Grand Suite vs. D1 Balcony Room

KarGaro

Right now we have a Grand Suite plus an interior room booked for our family of 6 on the Mariner for February. But I'm really tossing around whether to switch to a D1 balcony room and an interior room to save about $2,000. The Grand Suite looks absolutely beautiful and the conceirge is a definite perk but it is enough of a perk to spend the extra $$$? There are a couple of excursions that I want to do and for 6 of us that is going to be expensive. I don't know how much time I plan on staying in my room anyway. Two rooms is a definite because we NEED two bathrooms but do I really need a Grand Suite? What would I miss out on by switching to a D1 room? Help!!!!

Karen

How about a compromise and do a JS?? You get a bigger room and two credits also. You won't get the Concierge but then how much can you really drink in a few hours each evening? Likely not $1000 worth!! We have done the GS and the room was beautiful and loved the xtra room. We would do it again. We are booked in a JS next year so we can compare. We are also booked in a D1 so we can compare that too. I know that's no help now but if I were you, I would do the JS..

I'm guess I'm leaning toward "no" because you expressed concern about the financial aspect.

The GS is fabulous, but if it means skipping an excursion or 2 that you want to take, doesn't seem worth it to me. I can't imagine you'd be able to consume $2000 worth of perks - the concierge club cocktails are only available for a couple of hours each day and you can't take them out of the club. The specialty coffees are yummy, but you can buy those at Lattetudes for $3-5 each.

Most of the concierge services are things you can do yourself - ice show, specialty restaurant, spa reservations, for example - although he/she can also get you out of a jam, for example rescheduling things if you're diverted from a port. Other perks include priority embarkation/tendering/disembarkation (I don't know how you would value that perk), little munchies in your room (you can get free food all over the ship) and 2 C&A credits (for $2000 you could take a couple of cruises).

I also don't know how you're divvying up the 6 people, whether it's 4/2 or 3/3. If you're putting 4 in the larger room, I'd go with torpeedo's suggestion of the JS for the additional room. The GS has upgraded furnishings, stereo, DVD player, etc., but if you're not planning on being there for much time, it won't do much for you.

I tend to agree with torpeedo -- I'm a BIG fan of the JS. You'll have a bigger balcony than a D1, more space in the cabin, and a bigger bathroom with a bathtub and better toiletries. You don't mention if you're a repeat RCI cruiser, or if you intend to become one -- if so, then the extra C & A credit becomes a huge bonus.

Nothing wrong with the D1, I'm sure . . . but reading between the lines, if you thought you could afford a GS to begin with . . . I would split the difference and go with the JS. Just my two cents.

By the way, you will LOVE the Mariner -- we're sailing her for the second time in a few weeks. :)

I am a grand suiter for life. That being said, I was on a D1 on the Mariner. In fact that was the type of cabin that got us addicted to cruising again. I would go with either the JS or DI. Depending on how many are going to be in your cabin the D1 might be a little tight. Look at you sq. ft. to help with the descison. Those extra $$ would absolutely help out with excursions and other expenses. You will love the Mariner.

We did something similar - on a previous cruise we booked a D1 with balcony for us and an inside across the passageway for Mother & her companion. We had balcony views and pleasures for all - especially the evening libation before dinner - watching the late arrivals getting back to the ship), but they had the privacy of their own room and facilities. I have not even seen a GS, but the big $$$ difference does not seem to me (on my limited budget) a very good value.

Karen~~

If your four children were going to all be in the interior stateroom, then get the D1 for yourself and DH, and save the bucks.

If you were planning on having even one of your children in the stateroom with you and DH, then get the Junior Suite.

Bon voyage~~

Leslie

A JS has lots of room, for 2, so, how many will be in each room? If it's 2 adults and 4 kids, I'd get a room for 4 for the kids, and a JS would be great for mom and dad! (It's a vacation--privacy should be an issue!!!!) A GS is grand, but I'd rather have the privacy!

Take the D1 and the inside cabin Save your $$$ for excursions. We are always on a budget and love to have a D1 just being able to sit out on a balcony is great :) This year we are trying a D1 Aft cabin We have heard alot of great things about them and can't wait. Have a great time on your next cruise :)

Kimberly

Voyager Western Caribbean 12/16/06 "Our First AFT"

Voyager Eastern Caribbean 11/05

S.S. Azure Seas Baja 11/90

Thanks for all of the replies. The rooms will be split 3/3. We have four children - 3 boys (17, 15 and 9) and 1 girl (12). My daughter would not be a happy camper sharing a room with her brothers. Two rooms are a must for the two bathrooms. My husband and I will really have to talk this over and make a decision. This is our first cruise and possibly our last as a whole family for a while. My oldest son will be off to college next year with the rest of the kids not too far behind and we will all have different school vacations - I also work in a school system. I really don't know if I want to spend the money on the gs at the expense of missing an excursion or two. I really don't see us spending a whole lot of time in our rooms and a D1 has a balcony which is what my husband and I both really wanted. I don't know if the conceirge is going to be that big of a deal for us - we don't drink that much and I plan on having most of my excursions taken care of before I set foot on the ship. Decisions, decisions! LOL!

