New Security Rules: Rx Problems

arabrab

Warning to fellow passengers:

I flew back from LAX to Denver last night(Sunday), and TSA made me discard my tiny bottle of prescription medicine because it didn't have a prescription label with my name on it. The bottle is labeled Rx, but it is physically too small to fit a prescription label, so pharmacies don't put one on the actual bottle. What's even more ridiculous is that TSA is allowing people to bring onboard up to 4 ounces of liquid OTC drug products, while at the same time forcing me to discard an expensive prescription drug in its original bottle which, if full, held just over one-half ounce. Somehow it isn't risky for someone to bring on-board a 3 oz. bottle of OTC cough medicine, but my tiny bottle of expensive prescription medicine is a threat to national security.

I even appealed to a supervisor, but to no avail.

Good luck to any cancer patients out there who might need morphine drops, or glaucoma patients who might need their eye drops in flight, asthmatics who use prescription inhalers, or people with nut allergies who might like to have their epi-pen handy on the flight. None of these drugs typically are large enough to have labels on the containers, but by God we'll be protected against the security threat they impose.

TSA: We can't find weapons brought through in tests, but we sure can make travel painful.

edit.gif

My husband is a pilot and he told me that the bottle must be in its original box with the prescription info on it. My father is a diabetic and when he travels with his insulin bottles (which has no info on the actual bottle) he has to bring the original box. It sux, but that's what has to done.

tiny bottle of prescription medicine because it didn't have a prescription label with my name on it. The bottle is labeled Rx, but it is physically too small to fit a prescription label, so pharmacies don't put one on the actual bottle.

Your pharmacy did you a disfavor. It is mandated by law to affix a label with the patients name, RX number, date, Doctor's name, instructions for use, product name, product quantity, and identification as to who filled it. I have put quite small items in larger vials to meet this requirement.

As an addtional insight, if you have a sample from your doctor (which would not be labeled), best to put it in your checked baggage.

Oh, and 15gms (1/2 ounce) of PETN can cause quite an explosion. I'm having a hard time faulting the TSA considering the events of last week.

Your pharmacy did you a disfavor. It is mandated by law to affix a label with the patients name, RX number, date, Doctor's name, instructions for use, product name, product quantity, and identification as to who filled it. I have put quite small items in larger vials to meet this requirement.

Oh, and 15gms (1/2 ounce) of PETN can cause quite an explosion. I'm having a hard time faulting the TSA considering the events of last week.

I've filled my prescription at two different mail-order pharmacies, and at several local pharmacies, and NONE of them has ever attempted to put the label on the bottle. But even if it didn't have a personalized label, where's the logic in allowing up to four ounces of any OTC liquid while turning away prescription medication? It isn't like explosives are magically easier to hide in prescription bottles than in a Robitussin bottle?

My husband is a pilot and he told me that the bottle must be in its original box with the prescription info on it. My father is a diabetic and when he travels with his insulin bottles (which has no info on the actual bottle) he has to bring the original box. It sux, but that's what has to done.

Insulin isn't a prescription drug (had a cat that was diabetic and got insulin over the counter). The prescription part for insulin is for insurance coverage. In the current regulations Insulin is one of those items that is specifically listed in the 4oz item (as well as non prescription). Your father shouldn't have any trouble.

Of course with these new issues (I still remember being told by a TSA person that the removal of shoes was a federal mandate, which in 2004 was not the case) no one knows what is going on, and you can't depend on some person reading the latest memo in the procedure manual.

Insulin isn't a prescription drug (had a cat that was diabetic and got insulin over the counter). The prescription part for insulin is for insurance coverage. In the current regulations Insulin is one of those items that is specifically listed in the 4oz item (as well as non prescription). Your father shouldn't have any trouble.

Of course with these new issues (I still remember being told by a TSA person that the removal of shoes was a federal mandate, which in 2004 was not the case) no one knows what is going on, and you can't depend on some person reading the latest memo in the procedure manual.

I'm not arguing with you, but the only way for my dad to obtain this certain type of insulin is prescription. There are many different grades. He cannot get it otherwise. The only reason I know this is he ran out once and the pharmacy would not fill (ne more refills) so the doctor had to call in. He won't have a problem on the plane, he just brings the original box the vial comes in. They let him through with no problem, that's how he brings his needles as well, he shows the prescription and security has always let it through.

I am just stating to bring original boxes with prescription info if its not on its container. My pharmacy never put the actual prescription on a flonase bottle, just on the original box. It might be a pain to bring the original box, but that's what we have to do for now.

It has alway been a rule by the airlines that you should not carry pills unless they are in the original prescription bottle, clearly marked as mandated by law. Your mail order house, then, did you a disservice. Is it in the U.S.? or do you order outside the country.

Gotta tell ya; I was married to a pharmacist for 13 years. We owned a coupla pharmacies and I worked in both of them. I never, ever saw any sort of prescription going out without label. It is against the law. If the medication was in a very small container, it was put into a larger one so the label could be attached.

I can't fault TSA on this one. And over- the- counter medication is not a good comparison in this case. TSA has no way of knowing what your tiny little pills were. They certainly are under no obligation to trust you or anyone else.

Just chalk it up to a lesson well-learned. Insist your pharmacy attach a label to any further medication you may order from them.

