*How do you get the cheapest car rental?

Flying into Orlando Airport in early November and want to rent a car. What's the cheapest way of doing this and what tips do you have? Any suggestions on ways to get a discount?

It sure is expensive to rent a car nowadays :)

Thanks!

Kim

I use Priceline. I would look at several sites to see who has the lowest rate, then bid using that. I saved about $200 for 12 nights off the Hertz website. We flew into Orlando. I think it was about a 30-40% savings if that gives you an idea of where to begin. Just make sure you are going because it is non-refundable. If you don't get it your first time, wait 24 hours and rebid a bit higher. You can bid every 24 hours.

Check Mousesavers.com. It is primarily a site for DisneyWorld but there is a section on transportation that has lots of information on rental car discounts. It has saved me a lot in the past.

I also will cast my support for Priceline. I would never consider using them for anything else, but for cars they work well. As an example, this past week I need a car for 4 days in Montana. The cheapest rate I could find online was using my Costco membership. The total was about $200. I bid $120 on Priceline and even though Priceline suggested that price would be too low and not likely to be accepted it was! Bid low!!

We reserve our car direct with the rental company as soon as we have plane tickets or a cruise deposit in, WAY in advance. Then we have plenty of time to look around and can always cancel the reservation if we find something better. Booked our car for the Keys next February (post cruise) in June when we put the deposit on the cruise. Doing so in advance we usually pay about 1/2 what the rates would be if done a couple months before the trip. In most cases Thrifty will often have the lowest fares.

You can sometimes find discount codes in the car rental forums at Flyertalk.com:)

• 3 weeks later...
Flying into Orlando Airport in early November and want to rent a car. What's the cheapest way of doing this and what tips do you have? Any suggestions on ways to get a discount?

It sure is expensive to rent a car nowadays :)

Thanks!

Kim

Kim Try Dollar rent a car. A simple google search when I went found a "discount code" that made our mini van CHEAP.

Discounts, Codes and Coupons

To find the best rates, I recommend trying every code that applies to your travel dates and desired car type when checking rates for

Dollar online. Just type the code into the "Promo Codes" box on the Dollar web site. (Note that the Dollar web site has changed. In order to enter a discount code, click on the Specials tab at the top of the page. Then you'll be able to see the Promo Code box.)

The codes below are good for anyone to use and do not require a paper coupon. However, some of them will work only for certain dates and/or car types, and some have blackout dates over certain holidays -- so if one doesn't work, try another. Rates do not include taxes and fees.

In order to enter a discount code on the Dollar web site, click on the Specials tab at the top of the page. Then you'll be able to see the Promo Code box.

Be sure to try booking

Dollar with no code at all. Sometimes it's a better deal than the rates with a code!

KISS2 for rates from Dollar as low as: economy $18.99/day, $89.99/wk; compact $20.99/day, $98.99/wk; intermediate $34.99/day, $179.99/wk; standard $22.99/day, $108.99/wk; fullsize $24.99/day, $118.99/wk; premium $26.99/day, $138.99/wk; luxury $39.99/day, $188.99/wk; minivan $29.99/day, $158.99/wk; convertible $34.99/day, $168.99/wk; standard SUV $44.99/day, $198.99/wk. Good in Florida only. Blackout dates may apply. Valid through 12/31/06. Source: Kissimmee/St. Cloud Convention & Visitors Bureau

My best search so far has been a hotel for .95 per night :eek: in Artesia, CA, Quality INNLength of Stay:1 NightNumber of Rooms:2Estimated Total:1.90 (US Dollar) NOT including taxes of: 6.00%

A little time can save you ALOT OF MONEY! GOOD LUCK

• 4 weeks later...
pickpart2,

What site did you use to get your deal on a hotel room like that? That is awesome!

The site was

choicehotels.com

I use this chain when I travel for business (for points = free rooms) and just HAPPENED this hotel had a typo on the day we were coming in prior to our cruise.

I got my confirmation number and from what I have been told this happens all the time even with airfair.

Kim Try Dollar rent a car. A simple google search when I went found a "discount code" that made our mini van CHEAP.

Discounts, Codes and Coupons

To find the best rates, I recommend trying every code that applies to your travel dates and desired car type when checking rates for

Dollar online. Just type the code into the "Promo Codes" box on the Dollar web site. (Note that the Dollar web site has changed. In order to enter a discount code, click on the Specials tab at the top of the page. Then you'll be able to see the Promo Code box.)

The codes below are good for anyone to use and do not require a paper coupon. However, some of them will work only for certain dates and/or car types, and some have blackout dates over certain holidays -- so if one doesn't work, try another. Rates do not include taxes and fees.

In order to enter a discount code on the Dollar web site, click on the Specials tab at the top of the page. Then you'll be able to see the Promo Code box.

Be sure to try booking

Dollar with no code at all. Sometimes it's a better deal than the rates with a code!

KISS2 for rates from Dollar as low as: economy $18.99/day, $89.99/wk; compact $20.99/day, $98.99/wk; intermediate $34.99/day, $179.99/wk; standard $22.99/day, $108.99/wk; fullsize $24.99/day, $118.99/wk; premium $26.99/day, $138.99/wk; luxury $39.99/day, $188.99/wk; minivan $29.99/day, $158.99/wk; convertible $34.99/day, $168.99/wk; standard SUV $44.99/day, $198.99/wk. Good in Florida only. Blackout dates may apply. Valid through 12/31/06. Source: Kissimmee/St. Cloud Convention & Visitors Bureau

My best search so far has been a hotel for .95 per night :eek: in Artesia, CA, Quality INNLength of Stay:1 NightNumber of Rooms:2Estimated Total:1.90 (US Dollar) NOT including taxes of: 6.00%

A little time can save you ALOT OF MONEY! GOOD LUCK

Thank you so much! I just booked a mini van for $209! WOW!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I use Carrentals.com. I just booked a one-way airport rental (Jeep Grand Cherokee) with a drop in another state for next month and it was only $57 total. When using other websites, it was twice this amount because of the drop fees. No drop fees for this rental! Plus, they service all major U.S. airports. Rentals begin at $8.99 per day.

If I have a coupon code (i.e. AX10 saves 10% off w/use of American Express card) I will use the rental car company's website. Good luck and have fun in Orlando!

I always start with Kayak. Next step is carrentals.com. Then depending on my results I check directly with the companies that gave me the best deals.

I've never had any luck with priceline. I tried bidding just $20 below my quote for Avis and it would not accept it. How do you all do it?

Archived