Karen

Karen,

With that explaination, I am quite confident the D1 & nearby inside will be quite acceptable for all - depending on the privacy you and your husband expect / will accept for the cruise. You would save big $$$ and even in the GS, you are all still in there together. I would think the kids would enjoy a bit of 'independence' with their own room, door key, etc. but you could be together to enjoy the balcony in ports. Although unless your older boys are really exceptional, they may simply leave the younger to fend for himself. On most ships, the activities for the teens are separate from activities for the 'youngers' - and at 12, shipboard activities for the daughter will be interesting to decide. Yes, daughter may be less than happy about sharing with the boys, but then again, ask her - she may prefer sharing with the boys vs sharing with parents! :D Then again, with kids sharing a room, the challenge will be to decide who gets which bed!! (Draw straws??) Ah, decisions, decisions! When I was raising my family, we did not even think about ship cruises, so you and yours are most fortunate to be able to enjoy a cruise as a family.

Right now we have a Grand Suite plus an interior room booked for our family of 6 on the Mariner for February. But I'm really tossing around whether to switch to a D1 balcony room and an interior room to save about $2,000. The Grand Suite looks absolutely beautiful and the conceirge is a definite perk but it is enough of a perk to spend the extra $$$? There are a couple of excursions that I want to do and for 6 of us that is going to be expensive. I don't know how much time I plan on staying in my room anyway. Two rooms is a definite because we NEED two bathrooms but do I really need a Grand Suite? What would I miss out on by switching to a D1 room? Help!!!!

Karen

Grand Suite ANYTIME. We just got off of RADIANCE and had GS 1556 which was a hump suite. Lots of Room and you will not regret it at all. Our GS had a full sized TUB with Shower. THAT ALONE made it worth while. No cursing under ones breath in the tooth paste tube of a shower most other cabins had. Plus as my wife said...lots of room to actually turn around in.

GS sounds nice but, you seemed little concerned about funding excursions. I say stretch the dollar & come down a notch. JS or D1 w/inside. You'll still be on a very nice ship (my favorite so far) and have $$$$ left over to comfortable to do the things you and the family have planned on doing.

Why have the added stress? Make it easier on yourself & your pockets and relax, you'll have a much better cruise. Enjoy.

Given the price difference, I'd definitely go the JS plus inside or D1 and inside route. Even in a GS, six people together can be confining, especially with only one bathroom. The JS, if it is not significantly more expensive than a D1) would probably be your best solution, giving you, your husband, and your daughter more personal space, while the inside room should work out fine for your kids. To do this, you may have to technically book your husband in the inside room, but once you are onboard, you can switch around without much difficulty.:)

We have had a GS on Voyager and we loved having the room and having the Concierge Lounge in the evening.

We have also had a D1 the last 2 cruises and for the money I would take the D1 and save yourself a bunch of money.

The Concierge Lounge is not worth $2000 more.

My wife and I had 3-4 cocktails a night and some hors d'oevre's that they serve and no way is this worth the extra money.

For $2000, that should take care of your excursions and most if not all of your Sea Pass accounts.

4 of us were on our last cruise and $1500 took care of our Sea Pass account, excursions and souvenirs . We did not scrimp at all either.

Bob:)

Mother and her friend are sailing on SOS to Panama Canal and are in GS. I was thinking of sending wine/strawberries or champagne to their cabin. But, if they'll receive that as a perk of being in a GS, maybe I should send flowers. What do you think? Thanks for your advice. :)

We also cruise with our 4 children - also 3 boys and 1 girl and most cruises, we got 2 E1 triple cabins next to each other with the 3 boys in one and us and our daughter in the other. Although our last summer's cruise, the daughter (20) then cruised in a separate cabins with friends. For next summer's cruise, we again got the E1 triple cabins, but were able to get the corner AFT and next door on the 7th floor (Mariner). The balconies are a little bit bigger. Next year, daughter will also be in another cabin with friends (no more sharing with parents).

Flowers would be a nice touch, depending on the length of the cruise. I had flowers last the entire lenght of the seven day cruise on the Mariner. I just added some fresh water from day to day. In fact I had to leave them on the ship.

In the GS you will get choc. strawberries just a few one time, cookies another time. The Choc. covered candies are also nice or the terry robes which you get to use but do not get to keep make a nice gift. I guess you have visited the gift page for rccl. Double check to make sure the gift card is enclosed. There was a mixup and we rc'd another person's gift. Someone came and removed it.

Flowers would be a nice touch, depending on the length of the cruise. I had flowers last the entire lenght of the seven day cruise on the Mariner. I just added some fresh water from day to day. In fact I had to leave them on the ship.

In the GS you will get choc. strawberries just a few one time, cookies another time. The Choc. covered candies are also nice or the terry robes which you get to use but do not get to keep make a nice gift. I guess you have visited the gift page for rccl. Double check to make sure the gift card is enclosed. There was a mixup and we rc'd another person's gift. Someone came and removed it.

Thank you so much. It's a 13 day cruise so I will definitely do the flowers instead of candy, etc. You've been very helpful and I hope you enjoy your next vacation. Life's good! :)

One thing to think of, if you have the boys in an inside cabin and you have a balcony, no doubt they will be spending some time on your balcony. There is not much room on the D1 balconys, 50 sq. ft. as opposed to 70 sq. ft. in a JS.

I think I'd do two D1's or a JS and an inside.

There is also about 80 sq. ft. more floor space in the JS, that is a lot of space on a ship. More closet space, larger bathroom, enough space for more than one person to walk through the cabin.

Believe me, we've spent a week in a balcony cabin with 4 of us, there is really only room for 2. Three will be tight. It's kind of like spending the week in a walk-in closet together.

Archived