I can't fault TSA on this one. And over- the- counter medication is not a good comparison in this case. TSA has no way of knowing what your tiny little pills were. They certainly are under no obligation to trust you or anyone else.

I don't think TSA cares about pills - it's liquids and gels that are the problem, isn't it?

SEAMAMA is correct. NEW YORK STATE LAW STATES

"Such drug shall be compounded or dispensed by a licensed pharmacist, and no such drug shall be dispensed without affixing to the immediate container in which the drug is sold or dispensed a label bearing the name and address of the owner of the establishment in which it was dispensed, the date compounded, the number of the prescription under which it is recorded in the pharmacist's prescription files, the name of the prescriber, the name and address of the patient, and the directions for the use of the drug by the patient as given upon the prescription. The prescribing and dispensing of a drug which is a controlled substance shall be subject to additional requirements provided in article thirty-three of the public health law."

Immediate container= box, vial, tube, bottle or other container that the drug or drug delivery system is packaged in.

Sometimes the pharmacist must use a little ingenuity but it can and should be done.

Just in case we do have to fly in the future (no plans currently), I'm glad I kept the boxes for both sets of my girl's inhaler/medication. In fact I carry her non-school set in my purse inside the original boxes. I also keep my box for my Flonase as that has the prescription number I need to get a refill from Walmart.

What I'm wondering is if you put a small amount of your drugs in a bigger container, how does the TSA know it's the right drugs. They are not experts unless they're also a doctor or pharmarist.

Actually, I never thought of this. I carry my day's worth in my purse in the pill container that has the little compartments and carried the bottles in my carry on bag since that is always harder to get to while on the plane. None of mine are liquid though so maybe that is why it didn't seem to concern me about the liquid ban.

I buy my epi pens in a box of two. The label is on the box. One pen is always with me in my purse, the other in my car. Since neither of my freshly refilled pens is individually labled I wonder if I will have to refill the scrip again uselessly in October when I fly?

I'm sorry, "uselessly"??? First of all, this is clearly something you need and second of all, as long as you have the opi pen in the box with the RX on it, you should be fine. If the gov't mandates certain rules, then you have only one choice and that's to follow the rules.

I know these rules all seem like an inconvenience, but sheesh, the inconvenience to your family when you're blown-up in mid-air seem a bit harsher, don't you all think?

I buy my epi pens in a box of two. The label is on the box. One pen is always with me in my purse, the other in my car. Since neither of my freshly refilled pens is individually labled I wonder if I will have to refill the scrip again uselessly in October when I fly?

I would try contacting the pharmacy you use to see if they could generate a new label to attach to the epi pen.

What is the problem people.....sick people are planning to use everyday items to hide something that may be harmful to many innocent people....and complaits about the inconvience abound.1) if they let OTC on in a carry on then that security person(S) is not following their new protocol and should be reported....not complain about perscription ....simple some are not doing their job PROPERLY....2) T.F.GREEN in R.I. airport since the shoe bomber has made everyone take their shoes off If all airports get online apply the new rules and old ones uniformly through out the USA people would complain less...Boy do I need my cruise:o

I would try contacting the pharmacy you use to see if they could generate a new label to attach to the epi pen.

When my mother and I went on a cruise I went to the pharmacy and had them put rx lables on her insulin dispensers because we werent' going to take all 5 of the dispensers and they come in 1 box with the rx label on it. The pharmacist printed 2 additional labels and we put them on the dispensers. You could do that for all of your scripts that come in boxes that have the label on it (if you don't keep it in the box)

I buy epi's for DD in boxes of two, also. When we get ready to fly, I call the pharmacy and ask them to print up a few labels. I don't bring the box onboard, but the labels fit nicely around the epi container.

but my tiny bottle of expensive prescription medicine is a threat to national security.

None of these drugs typically are large enough to have labels on the containers, but by God we'll be protected against the security threat they impose.

TSA: We can't find weapons brought through in tests, but we sure can make travel painful.

I'm with you 100%! I travel with a LOT of medications....Many of them, I have to take throughout the day, so they would have to be with me in my carry-on.

What about the rest of them that I am forced to put in my checked bags? Can the airline assure me that they won't lose my suitcase and that my medication will be at my destination? NO, they can't.

So, then what happens when they lose my luggage? I am stuck without my meds for a week? Yeah, that'll be great. :mad: :mad:

What the TSA and other airport security needs to do is use the brains they were born with and apply some common sense. I know it's hard to do in most government work, but they could try!

While I understand that racial profiling isn't "politically correct" as far as I am aware no little old ladies have decided to join the jihad and take down any airliners.

Cheers,

Peter

What the TSA and other airport security needs to do is use the brains they were born with and apply some common sense. I know it's hard to do in most government work, but they could try!

While I understand that racial profiling isn't "politically correct" as far as I am aware no little old ladies have decided to join the jihad and take down any airliners.

Cheers,

Peter

AMEN!!!!!!!!! I'm with you 100%!!!!!! :)

Cheers,

Peter

Ya think.........

It all seems so simple to most folks....why the "powers that be" can't seem to figure it out is truly amazing:eek:

Love your countdown clock!!

Cheers,

Peter

Wasn't two of the alleged bombers pregnant women? One never knows who they can brainwash to do their dirty deeds..

Archived