Does NCL push stores like Princess does?

Ski Racer

It may depend on the itinerary. Our spring 2003 HAL cruise to Canada/New England had great emphasis on shopping and little info on ports. Our September 2005 NCL cruise to Bermuda was very much the opposite, with lots of info on how to get around Bermuda, things to do, sightseeing tips, etc.

We are going on our first cruise with NCL to the Mexican Rivera in Oct. We went there in April on Princess and at every port all they did was push Diamond International stores. Is this the same on NCL?

Good Lord yes they do...Diamonds International....Del Sol.....Tanzanite International and all the rest...it seems all of the major ports have a store of one of those large chains.

They pay the cruise line for advertising and that is what you get..advertised to :D .

NCL is begining to change the "Port & Cruise Position" on their ships to "Port & Shopping Consultant." No more trying to sell cruises (that is handled now by the "Lattitudes Manager."), just push the stores.

I was very disappointed with the Dawn in this regard. They would replay the shore talks on the TV afterward and I caught a few of them. They should have just gave it once and replayed it! (Don't miss Diamonds International and Del Sol, la, la, la).

I think many people would like to hear about places to get "normal" souveniers and items unique to the port, not Diamonds International which is now in every port.

Of course the Dawn does it one better, you arrive in Nassau late in the evening, they tell you the shops will be open late for your shopping, but when you go into town, the only places open are those the ship has in their brochure like Diamonds International and Del Sol. Not a single place to buy normal souveniers. On top of that there are like 8 stores open and 2000 people are trying to crowd into them for cheap freebies. It was a nightmare, one of the few terrible parts of our cruise.

I have came up with a new theory.....if the Port and Shopping Consultant reccommends it or mentions it in his talk, I plan to avoid it. It will probably some overpriced store trying to hook you.

Why do so many people think that one of the most important parts of cruising is to buy stuff? And to make it worse, everyone seems to think ships sail to places with great bargains, especially jewelry. All over the Carribean. Even on our Alaska cruises. Same stuff.

Stay home and go to the mall.

Of course the Dawn does it one better, you arrive in Nassau late in the evening, they tell you the shops will be open late for your shopping, but when you go into town, the only places open are those the ship has in their brochure like Diamonds International and Del Sol. Not a single place to buy normal souveniers. On top of that there are like 8 stores open and 2000 people are trying to crowd into them for cheap freebies. It was a nightmare, one of the few terrible parts of our cruise.

They made it very clear on my Dawn cruise (7/15/06) that only a few stores would remain open, which is why I didn't bother getting off the ship until the next morning.

We are going on our first cruise with NCL to the Mexican Rivera in Oct. We went there in April on Princess and at every port all they did was push Diamond International stores. Is this the same on NCL?

Cruise Lines have "marketing plans" which they sell to the port stores. Unfortunetly only the large mass market stores can afford the heavy prices and the small locally owned stores are now trying to compete with the big guys for business off of the Cruise line. They also have tiered "levels" based on the amount the company shells out for advertising. So even if the small guys can pay the money to do it, they ended up getting shafted because theirs ads don't noticed or mentioned anyway.

Do research on the ports on your own and go support the locally owned businesses they're the ones that need our support anyway.

And at every port talk I've ever been to on four of the major mass market cruise lines the port consultant will tell you the shops listed on their maps, info, etc. ``are guaranteed.'' That's a loaded answer as a there have been many horror stories from pax on different cruise lines who have been through the ``big sting'' with ship advertised shops.

Port shopping consultants get paid well by the shops advertising on the ship to give you a talk to get you into their stores.

As has been said before, smaller stores with perhaps better quality merchandise at cheaper prices, can't afford to pay the cruiselines' advertising fees and keep their prices lower.

Diamonds Internation, Del Sol, Tanzanite International and other big advertisers on the ships may look like a bargain, but if you look around in a port and know what you're looking for, you can most often find a better deal.

Dianne

Thanks for all the info, I thought that's how it might be. On our Princess cruise last April that is what I complained about on our coments card. Maybe if we all keep complaining and boycotting DI and Del Sol the cruise lines might get the hint. But I think I am dreaming.

Thanks for all the info, I thought that's how it might be. On our Princess cruise last April that is what I complained about on our coments card. Maybe if we all keep complaining and boycotting DI and Del Sol the cruise lines might get the hint. But I think I am dreaming.

