Cabin choices

kevankiki

Have been offered a choice of cabins for a cruise we're considering on the QE2 next year. As there will be four of us (2 adults and 2 teens) we have decided to opt for 2 cabins, so would prefer to be close by each other. Can anyone offer advice on the following:

Deck 3 - 3168 and 3173

Deck 2 - 2030, 2031 and 2033

I've looked at the plans scanned in by pnhmrk and I'm leaning towards 2031 and 2033 which seem to be right by the computer learning centre, and also the midships embarkation point. Anyone know what the white box might be behind cabin 2033?

I didn't contemplate booking anything so soon having only just returned from our last cruise, but then my agent called me and made me an offer I don't think I can turn down. What's more, 2 deck just has to be better than 5 deck, even if it is still an M grade :D

Soon as possible would be appreciated, I intend calling her back at 9am tomorrow to snap this offer up, many thanks all!

The "white box behind cabin 2033" is now Princess Grill cabin 2153 which was added during a later refit.

The only downside of the offered cabins on deck 2 might be the longer walk to the pool area if this is important for your children. But to me it looks like a good choice.

Cabins 2031 and 2033 are right next to each other so would probably be your best bet. 2030 is on the other side of the stairway and lifts. The ones on 3 deck are also separated from each other. According to the deck plans that I have, the square box means that the cabin has a shower only, no tub.

Patti

Thanks carlmm, I don't think the walk will seem that long to my daughter, compared to the trip up from deck 5 this year anyway, so not really an issue. Are we likely to be disturbed by the lifts at all though - "second floor, lift going down". Being stairway A I guess they wouldn't be used as much as, say E, anyway?

Oahucruiser, I was aware that they only have a shower, this is the case for all inside M cabins I think. I suspect that one would have to get way up the grades before the shower became a tub, again this is not an issue for us so I'll be onto my TA 9am sharp! :)

Thanks again both of you for such a quick response!

Can anyone offer advice

I'd go for deck two over deck three - I feel that the service is better when you get around the higher grades of cabin (not by much though).

2 deck just has to be better than 5 deck, even if it is still an M grade :D

It is. Also being near stairway gives you very easy access to the restaurant.

I'd go for deck two over deck three - I feel that the service is better when you get around the higher grades of cabin (not by much though).

Are you saying the service is better on deck 2 even in a M4 grade?

If so then that's nice to know because I went ahead and booked this today (see below) :)

Seems like a long way ahead now

Are you saying the service is better on deck 2 even in a M4 grade?

I think so - or at least it was when Cunard was still a British company. It showed in things like you got silver teapots from room service, when you only got china on deck five; you would often get a steward who was looking after higher grade cabins, but got yours as well because there weren't enough M's for a dedicated steward.

Thinking about this further I recall the service was faster last time when we were on deck three, compared to this time when we were on deck 5. I thought maybe that was just co-incidence, but from what you are saying it might be down to the deck you are on.

Can anyone tell me now if it's standard procedure that you don't get room service on the day you disembark? I called for tea and was told it wasn't allowed, now I was sure we got it last time (on deck 3) but I wondered if I was mistaken, or things have changed, or is it dependent on the deck you're on maybe?

Thinking about this further I recall the service was faster last time when we were on deck three, compared to this time when we were on deck 5. I thought maybe that was just co-incidence, but from what you are saying it might be down to the deck you are on.

It could be coincidence. But it could be that if you're in an MI surrounded by P's and Q's you get P or Q service.

Can anyone tell me now if it's standard procedure that you don't get room service on the day you disembark?

That's right - No cabin service and a very reduced breakfast. We take a travel kettle to give us tea on the last morning and order extra fruit, juice and milk the penultimate morning so that we have something for the last morning.

Can anyone tell me now if it's standard procedure that you don't get room service on the day you disembark? I called for tea and was told it wasn't allowed, now I was sure we got it last time (on deck 3) but I wondered if I was mistaken, or things have changed, or is it dependent on the deck you're on maybe?

The rules say no, even on the Signal Deck. I think the last time you can have tea is about 5.30 am.

Having said that, rules are made to be broken. You won't get proper breakfast though - you do have to go downstairs for that.

Or give up on breakfast!

