HongKong, Tokyo, Bangkok, Singapore...which would you drop from seeing?

thetraveller28

The only one we didn't visit in your list was Tokyo, but we stayed two days in Hong Kong, three in Bangkok, but only one in Singapore. There is just so much to see and do in all of the cities you listed. We would have gladly spent more time in each. We especially liked Hong Kong and hope to go back some day. Of the ones you listed, it had the most to offer by way of shopping, dining out and diversity of cultures. It was also the easiest to get around in if you don't speak the local dialect. The public transportation (bus, taxis, and subways) was easy to use and convenient. Just make sure you take along the name of your hotel, ship and pier, or wherever you are headed written down in the local language, so you can give it to any taxi driver and get to where you want to go.

Hope this helps a little,

Charlie

We have been to all of these cities except Tokyo. Recommend that you probably drop Singapore and add a day in any of the other cities. Singapore is a modern city with a lot of fine hotels and shopping but not much in terms of attractions. It is probably the most "Americanized" city and therefore the least stressful. We have been to Hong Kong twice and Bangkok three times. You can't go wrong spending extra time in either place but we would probably give the edge to Bangkok. Yes, it is crowded, polluted and very humid but the people are wonderful and there is so much to do. Lots of shopping as well as cultural attractions. There is a modern elevated train system with signs in both Thai and English. :)

We have also stayed in 3 of the 4 and I would consider dropping 3 of these cities and concentrating on just one. I know its very tempting to think you can visit all of these places in such a short time, but I honestly think that sometimes "less is more". I would consider quality rather than quantity. With 3 or all 4 of the above, all that running around, losing time travelling along the way. extra expense, extra hassle etc. I dont honestly think you have enough time in any of these places to actually visit properly. Before getting there you already need to decide what you are not going to have time for. And some of the "top" sites in each place might be closed on the particular days you are there.

Our first visit to Bankgkok was for 9 days and although we managed some out of town trips as well, we still had more to see in the city. We were back for 3 days last year as part of a b2b cruise, and spent 2 of these doing more sightseeing (which was new to us) in the city.

We first went there on the recommendation of others as we did not want a hectic itinerary like the one you suggest above. Bangkok has so much to offer that its easy to spend a min of a week there. Bangkok for 6 days will be easier on the pocket and on time, and you will have time to visit both in and out of the city. It will probably be more fun and more relaxing than a whistle stop tour which offers only glimpses a city. I cannot recommend this enough.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello:

I agree with most everything except I liked Hong Kong but did not love it. The one thing that you should keep in mind while you are scheduling is how travel is asia takes time....more then the USA. Sometimes you must wait in 3 different lines...one for check in....one for departure tax......one for customs. If you do not schdule enough time in each place you are really only going to be seeing the airports.

Good luck and enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree to skip Singapore. It's the least interesting of all the cities on your list.

As Desert Cruisers says, it's the most westernized city and other than fancy hotels and shops, there's not alot of cultural things to see there.

The winner is Singapore unless you are a big spender and like to shop! The city/country is so new it doesn't have much to offer. With all of the hype, even the Night Safari is less than spectacular.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived