Buenos Aires shore excursion

GAJE

DH and I will be on the Rotterdam for the Jan. 11. 2007 to South America and Antactica. We are now reviewing options for shore excursions. We originally thought about the "Best of Argentina" in Buenos Aires which involves visiting Estancia La Fortuna for a tour and barbecue. It is a 10 hour tour during the 14 hours we will be in Buenos Aires. Has anyone done this and can give us a review? Are there any other recommendations someone could make about tours to take there? Any help would be appreciated, as always.

Thanks, Betty

DH and I will be on the Rotterdam for the Jan. 11. 2007 to South America and Antactica. We are now reviewing options for shore excursions. We originally thought about the "Best of Argentina" in Buenos Aires which involves visiting Estancia La Fortuna for a tour and barbecue. It is a 10 hour tour during the 14 hours we will be in Buenos Aires. Has anyone done this and can give us a review? Are there any other recommendations someone could make about tours to take there? Any help would be appreciated, as always.

Thanks, Betty

We booked with a private tour operator in BA, and we had a wonderful time the two days we were there in November.

jc

There is so much worthwhile to do in Buenos Aires that it could be a 4-day port stop.

First thing I would ask is what's going on the days before and after. Unless it's sea days bookending the stop, I would say that a 10-hour tour is too exhausting. Especially in that heat/humidity.

Next, what do you like to do? I had two days there and did the Ricoletta Cemetary Tour one day and the river cruise the second. Both were good; both were 1/2 day tours. They may or may not be your taste.

There were good reports from those who went to the Tango Show and those who went for the Argentinian bar-b-que.

I spoke with one woman about her tour to Iguazzu Falls---she couldn't say enough good things about it. She considered it a highlight.

Hope this helps more than hinders.

Ruth:

You always have such good suggestions. We are going to Iguazu Falls when we disembark in Rio. The thought about the heat and humidity on a 10 hr. tour, much of which must be outdoors at the barbecue, is something we had not thought of!!!

Thanks, Betty

GAJE: we took the Estancia excursion when we visited Buenos Aires--it IS a long day, with at least 4 to 5 hours on the bus. We enjoyed the day-relaxing and a change of pace from the other regular excursions.

We are particularly sensitive to humidity, living out here in the desert, and I have to say, the weather was fine-probably in mid-70s and no noticeable humidity--the estancia is well inland. The gauchos put on displays of their horsemanship and contests they do; there was horseback and carriage rides and a good bbq lunch under a covered pavillion with a dance performance and music.

If you are Type-A people or need constant stimulation, then this is not the excursion for you. But if you don't mind a long bus ride to and fro and a quiet day in the country, then this may be just the ticket! We were happy with our choice.

Betty, when I was in BA last January I did the 4 hour city tour by bus (sorry can't remember the name of the shore excursion) that was very good. We saw lots, stopped for 30 minutes in Ricoletta Cemetery and 20 minutes at Plaza de Mayo and 30 minutes in La Boca. Our guide was excellent and we really saw a lot of the city. The tour dropped us off downtown (optional) and I was able to grab some lunch and do some shopping and just wander around for 2 hours and enjoy the city. I was able to get a free shuttle bus (H. Stern) back to the ship and had enough time to get cleaned up and dressed for the "Tango Show without Dinner" excursion. The show was wonderful.

I know of people who did the excursion that you mentioned and they loved it. However, it was a very, very long day... much of it spent on the bus. And they missed most of BA... just what they could see as they drove out of town. The people on that excursion got back a bit later, but dinner that night was a big BBQ up on the pool deck, so everyone got to eat and enjoy themselves.

I think it all depends on what you want to see in Argentina. Are you interested in the city and history, etc. or does a day out in the countryside suit you more.

I wish we had 2 days in BA...one to do what I did, and the second to do the excursion you are contemplating.

Bill S.: You DID mean 4-5 hours total on the bus, right? Was the countryside interesting? How was the barbecue? (I want to think of the Hawaiian lauau which to me seemed like just an outdoor buffet of not very good food.) A relaxing day seeing the countryside may seem more appealing than another huge city!

Betty

When we were in B.A. in January, four of us went with a private guide whom I can give you the name if you are interested in. He is highly recommended on the South America Ports Board.

Anyhow, we did a tour of the city including seeing Evita's tomb, then went on a lovely train ride down to where the delta of the river is situated and did a great cruise around the islands. Afterwards we were taken to a Tango show for lunch and to watch the dancing. It was a fabulous day, using 3 forms of transport, seeing all areas of B.A. and it fitted into our time there. We were back at the ship at 4pm ready for a 5pm departure.

