ASIAN Ports - Independent Travel Tips

mikesierra

My wife and I are booked on the cruise of a lifetime on the Oceania's NAUTICA, Hong Kong-Athens Mar 31, 2007 but wonder if what has worked before applies to this cruise.

On our previous cruises in Europe and North America we have mostly opted to travel independently, choosing only a few cruiseline tours. This has worked magnificiently for us .

Our interests include the highlights of architecture and culture, lunch at an authentic (but safe and clean) local restaurant, local shops (my wife must buy a yard of local fabric for the world journey quilt she is making), people watching and learning about local life from talking with locals.

We are prepared to hire a taxi or a private car with driver and an English speaking tour guide where necessary, and to travel on public transit when practical.

Any tips or suggestions in general, or specifically about any one of these ports, will be appreciated.

1. Hong Kong, China - 5 days (3 - pre-cruise)
  2. Da Nang, Vietnam - 1 day
  3. Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) Vietnam - 2 days
  4. Bangkok (Laem Chabang), Thailand - 2 days
  5. Singapore - 1 day
  6. Phuket, Thailand - 1 day
  7. Goa (Mormugao), India - 1 day
  8. Bombay (Mumbai), India - 2 days
  9. Salalah, Oman - 1 day
  10. Luxor (Safaga), Egypt - 2 days
  11. Aqaba, Jordan - 1 Day
  12. Cairo (Port Said), Egypt - 1 day
  13. Athens - Transit:Fly to Paris (4 days post cruise)

Thank you

We just came back from a month long trip to Asia and I don't know how much help it will be but this is our take on a few of your stops.

How much of the local languages do you speak? Hong Kong and Bangkok will be the easiest for you to navigate with a minimum amount of local language. Make sure that you take along the name of your dock, ship, etc written in the local tongue. We had friends with us who couldn't speak the dialect in Hong Kong, but could read it. Bangkok has a fairly high number of English speakers and Hong Kong had quite a few signs in English, so you could at least figure out from the street names where you were. We had local guides for each of our stops, just because there were too many for us to handle (nine countries in all). It worked out well and they were often able to get us into places a little easier. CITS in China was especially helpful, particularly in some of the out-lying areas

Saigon was pretty intense, what with the 70 million bicycles and motorcycles that seem to inhabit every square inch of the city. This was probably the spot where the street vendors and beggers were the worst, so just know that going into the city's high points. FYI - you can't get close to the US Embassy and there are guards on duty whom are very committed to the No Photos policy. Da Nang, likewise, didn't hate Americans, but they watched you quite closely at times.

Out of all the spots, we enjoyed Bangkok the most. It was fairly easy to get around, what with the sky train and/or taxies. Phuket was a lo-o-ong ride on a bus. Nong Nooch was a very pretty garden - I wished we'd stayed there longer, but we ended up at the elephant show. It was okay, if a bit hot. Take a fan with you.

Singapore was very easy to navigate around and nearly everyone we spoke with had a pretty good command of the English language. Raffles seems to be just about everywhere, but try to catch the China Town Museum. It was pretty sobering to see how these people lived just 30 years ago. Lots of cabs around.

Can't help with the other spots yet, but it sounds like quite the adventure.

Travel safe,

Charlie

No, neither my wife nor I speak any oriental languages. I speak a little Italian and French, which helped a lot in Europe but on this cruise - I guess we're English only.

We are looking for referrals to trustworthy, experienced local guides who are fluent in English for most ports.

Our plan is try try to communicate by e-mail prior to the trip and determine if a mix or taxi's and public transit wil work for that port or whether a private driver and car is the right choice. Then to develop an advance itinerary for each port that captures the cultural and architectural highlights, includes a lunch at a quality (good, safe, clean) local restaurant for local cuisine, and leaves some time for interraction with some locals and shopping.

As a last resort we will use the cruiselines tours.

We went to the floating marketoutside of Bangkok when staying there in a hotel for 9 days. It was called Damnoen Saduak. There are others but this we were told is the best.