It could be coincidence. But it could be that if you're in an MI surrounded by P's and Q's you get P or Q service.

That's right - No cabin service and a very reduced breakfast. We take a travel kettle to give us tea on the last morning and order extra fruit, juice and milk the penultimate morning so that we have something for the last morning.

We weren't even an M1, but an M4 on both occasions :D

I didn't think kettles were allowed in cabins? Anyway, I'm going to try and remember to take a thermos flask next year to fill the night before.

The rules say no, even on the Signal Deck. I think the last time you can have tea is about 5.30 am.

I think I tried to order it around 6am!

Needless to say I had to trudge up to the Lido to get some coffee to bring back, no fun when you're down on deck 5, made me feel very much like they just wanted rid of us on the last day :(

We weren't even an M1, but an M4 on both occasions :D

I didn't think kettles were allowed in cabins? Anyway, I'm going to try and remember to take a thermos flask next year to fill the night before.

I said MI's not M1's (Actually when I type this I see how alike they look, so it's emm eye's not emm one's!:) )

Whether kettles are allowed or not depends on the ship, who you ask, where you get your information and what Cunard feel today! We've taken a kettle the last few times and never had a problem - I can't say that there'll be no problem again.

Is MI the lowest grade of all then? I thought M7 was... or even M6, the one with bunk beds :eek:

I think I'll play safe and just take a flask to fill with coffee the night before, I'm happy to walk up on deck anyway, it's SO that has to drink tea/coffee before he can get out of bed :D

Is MI the lowest grade of all then? I thought M7 was... or even M6, the one with bunk beds :eek:

I think I'll play safe and just take a flask to fill with coffee the night before, I'm happy to walk up on deck anyway, it's SO that has to drink tea/coffee before he can get out of bed :D

MI is an inside single - I've never has bunk beds. An inside with bunks - there wouldn't be room so swing a cat:eek:

MI is an inside single - I've never has bunk beds. An inside with bunks - there wouldn't be room so swing a cat:eek:

Just as well we aren't allowed to take cats on board then I guess - sorry, couldn't resist saying that :D

• 2 weeks later...

An inside with bunks - yep - thats the one I had - luckily it was only me and the upper bunk was pinned up

It was about six foot square (excluding the bathroom and wardrobes) - the TV took up half the dresser space - the phone half the rest. There was a pull out table, but then you couldn't get at stuff in the drawers! The door banged into the small 'bedside' table (not by the bed!) every time you opened it (this table had the ice bucket etc on.)

It was fine for one but can't image 2 people sharing it.

You could swing a cat - but it would have to be one with a very short tail:D

Karen

You could swing a cat - but it would have to be one with a very short tail:D

A Manx cat? But they don't have a tail at all:( There must be some special breed just meant for swinging - a Cunard Swinger or possible a Queenie? <G>

Looking at that cabin website (where 5200 is detailed as being 95 square feet), I realised what I had written!

It was about six foot square (excluding the bathroom and wardrobes)

I should clarify perhaps it seemed to be about six foot by six foot (e.g. 36 sq feet):D

I guess they count the wardrobe space (outside the 'square'), as well as the bathroom!

Well it could have been worse - I've just seen the cabins at 73sq feet!! :eek:

Also looking at that site, I see the alternative cabin I was offered (as an M6) was at one point an MI - 5059 - it looked smaller on the Cunard plan, so I went with 5200, but at 98 sq feet, I would have had a whole extra 3sq ft to play with!!! :D (and being at the other end of the ship, might have been quieter - but then a much longer walk to breakfast (the Lido) and outside decks!) :( )

Karen

The TA I book through is always able to tell us the square footage of any cabin offered, this was useful during our recent booking since for some reason the cabin size of 2033 doesn't appear on http://deluxe-cruises.us/cunard/information/qe2_deck_plans_and_categories_queens_grill.htm that I can see. I was told It's 138 sq ft, whereas 2031 is 112 sq ft (but don't tell the boys, us girls are hoping they won't notice :D )

I would have had a whole extra 3sq ft to play with!!! :D

Don't knock those three feet - the last time we were on we had a cabin that was only 10 feet bigger that the one the time before - It added less than a foot to the width of the cabin but the cabin seemed much, much bigger.

Archived