Bermuda & Colonial America

LaPaloma

This cruise, or one similar to it, have been run for the past few years--we have been interested, but concerned about hurricane season. Next year it goes from Boston to Nassau, with an added stop in Bermuda. It looks great, but we have no interest in battling a big storm. Its pretty late for a storm, so it maybe ok. Has anyone taken this cruise? If so how was the weather?

• 1 month later...

I see you received no replies to your (very good) question. I'm looking at one too, on the Pride, 12 days, October of next year. I like that it takes in some islands as well as the eastern seaboard. Back and forth from the USA to Bermuda to the USA to the Bahamas sounds like fun to me (unless of course we hit a hurricane).

What did you find out, if anything, about the weather from any other sources? Are you looking at that one, too?

Jane ;)

I see you received no replies to your (very good) question. I'm looking at one too, on the Pride, 12 days, October of next year. I like that it takes in some islands as well as the eastern seaboard. Back and forth from the USA to Bermuda to the USA to the Bahamas sounds like fun to me (unless of course we hit a hurricane).

What did you find out, if anything, about the weather from any other sources? Are you looking at that one, too?

Jane ;)

Hi Jane...yes, I have been surprised that no info has been forthcoming. My husband is really taken by this trip...but..I am not up to be tossed about..though..I like a rough sea..hurricanes are another story. It would be nice to get some possitive feedback..and perhaps we could sail together again. Lola

I am based in New Jersey and regularly get asked about a cruise from NYC to Bermuda. I always explain that the seas are unpredictable, hurricane or not, so running south is better than due west.

One thing to consider as a positive is that the Boston to Bermuda tends to be a bit more consistently quieter as the ship is not crossing the Gulf Stream in the same place or the same angle. Also, from Bermuda to Nassau can be a very pleasant ride if there is no storm brewing.

If you are north wanting to go south, it sounds like a nice cruise.

(BTW, I was on a cruise when you first posted this, so it got lost down the list. Otherwise I would have answered earlier.)

Still looking at this nice 12 day cruise for 2007. I noticed on Seabourn's webpage that the 2006 sailing, this same itinerary, has been discounted. I was wondering, with my upcoming trip to the southern Caribbean in December, if I put in a $1000 deposit, how does anyone feel about waiting until this 2007 Bermuda and Colonial America trip goes on sale? That is, do you think it would be wise to wait until it's discounted? What happens if you sign up and then the price goes down?

Jane

Who hopes that made sense

Thanks for the info Paul

Jane..I really think the chances are good for waiting for a deal on that one. The only thing..it would seem like a good candidate for a charter..as there is less travel involved and that would appeal to a company. Even so, I don't see how you could loose.

A good TA should be able to get you the reduced price if the price goes down. But please consider that dependent on the type of suite you want, you may wind up paying more because that category has been sold out. You also my lose out on purchasing a Guaranty which might well afford you an upgrade if the sailing is eventually discounted. As it doesn't cost anything to put down a deposit, why not??

Still looking at this nice 12 day cruise for 2007. I noticed on Seabourn's webpage that the 2006 sailing, this same itinerary, has been discounted. I was wondering, with my upcoming trip to the southern Caribbean in December, if I put in a $1000 deposit, how does anyone feel about waiting until this 2007 Bermuda and Colonial America trip goes on sale? That is, do you think it would be wise to wait until it's discounted? What happens if you sign up and then the price goes down?

Jane

Who hopes that made sense

We decided to pass on the Bermuda and Colonial trip--Lola is just not convinced--we have the Mexican Riviera cruise booked for January 07, so we jumped to 08, and booked the combo Caribbean Sampler & Caribbean Charms--it's an extension of the trip we were on together last time, and a good price--11 days. We lived in the Caribbean for many years and have visited just about all the Islands, so a redo is no problem for us. Right now we look for one thing--EASY--its Fort Lauderdale to St Thomas! I would bet the Bermuda and Colonial will be discounted in 07--it's almost like a repositioning trip! Good Luck Don

• 1 month later...

Due to the weather, which was unbelievably horrid, the Pride did not dock at Gloucester. It was determined late in the day on Friday that it would be best to go to Boston, which is what it did. They arrived at the Black Falcon terminal yesterday AM and left around 5:00PM. From what I heard the crew were happy as many of them got to go to Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall.

Bon voyage

I noticed next year the NE/Canada itineraries are scheduled about two weeks earlier. Not a lot, but it would certainly let you catch the fall foliage in Quebec and possibly miss Massachusetts' first storm of the season. I was in Quebec City this year over Canadian Thanksgiving Day (10/09) and it was beautiful.

• 4 weeks later...

We took this cruise two years ago, when it left from New York, went to Newport, then Philly, Baltimore, DC, Norfolk, Florida and then across to Nassau. We had pretty good weather the entire trip and LOVED it. If the pricing was better we would do it again.

They are looking at changing this back to 'long coast cruise next year, more like what GaryCarla did before. Bermuda is nice, but it takes a long time out and back. By dropping that, they can add several more very interesting ports--and nice ones too. It will also be a food and wine festival again. Details coming soon.

bgood

Archived