Panama Canal Cruise April 30 Question

OldCodger73

Everyone has been great answering questions so here goes some more.

We were thinking about a February 16 Panama Canal cruise on the Volendam but put off doing anything and now the category of cabin we would be interested in is marked "closed".

So instead we're considering the April 30 Panama Canal sailing on the Amsterdam, which has the added advantage of ending up in our home port Seattle. However, since this is almost summer we're concerned about heat and humidity at that time of year. Has anyone had experience with a Panama Canal cruise in May, and if so how brutal was the temperature and humidity?

Going back to the Volendam cruise, this is August and the cruise isn't until February. Has anybody had experience wait-listing for a specific category of cabin that far out? Were you successful?

TIA.

Take the April 30th sailing, you will enjoy it. Generally repositioning cruises are less and you get the benefit of seeing the entire passage through the canal. We live in Redmond and getting off the ship and driving home was much much better than having to fly for 7 hours going back.

Panama is always hot and humid. We were on the Westerdam, this last April on the same passage and the heat was not all that bad.

I don't know the answer, but my question would be how much different is the heat/humidity in April vs February? I'm betting not much---if at all!

If there's not much difference on that score, then I would take the longer cruise. Ending up right near home is an added bonus!

As has been said by Redmondcruiser, Panama is always hot and humid but it's still an awesome cruise and going through the canal still a great experience. As far as it being brutal, it'll be hot but I wouldn't call it brutal. I'd take the 30 APR cruise expecially since it's ending in your home town!

We've done the full repositioning several times: it is a fabulous cruise.

From Florida to the canal it is 70-85 degrees, but usually with some wind to keep things reasonable.

Realistically, however, you really don't have much of a chance to get away from the heat for most of this cruise. If it is cloudy, it won't be broiling in the sun, but hot (80-90 degrees) for much of the time.

We have found the Mexican ports the worst as far as heat goes, the Caribbean ones less hot, with more chance of cloud and some respite.

Once past Cabo San Lucas on the way north, it becomes beautiful cruising weather: breezy, cooler, with lots of dolphin and whale activity!

As far as humidity goes, we have never really felt that it was as humid as it is advertised to be.

I seriously doubt that there would be any difference between February and April.

The Amsterdam is a very, very nice ship, possibly as some have said, "a cut above".:)

I understand that the temperature in Panama doesn't vary much, but there is a rainy season from May to November/December, with December to April being dry. One web site I just checked put the start of the rainy season in approximately late May, but any particular year might be different, of course.

We went through last mid-December, and the weather was gorgeous, one brief rain shower. I would expect April to be just fine.

To maximize your enjoyment and sense of wonder, I recommend reading The Path Between the Seas before you go, on the history of building the Canal. It's a story you couldn't make up, full of danger, scandal and intrigue.

Hope OldCodger doesn't mind, but I would like to ask a question since we are also looking at PC cruises. Is port or starboard best for balcony or does it matter?

Also, does the size of the ship matter - Vista vs. the smaller ones?

Thanks

I couldn't agree more with Cactuslady's intelligent and accurate post. Panama's weather is dictated more by the rainy / dry seasons than anything else, and Path Between the Seas is an incredible book and will really enhance your trip.

You may want to consider RCI Serenade of the Seas PC 14 day sailing in mid April from San Juan to San Francisco, and then staying on a third week from SF to Vancouver. Hope to see you on board!

Have been through on S, R and Vista classes.

On the smaller two classes you can see more of the lock area once you are inside the gates; on the Vista the ship pretty much fills up the lock area.

All are an experience, just make sure you go up to the Sky deck for a while for the panoramic view of the surrounding area.

Don't personally see that there is a better side to have your balcony on. Best viewing areas tend to be at the bow, in the Crow's Nest or the Sky deck, although during a brief downpour the aft decks (Navigation, etc) on the S and R classes provided a great, dry viewing area.

Hope OldCodger doesn't mind, but I would like to ask a question since we are also looking at PC cruises. Is port or starboard best for balcony or does it matter?

Also, does the size of the ship matter - Vista vs. the smaller ones?

Thanks

No problem, I would probably have ended up asking your first question anyway.

The reason I asked about humidity was that for about a six year period we took at least one trip a winter to Mexico's west coast, primarily Puerto Vallarta and Ixtapa, and quicky discover that October was a no-no because of the humidity. Of course being from the Seattle area we're wimps when it comes to hot weather and high humidity.

We are very interested in booking that cruise too. We are cruising this Nov and was thinking of booking it then on the ship, if possible. Is there any extra benefit to doing that? One thing I am concerned about is waiting too long to book it and not get the cabin we want, so it may not worth waiting for. We will only be booking either outside or inside on Main deck, our favourite spot.

Everyone has been great answering questions so here goes some more.

We were thinking about a February 16 Panama Canal cruise on the Volendam but put off doing anything and now the category of cabin we would be interested in is marked "closed".

So instead we're considering the April 30 Panama Canal sailing on the Amsterdam, which has the added advantage of ending up in our home port Seattle. However, since this is almost summer we're concerned about heat and humidity at that time of year. Has anyone had experience with a Panama Canal cruise in May, and if so how brutal was the temperature and humidity?

Going back to the Volendam cruise, this is August and the cruise isn't until February. Has anybody had experience wait-listing for a specific category of cabin that far out? Were you successful?

TIA.

...Been in Panama at all times of the year, it is at latitude 8* [almost on the equater],,,Temperatures pretty constant all year around....I believe April is just before rainy season but you can still get thundershowers...Wait listing does often times work with HAL, especially if your TA is one of their "heavy producers"...Good luck!...The canal transit is always fun!

Archived