Jennie

GAJE: the bus trip is a good 2-3 hours each way, depending on how long the rest stop is each way. The lunch was pretty good-they grill the meat out in the open where you can watch the unique way they cook. The countryside was pretty agricultural-reminded me somewhat of the San Joaquin valley of California in most respects, without the mountains. Hope this helps you a bit!

I am on the Dec 6 cruise. I was thinking of this excursion for BA. Thanks for all the replys. I will be in BA on Sunday and Monday. This is only available on Monday so tour the city on Sunday and The interior on Monday.

It is a few years since we took this trip (Valparaiso to Rio with a pre-trip to Machu Pichu), but we did take the trip to the Argentinian barbecue. First they showed their riding skills on the horses and demonstrated the balls on strings that they use both for entertainment and weapons -- sorry,I don't remember what these are called.

It was a worthwhile excursion.

On our trip, we spent 2 days in BA and one of those days we took a tour of the city and the famous cemetery where Eva Peron is buried.

Although Argentina is famous for its beef, I was not entranced with the taste of the food on the above excursion. It was OK, but didn't have the taste of beef that one would get in a fine steak house. Americans are accustomed to a certain taste in beef and the Argentinian beef didn't have it. I'm not saying it wasn't good, just that it was OK.

In any case, you are in for an amazing trip. It is one of the greatest I've ever taken.

yiddishkopf: We are also doing the precruise tour to Macchu Picchu. I would love to hear your comments on that. DH and I are in our early 60's - a little concerned about the altitude sickness. Also, was there a way to leave your excess luggage in Lima prior to the ascent to Cuzco and MP?

Thanks. Betty

yiddishkopf: We are also doing the precruise tour to Macchu Picchu. I would love to hear your comments on that. DH and I are in our early 60's - a little concerned about the altitude sickness. Also, was there a way to leave your excess luggage in Lima prior to the ascent to Cuzco and MP?

Thanks. Betty

We did a post cruise trip to MP and the altitude is pretty tiring. I was 46 at the time and in pretty good shape. The train ride and the hiking at MP when we got back to Cuzco I was dead tired. If I could have arranged to spend more time in MP it would have made the experience a bit better. If you can stay at the Sanctuary Hotel there at MP, you will have a much less crowded and more total experience. Of course, after a while one ruin looks very much like another ruin. I am sure that if you are staying in Lima you could store your luggage at your hotel. I was not very impressed with Lima. We stayed at the Sheraton downtown that was very reasonable and a nice hotel. It was a good 20 to 30 minute shuttle ride to the airport. The Lima airport is nice enough but outside of it is the pits. Our flights from Cuzco to Lima got moved up a few hours which meant we were stuck with our luggage at the Lima airport for about 9 hours because American Airlines has nobody there until about 9pm and since we arrived just after noon we were going to have to schlep our bags all over Lima, and after seeing it a few days before we decided to just hang out on the uncomfortable chairs at the food court for the day. Can you say boring?:D We stayed at the Liberatador in Cuzco and it was very nice. There is a prescription drug you can buy for the altitude, which we did. I am not sure if it helped or not. Of course, none of us had altitude sickness either.

jc

We went to Machu Picchu after our cruise at the end of January this year.

We flew from Santiago to Cusco via Lima and stayed at the Monasterio Hotel in Cusco which does have oxygen in the rooms if required. The altitude did not affect me at all, though it did slow my DH down a bit especially when walking the streets of Cusco which can be a bit hilly and therefore can make you breathless. By the way we are a very fit couple and altitude sickness can affect anyone whether young or old.

The next day we did the tour to the Sacred Valley which was most enjoyable and then on the third day, we got up very early and caught the train up to Machu Picchu. It is a very pleasant ride and the views are wonderful.

We were very fortunate as we had a sunny day up there. We had a private guide who took only ourselves and another couple around the ruins for over 3 hours. There is quite a bit of walking but as Machu Picchu is lower than Cusco, my DH was fine. We spent the night at the fantastic Sanctuary Lodge which is the only hotel up amongst the ruins and had a breathtaking view from our bedroom window.

Next afternoon after spending more time amongst the ruins we caught the train back in the afternoon to Cusco for one more night before flying out. We left our luggage at our Hotel in Cusco whilst we were up at Machu Picchu. If we had been returning to Lima or Santiago instead of going on to Quito, we would have left our luggage at the hotels there and just taken a small bag with us.

If you are only going for a day or so, it is a big ask as the altitude sickness can be a burden and we saw and met quite a few people who were ill from it and not able to enjoy the experience. We had 5 days and wished we had been able to fit in one more as Cusco is very interesting.

If you are in that part of the world it is a place not to be missed.

Jennie

JC: I understand we will be staying at the Liberatador (?) in Cusco, so it was good to read that it was a nice hotel. HAL books everything for us, as you know, and their choices do seem 4 star at least. I think we will be at the Sheraton in Lima.

Thanks, Betty

Archived