Princess Mini-suite vs RCCL balcony cabin

teachergal29

I'm interested in how the Princess mini-suite on the IP compares to the regular RCCL balcony(not junior suite)stateroom.. :confused:

We are going on our first Princess cruise this Oct to Hawaii on IP. We have only been on RCCL and HAL for previous cruises. We are interested in whether the mini will feel a lot bigger than the balcony that we are used to on RCCL. Thanks in advance for any information. Aloha:)

It would depend on the ship. On Grand class ships the bigger balconys are actually regular balcony cabins that are half covered and half open. On the golden this is the caribe deck. The mini suite balconys are actually smaller than these (on Dophin deck). Now there are a few exceptions to this but if a big balcony is what you are looking for check out the BA class of cabins on the Caribe deck.

Have a great next cruise.

I'm sorry, we are going on the Island Princess(IP). We were just wondering if anyone had been on both lines and knew if we would be pleasantly surprised with extra space both in the mini cabin and the balcony comparing each. We are on the Caribe deck. Thanks

The Caribe balconies on the Island and Coral are about 9 X 9 or 10 X 10, with the cabins running about 200 sf. (the regular BA cabins) The mini suites are a bigger room, but what you gain inside, you lose outside. Having cruised other lines, with MUCH smaller cabins, Mrs. 2Ports & I opted for the BA this trip (our first w/o our enormous 15yo) because we know the cabin will be more than ample for the just 2 of us, and really like the extended balcony.

Which RCI ship were you on? I think the IP minis compare quite favorably with a D-1 on a Radiance class ship, and are a lot nicer than a D-1 on a Vision-class (I haven't been on a Voyager class, but I think they're similar in size & layout to Radiance). On a Radiance class ship, when you walk into the cabin, you'll have the bathroom & closet, then the sitting area with the couch opposite a vanity & TV, then the bed by the window. On IP in a mini, you'll have the bathroom & closet area, then the bed, then the vanity on one side & the fridge & one TV on the other. Then you have the sofa & chair by the window. There is also a second TV for the "living room" area.

The balcony of the mini is usually larger than that of the D-1. Exceptions would be a cabin on the stern, which are big enough for loungers, chairs & a table (RCI) or the cabins on the end of one of the humps, which are a bit smaller (IP). On a standard mini, you'd only get 2 full loungers out there comfortably by foregoing the chair & tables. I can't remember whether the Island has those half-reclining chairs like the Diamond, which are very comfortable - we had two of those plus two upright chairs & a nice-sized table, and had plenty of room for sunning, reading, gazing, whatever. The D-1 would have just the chairs & a small table.

So I think you'll be favorably impressed by the size of the mini. Have a great time!

The RCL ships that we had D-2 balcony cabins were on Vision to Mexico and the Explorer to Caribbean. Both were about the same size inside and out. We were just wondering how that compared to the mini on the Princess, inside and out on the balcony. On the RCL we had a sofa which Princess does not in their balcony cabin. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Pam

I haven't sailed on Explorer, so can't help you there, but Vision's balconies are cut from the hull (except for the cabins on the stern), so they are fully covered, AND fully enclosed, which makes them a bit dark for my tastes. The IP balcony will be partly covered, with lots of light but a little protection from the elements. I think you'll like it a lot better, and I'm sure you'll like the interior of the cabin better, too!

We were in a D9 on AOS, and the mini's on the Island are bigger. They also have two tvs and a bathtub in the bathroom. The Island balcony would be bigger than the RCI balcony, but perhaps not covered on the Island..........depends on where you are. You are right, the balcony cabins on the Island, or any other Princess ship, do not have the little sofa that the RCI balcony cabins do.

Please note that there are a few mini-suites on the Island and Coral that have the small size balconies. But these are in premium locations, such as the corners of the bumpouts.

There are even a few mini-suites that don't have any balcony at all. One danger in accepting an upgrade from a regular balcony room on these ships is that the upgrade might be to one of the minis without a balcony. Most people, including myself, would prefer a regular stateroom with a balcony over a mini-suite without one.

Also, the mini-suites that are on the Caribe Deck are half covered as Critterchick mentioned, but the ones on the Dolphin deck are not covered at all.

I found this info on Caribbean Princess. A balcony cabin is 202 square ft. a mini-suite is 300 square ft.

Mariner of the Seas ocaeanviews with balconys start at 188 square ft.

I see why you asked this. I compared Caribbean Princess to Mariner of the Seas in prices and I can have a mini suite on CP for the price of a balcony on MOS.

So if you book the cheapest balcony on CP it is still a little bigger then the cheapest balcony on MOS.

We had a 280 square foot veranda stateroom on Disney Wonder. It was nice. We felt like we were in a hotel room instead of a stateroom on a ship. I know our HAL oceanview stateroom was around that size also.

So if you book a mini suite-it will be more comparable to your HAL cruise then your RCCL cruise.

You need to remember to deduct the size of the balcony from the square footage. Princess includes the balcony in the total. Our cabin was about 160 sf on the Grand and the balcony was about 40 for a total of 200 sf. I wish they would break it down in the brochures and on the website so you have a better idea of size.

You need to remember to deduct the size of the balcony from the square footage. Princess includes the balcony in the total. Our cabin was about 160 sf on the Grand and the balcony was about 40 for a total of 200 sf. I wish they would break it down in the brochures and on the website so you have a better idea of size.

Now that would be nice. I am tempted to bring my tape measure on my next cruise, so I would have that data. However, it would probably make my very patient wife uncomfortable if I started asking people if I could measure their cabins.:o

Now that would be nice. I am tempted to bring my tape measure on my next cruise, so I would have that data. However, it would probably make my very patient wife uncomfortable if I started asking people if I could measure their cabins.:o

All you would have to do was state you were conducting a very important experiment for CC and your DW is your lovely assistant. :D

Seriously, we all know about this detail, but I wonder how many folks don't use the internet and enter the cabin for the first time and say, "no way this is 300 sf. I've been bamboozled!"

Thanks so much to all of the above posters.. I really appreciate your input and helping me get an idea of how big this mini is going to be..

Yes, Tom, I especially thank you for that wonderful site referenced above(must have taken a ton of time and effort). We actually have an uncovered balcony, but that seems to be fine since we are completely aft and have a "secret deck"(some say) out back and can go there to get out of the Hawaiian sun(and still be outside) if needed.

Yes, I agree, it would be nice if the cruise lines would break down the sq. footage in the room vs the balcony. I had to laugh when TexasMom2 said that you could go around with "your assistant"(DW) and measure rooms vs. balcony. Great idea!!:D

Anxious to see our mini(AB) and go to Hawaii in Oct. I just know it will be fantastic with all this great info on this site. What could be better..cruising with my honey(DH) on a beautiful ship. Can't wait!!!

BTW DH and I had no idea this site existed before this upcoming cruise on Princess. Actually we stumbled onto it by "googling" Princess cruise reviews.. It is just fantastic and a great source of information, not to mention all the wonderful cruise-loving people here.

Thanks again. Aloha, Pam:)

I have had conceirge class and balcony on RCC and balcony on Island Princess- the Rcc cabin was larger and more spacious than the Island Princess- but we were in cabin C402 on Island and the balcony was a nice size-- larger than our friends balcony who had a mini-suite on our ship.

Archived