Skinny jeans vs boot cuts

MrsMoose2001

Hi ladies, nothing to do with wearing them on a cruise, or where they are or are not appropriate to wear, just a fashion discussion, so no flames please.

What do you think of the new skinny jeans? and do you think a straight leg or "boot cut" could be a good compromise from the "very skinny".

I personally don't like the skinny ones. Not even on the super thin models. I just don't care for the look. But what about a straight leg or boot cut?

Instead of a flare? as a change? good compromise?

While I'm not crazy about the "skinny jean" look, I do like the "jeans tucked into boots" look. I think I can do that with straight leg jeans if I want to try that trend.

I really have no plan to go out and get a bunch of "skinny" jeans considering next year the trend will be something else ;-) I'm just going to keep on wearing my straight legs. I do have one or two boot cuts (not huge flares, just slight boot cut) that I'll continue to wear.

The look is starting to grow on me.

I don't like the way the super skinny stovepipe jeans look (did anyone see the photo of Jude Law wearing a pair? Frightening) but sort of like the others.

I like the low waist.

The problem is keeping them from making your butt look too big.

It's interesting that you should bring this up because it's been on my mind.

Having read the original What Not To Wear ladies' book, I was finally convinced that I should wear boot cut jeans to balance my hips and thighs. I never liked them (the look of them) but the way they presented them, it made sense. So I've bought several pairs and my straight leg jeans just hang in the closet and only get used for things like hiking in cooler weather.

Now the fashion trend is these skinny jeans. They are definitely not for my body, but I think they make even the size 1 ladies look a little out of proportion.

Is What Not To Wear going to now convince us that these are the most flattering fit because they're in style now? Are the boot-cut jeans going to be somehow shown to be unflattering because they are not the height of fashion now?

I am not going to be caught dead in skinny jeans. Been there, done that. I also feel that skinny jeans are for the super thin women out there with no hips or butt. Unfortunately I have both, so I will be sticking to my Low rise bootcut jeans right now. If I was 20 years old, I would definately wear it. It is fun to be trendy and wear the new trends, but I think that people need to wear what is right for their body. Just because the word "skinny" is in skinny jeans, does not mean that you will all of a sudden look svelte and model-like (I have to remind myself of this often!;) ).

In my InStyle magazine they showed how curvy women could wear skinny jeans, but to me, it still looked like they were trying to hard. That is just my opinion.

I wear what makes me happy, and my bootcuts will stay (for now).:)

My vote is for boot-cut, at least for me. Wearing what looks best on me is always going to win out over the latest thing that looks ridiculous on me. To me, it's just like wearing colors that you know are completely wrong for you - do so at your own risk!

My vote is for boot-cut, at least for me. Wearing what looks best on me is always going to win out over the latest thing that looks ridiculous on me. To me, it's just like wearing colors that you know are completely wrong for you - do so at your own risk!

I totally agree! I know that I have a butt and hips and the skinny jeans do NOT make them look better. I'll stick to wearing what is flattering and to me that is either straight leg or boot cut. I'm not sure who thinks this skinny jean look should come back, but I'm sure it's the same person who's trying to bring back leggings...don't like them either!:rolleyes:

Is What Not To Wear going to now convince us that these are the most flattering fit because they're in style now??

I think what Stacy and Clinton have always tried to emphasize is to wear what works for each individual's body type. I doubt they would gamble their credibility on stovepipe jeans.

By the way, you are skinny and could wear them! I've seen your photos:)

I think what Stacy and Clinton have always tried to emphasize is to wear what works for each individual's body type. I doubt they would gamble their credibility on stovepipe jeans.

The What Not To Wear people certainly would tend towards classic, investment pieces. I think if a "victim" was truly skinny and very young (because I think that only skinny and very young women can pull off this look) perhaps Stacy and Clinton would allow them a trendy item. I have learned over the years that classic dressing is smart dressing. I wouldn't go out and buy a whole fall/winter wardrobe based on skinny pants and leggings.

--Judy

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't a fan of the stovepipe skinny jeans.

I saw them on models in mags and I really just don't like them even on the super thing models.

I guess I think of different shapes, boot cut, flare, straight and skinny.

I've never seen a Stacy & Clinton show, don't know if we get that here:confused:

I don't mind the look of the jean tucked into a cowboy boot.

I just hope they continue to make designer jeans that are not stovepipe "skinny" jeans.

Another vote against skinny jeans. I was at a store in the mall last week and a young girl was trying them on in size 0. Even she didn't think she could pull off the look and she was rail thin.

I like a straight leg in a lighter weight denim. I like the way the fabric falls and moves.