Bap bap bap!! wake UP!! Wake up!!! (as I say looking over at my free Del sol canvas bag that turns colorful in the sun)..On our first cruise we bit.(as I stare at the DI charm bracelet where I can get a free charm at every port)..and as we walked by Del Sol on the 2nd cruise (as I stare at the clear plastic rings that change colors in the sun), we popped in.

I think they HIP-NO-TIZED us! I must have been chewing cruncy cereal when they were talking about TI--I haven't sleep walked into there......YET :D

AS was said previoulsy, those are chain stores and although they may pat salaries to a few employeess to help the local economy, I prefer the smaller stores run by locals for my souvenirs. I may be misguided buut I do think my dollars go further to help the locals, at local shops

Bap bap bap!! wake UP!! Wake up!!! (as I say looking over at my free Del sol canvas bag that turns colorful in the sun)..On our first cruise we bit.(as I stare at the DI charm bracelet where I can get a free charm at every port)..and as we walked by Del Sol on the 2nd cruise (as I stare at the clear plastic rings that change colors in the sun), we popped in.

I think they HIP-NO-TIZED us! I must have been chewing cruncy cereal when they were talking about TI--I haven't sleep walked into there......YET :D

AS was said previoulsy, those are chain stores and although they may pat salaries to a few employeess to help the local economy, I prefer the smaller stores run by locals for my souvenirs. I may be misguided buut I do think my dollars go further to help the locals, at local shops

Be glad you got a 'free' Del Sol tote.. Now you have to spend 10.00 to get the tote..

In Honduras, I went to the ships suggested store and bought a t-shirt for 12.00.. On the way back to the ship, I passed a side walk vendor with the same t-shirt for 7.00.. That was my awakening moment:) ..

Why do so many people think that one of the most important parts of cruising is to buy stuff? And to make it worse, everyone seems to think ships sail to places with great bargains, especially jewelry. All over the Carribean. Even on our Alaska cruises. Same stuff.

Stay home and go to the mall.

I agree; we never go to any of the port talks, or rarely. years ago they were fun, informative and sometimes they even gave away really neat stuff. As for shopping all we do is buy booze in the duty free ports, an unusual gift and a few things like that. We don't do the jewelry stuff, hate the stupid push, push, push from the ships to buy here or there. Maybe the shopping is something that attracted us more when we first started cruising. Don't get me wrong, we do some shopping, but only for certain things, jewelry normally isn't one of them. The Del Sol shops have become boring as well and way overpriced. nmnita

An interesting thread... thought I'd pop in to comment!

I've done several cruises to Alaska over the past 15 years, but it wasn't until the trip last year that the push of these "chain" stores was very overwhelming. The big hit for me came in Skagway, where I tried to find this cute Mountie store we always visited on previous trips, only to discover that it had been distroyed and a brand new Diamonds International (or was it Tanz Int?) had been built in its place. I'm sure it's good for the local economy, and there are benefits for the cruise lines obviously, but... must there be stores EVERYWHERE?

To me, it seems the local charm of the Alaskan ports (and I'm sure I will see this too on my first Caribbean cruise this Fall) is being taken over by these huge stores that push their wares even on the ships. I will certainly never buy anything from them. Having worked at an independant fine jewelry store, I can also tell you that their stones are too high of a price for the quality they give you. They are just trying to take advantage of people on vacation who think they will be buying something at a discount because they are in a foreign port. Just find a jeweler in you local area who has been in business a long time -- they will have a vast number of suppliers where they can get quality diamonds or tanzinite stones from and offer them at a great price. And you can even haggle a bit!

Okay, rant for the day, over! I will definitely make sure to put this on the comment card on my next cruise.

98Charlie nearly got it right.

The shops don't pay the cruise line or the Shopping Consultant. But they do pay Bill Panoff, who owns PortHole Magazine.

Bill has a company that convinces cruise lines to employ (and pay) his Port and Shopping Consultants. Then he convinces shops in ports to pay him to have his onboard "Consultants" promote those shops. The Cruise lines also pay his company for this service.

So everybody pays Bill.

The cruise lines pay his staff for their services.

Hopefully you get a better deal or better follow-up from the shops.

NCL recently contracted with Bill's company to do the same promotions as the other mass-market lines.

Archived