It is difficult to get to on public transport, and you could probably hire a car and driver through your hotel, (as we were 4 persons we did this for two of our out of town trips) but we opted instead for a day trip which we booked through our hotel.

We had a fantastic day out. After being picked up by the coach at our hotel and leaving Bangkok, we passed salt flats then stopped at a coconut plantation where we watched people working with these. They are incredibly quick at removing husks etc. It was more interesting than we had thought it would be. We were then taken to one of the long tail boats and went racing along through a floating town and on the canals until we arrived at the floating market which we explored/watched on foot. We continued on by coach to the Rose Garden for lunch followed by the folkloric show. This had many short acts covering dance, music, kick boxing etc. The gardens are very lovely to stroll through and there were crafts being made and for sale. Elephant rides were also on offer. Somewhere along the way during that day we also stopped at a woodworking craft centre and a temple. Returned to Bangkok. The cost was very reasonable for a full day.

I hope you go.

The floating market is fantastic to see. Its very colourful and interesting. We could have sat quite happily for hours watching it. We took a zillion photos.

You should be able to google an internet search. you might even turn up some day tour info.

Heres one link:

http://www.asiatravel.com/floating.html

and another:

http://www.abiyoyo.com/tailandia/damnoen_saduak/damnoen_saduak.htm

• 1 month later...

We were offered a tour of the floating garden, but it was the day after we had flown in and we were determined to take it easy and just do what we wanted, as opposed to having to get up early(they wanted us underway by 8 .m.) and just get the feel for Bangkok. People who were on latter tours with us did the market and (a) really enjoyed it, (b) it was okay or ©they hated it entirely. Guess it all depends upon your frame of mind and what you are looking for in the experience.

Charlie

Let me help you with Vietnam.

Da Nang-probably the best use of your time is to go to either Hue or Hoi An. Little over an hour drive to Hue, 30 minutes to Hoi An. Lots of history (both ancient and the war). Khe Sanh fire base is close, Chu Lai (BIG American installation during the war) is right outside Da Nang. The Furama hotel sits on China Beach. The DMZ and Hai Van Pass are just north of Da Nang (site of some of the most ferocious Vietnam War battles) . If you are not interested in US war stuff, there is plenty of Vietnamese history and culture. Hue is a UNESCO world heritage site. Here's some interesting information. Don't book with this company-they are a backpacker travel company, but they have good info.

http://www.tnktravelvietnam.com/html/vietnam-central-tours.php

Saigon-where the ship docks has a lot to do with what you will be able to do. Do you know where the ship docks? Phu My is MUCH closer to Saigon than Vung Tau. Let me know what you are interested in. IF the Vietnam War stuf is interesting to you, I will point you in that direction. If the cultural stuff is interesting, I will try to point you in that direction.

The best travel company in Vietnam-which has an AMERICAN co owner and has an office in San Francisco is IndoChinaTravel. http://www.indochinatravel.com/home.html

Give them a call-they should be able to tailor something SPECIFICALLY to your wants and needs. But have some specifics in mind before you call. The only thing they do is custom tailored trips and excursions. Tell Patrick I said hi.

Gina

• 2 weeks later...

Since you have experience ashore on your own, you'll be fine in places like Hong Kong, Singapore and Bangkok where public transport is very good and there's always some English around you. You won't get stuck.

Hong Kong - with any luck you will be berthed next to the Star Ferry. We took the ferry across the harbour (seniors are free so I swallowed my pride and went through the senior's gate. Nobody stopped me for ID - damn!). We walked to the funicular terminal, took the ride to the top of the mountain and had a coffee and free internet. From there, we took a taxi to Aberdeen, wandered around and took a ride on a boat around the harbour. From there we took a taxi back to the ferry and walked along the waterfront on the Kowloon side to the Intercontinental where we treated ourselves to a cold and expensive beer. It was worth it. August was sweltering and the bar had a wonderful view over the harbour.

Saigon was a waste of time. No doubt others will disagree.