Thanks, Sweetie! But you might be remembering a different photo. I'm a size 12 and curvy. No way I could pull these off!

But I must admit you made me smile with your comment! :)

Another vote against skinny jeans. I was at a store in the mall last week and a young girl was trying them on in size 0. Even she didn't think she could pull off the look and she was rail thin.

I like a straight leg in a lighter weight denim. I like the way the fabric falls and moves.

That is exactly what I think when I see the rail thin models in the mags. They still don't look great and they are the top models.

I don't think are are very flattering on any body type really, maybe guys would look better because of their build?

My 14 year old daughter wears the skinny jeans and has been for almost a year now. That in itself tells me that I should not wear them.

Well I'm not sure I agree with that in a general sense. I find that a lot of trendy fashion can be translated to a vast age group. Instead of all trendy maybe one piece at a time and a little on the conservative side. But I do think that just because a young person wears it doesn't necessarily mean a "mom" can't, just perhaps differently, different shoes, accessories, tops/bottoms/jackets.

I just don't think these jeans look great on any adult.

That is exactly what I think when I see the rail thin models in the mags. They still don't look great and they are the top models.

I don't think are are very flattering on any body type really, maybe guys would look better because of their build?

I thought the same, until I saw this tweener' in them. She was pre-puberty so she ahd that coltish build - long and lanky. Maybe it was just the tight t's the store was trying to sell to go with the skinny jeans that made the look so unappealing. (her mom said she was trying on size large t's to find one that wasn't so fitted with the size 0 jeans)

I am not going to be caught dead in skinny jeans. Been there, done that. I also feel that skinny jeans are for the super thin women out there with no hips or butt. Unfortunately I have both, so I will be sticking to my Low rise bootcut jeans right now.

Amen to that!!!

OMG... if I wore a pair of those I would look like a carmel apple with nuts!!!!!!:eek: You can see what I mean.... a stick and then a big, huge round thing at the top with lumps and bumps and things!!!!

EEEEWWWW!!

No thank you, I don' care who announces these a good fashion move... they will NOT be entering my closet!

And with that said, these would NEVER, I do mean Never...under any circumstances, be a flattering article for my body.

I would look like a sausage in it's casing!!

Oh my.... the visuals just keep assaulting me!!

IMO, if you have any kind of curves, it's not the look for you.

Personally, I'm somewhat thin, but do have hips and a butt and they would not be the ideal look for me. I think Stacy and Clinton would use the term "ice cream cone" to describe them like they do with tapered jeans.

I thought the same, until I saw this tweener' in them. She was pre-puberty so she ahd that coltish build - long and lanky. Maybe it was just the tight t's the store was trying to sell to go with the skinny jeans that made the look so unappealing. (her mom said she was trying on size large t's to find one that wasn't so fitted with the size 0 jeans)

Oh yes, I think a girl at that age could wear them, and I agree 100% with you. I was talking adult women. I know I can't believe even for adult women what a size L looks like in some t-shirts.

i definitely would not go for skinny jeans, no matter how "trendy" they were.

as many posters earlier mentioned, even the models don't look good in them.

then again, being petite, i never really liked the look of tapered pants or bunching by the ankles.

i used to be into the flared look, but came to realize that they just make the hips look rounder.

definitely love the boot cut though, they make us petite ladies 'long & leggy' , esp, if the hem just grazes the floor and covers our 3in heels;)

LandLocked - See, that's why I don't watch What Not to Wear. LOL!

Actually I don't either. :rolleyes:

The book I referred to, and the only show of that name I watch, is the British version with Susannah and Trinny. I find them much more easy to take. The book had examples using their own bodies and pointing out their own flaws, then showed an example of the "wrong" shape pant, sleeve, neckline, shoe, etc. next to the right shape and the difference was quite clear. Even though I loaned the book to someone and have not received it back, I still use those examples in my head when I shop for myself and I believe it makes a big difference.

I have to admit that I do like this look. I grew up in the late 70s and early 80s when it was a very rock 'n roll (or punk) look. Think Tom Petty back in the day, or the Ramones. When done right (on a skinny lead guitarist or YOUNG celebrity -- such as Orlando Bloom), it can still be very HOT to me.

Of course, back then I was 5'8" and 112 lbs. I could pull it off too.

Now, I would NEVER go back to that look. I'm not all that big on jeans anyway. If I do wear a jean, I prefer a trouser-style or straight leg (NOT tapered) over the flare or boot cut. Not sure why, but flare/boot-cut styles seem to make my legs look shorter. :confused:

Archived