, there were others from our board that were on this cruise to verify. If this holds true, then I have to NEVER take Carnival again because being Dutch, chocolate is deeply woven in my DNA :)......Dennis

Not trying to start anything and please be kind, but...

Those of you who identified American Airlines had it right. No "common urban legend" here. I was working for American (retired three years ago) and while it wasn't QUITE "over 20 years ago," it's close enough.

In the late 1980s, American's CEO Robert Crandall, the genius who came up with the hub-spoke system of airline routes and frequent flier miles, also instituted an employee reward system. Suggestions that saved the company money would be rewarded in any number of ways.

While most of the suggestions came from the onboard flight crews or the maintenance/cleaning staff, all work groups had an equal opportunity to participate. Each suggestion had to be carefully researched and documented, it couldn't just be "Hey! I have an idea!" (In fact, the program, still ongoing, is called "Ideas in AAction.")

The salad olives was not only a great success, but one which had PR "legs," and Mr. Crandall delighted in telling the story. I can't remember how much it saved (it was well over $40,000, and I think over $100,000 too) but it WAS during the period when all classes got full meals and it was on all salads. If I remember correctly, it was delineated down to the number of olive slices, like "eliminating the seven slices of olives on salads saved the company $125,000 in the first year."

I just got back from Paradise and had chocolates every night, once on the nose of my towel sea lion!

Jana

Archived