In Singapore we were berthed at the cable car terminal so we took the ride on a complete round trip which went right over the ship. Spectacular views. Then the MRT into town, took a DUKW tour on a Vietnam era Duck ( not as much fun as I though it would be) and had a Singapore Sling in the Long Bar at Raffles. Indian lunch, very tasty.

In Bangkok, the port is quite a bit out of town, over an hour's drive. We stayed there for five days after our cruise. Floating market, elephant/crocodile show, teak carving, long-tailed boats, Sky Train, shopping, his and hers massage (ah! bliss!), Grand Palace etc etc. Loved Bangkok.

Sounds like a great trip you have planned. Y'all have a good time.

You will most likely berthed at the Ocean Terminal in Hong Kong, which is just next to the Star Ferry. Walk pass the Ferry entrance just a few more steps you will see the HK Tourist Office on your right. They have all kinds of info. for tourist. Get a map, some coupons, etc. If time allows, sign up for a free ride on the Duck-Ling junk boat for a 1-hour harbour cruise.

Purchase an Octopus card from the subway station, it's good for subway rides, buses, ferries, and some stores and vending machines. You can get a refund for whatever you have left over on your card before you leave HK.

You can do a lot just at Ocean Terminal.

Have fun!:)

• 8 months later...

I haven't cruised to India, but we spent two weeks there last summer. In my opinion, it would be quite difficult to visit the Taj Mahal from Bombay, and you would definitely need more than one day in India. There is no public airport in Agra, and unless you have a lot of celebrity, political, or monetary status, it would be very difficult to get a landing permission. This means flying to New Delhi and then hiring a car to drive you to Agra (a few hours each way). This means getting from the port to the Bombay airport (and Bombay traffic will not make this a quick trip), flying to Delhi, driving to Agra, driving back, flying back to Bombay, and then getting back to the port! Definitely not an easy trip to make in one day, and any delay will probably mean missing the ship. If you have more than one day in India, it might be possible. Even if the ship has moved further along the coast, you might be able to fly back to the other city to meet it, since roundtrip flights in India don't save that much over one-way flights. However, if your second port would be Goa, give yourself plenty of time. The roads are small and slow, and depending where in Goa you're headed, a trip to/from the airport can easily take a few hours.

• 3 weeks later...

We're booked on the Amsterdam RTW next year, and we're planning to debark at Chennai (Madras), fly to Delhi, drive to Agra, and then rejoin the ship at Mumbai. We've contacted the India Tourist Office in New York for help with finding a local travel agency (the ship's overland tours are horrendously expensive). Does anyone have an Indian agency to recommend? We found our Egyptian overland company on CC, too.

Sorry to throw in a disagreement, but I beg to differ on the evaulation of Damnoen Saduak Floating Market. I found it to be incredibly touristy and very disappointing. We, too, were told that this was one of the better floating markets, but what a disappointment. We later talked to the locals, who laughed and said hardly anyone from the area shops there because "it's for people like you." I had been to Thailand many times, so I for a while thought my impression was due to my being jaded, but my friend who was there with me and had visited Thailand for the first time also told me she was disappointed by Damnoen Saduak ("the only place I didn't care for in Thailand," she said).

I know people have different opinions, so I will not say that I am right or anything like that about this floating market. But I could not help putting in my two baht's worth....

I am from Mumbai and though I love it dearly if you are two days in India you should take the Oceania tour to the Taj. If however you will be visiting India again then spend the time in Mumbai. Let me know your interests and I shall suggest something. Otherwise see Saga Ruby's comments on her trip there.

Miriam

• 4 weeks later...

In Mumbai, I recommend a short taxi ride ($1 or $2) if you walk to the entrance of the port and go to THE TAJ hotel in front of the Gateway to India monument. Then walk in the hotel and book a 3 hour tour with their concierge. Last March, it was $60 for 2 couples but the modern clean A/C van could have taken a third couple easily. The chauffeur is dressed in white jacket and a cap. You will feel like a million. Our chauffeur had worked for the Taj for 15 years, he was very professional and his English was perfect.

Archived