tsa locks or zip-locks with the new security?

musicmansmom

i have always used the zip-locks and had no problems. but i am wondering with the new rules and tighter random checking of bags if i should go to the tsa locks. has anyone had a experience yet with this situation and what do you think one should use now. i want to lock my checked bag somehow but now i am not sure what type of lock to use.

any help here or thoughts on the matter. i fly in 3 weeks and am starting to wonder what to use. thanks alot.

I flew Tuesday night and will fly home again tomorrow night. I ALWAYS use brightly colored ( florescent orange or green is great). My TSA locks (2 sets) were cut off within 3 months of purchase a couple years ago.

Don't waste your money.

whatever you use, they will break it or cut it if they have too. for years i used those little "jewely box" locks. you can break into with a hair pin (in case i ever lost the key). never had a problem, but i don't even use those any more, it's not worth it. if the scanner see something and want a closer look..no lock is going to stop them. just don't put anything important in the checked.

i have always used the zip-locks and had no problems. but i am wondering with the new rules and tighter random checking of bags if i should go to the tsa locks. has anyone had a experience yet with this situation and what do you think one should use now. i want to lock my checked bag somehow but now i am not sure what type of lock to use.

any help here or thoughts on the matter. i fly in 3 weeks and am starting to wonder what to use. thanks alot.

Each time I've flown in the past 3 years as soon as we hand over our luggage to the airlines it goes through the security checks. They've opened it every single time and looked at the contents. Only once did I see them just unzip it give it a brief look and zip it right back up. I thought that was the normal proceedure now but perhaps not if people are able to use ziplocks on their luggage??

I flew Tuesday night and will fly home again tomorrow night. I ALWAYS use brightly colored ( florescent orange or green is great). My TSA locks (2 sets) were cut off within 3 months of purchase a couple years ago.

Don't waste your money.

That's a shame they were cut off. We've used TSA locks several times over the past 2 years and had no problems. I know that a determined thief can still get in the bags but I'm just trying to slow them down. I would think given the current security situation TSA would prefer that bags are locked to prevent someone unauthorized from "adding" items to them?

Cheryl

That's a shame they were cut off. We've used TSA locks several times over the past 2 years and had no problems. I know that a determined thief can still get in the bags but I'm just trying to slow them down. I would think given the current security situation TSA would prefer that bags are locked to prevent someone unauthorized from "adding" items to them?

Cheryl

cheryl, that was my thought also. like you said if nothing else it might slow someone down from adding something to the bag or having it accidentaly unzipped and things spilling out. i am going to go ahead and use the zip-locks and see what happens. i always carry extra ones for on the way back home.

What are zip locks? I never lock my luggage, and have had the little sign inside saying they inspected it.

Actually: what would be the reason that your luggage would be inspected? What do they look for?

What are zip locks? I never lock my luggage, and have had the little sign inside saying they inspected it.

Actually: what would be the reason that your luggage would be inspected? What do they look for?

Zip ties, electricians's ties, little plastic straps that you hook together electrical/electronic cables. Available at Home Depot, Lowes, True Value and most any place hardware, electronics or electrical supplies are available. Look for the brightly colored, prefereably florescent ones. Makes it easy to spot your luggage AND if you don't see the bright colored tie, you KNOW someone has been in your luggage.

Why is luggage inspected? One of three reasons-something looks suspicious in the X-ray; if you are transiting an airport with "bomb sniffers", your luggage may have given off an odd signal OR most likely, random checks. Just like any random test-drug screening at work, TSA secondary screening at the airport-a certain percentage of bags will be searched thoroughly. In South America, not only do they go through your luggage, but you are made to turn on every electrical item in your luggage-hair dryers, steamers, etc.

I always use the plastic cable ties to lock my suitcase. They are cheap and come in bulk (a few bucks for 50-100 of them) so I don't mind if security cuts them because I'll be doing it myself when I arrive.

My main concern still is the issue of who is responsible for your luggage once you check it. There's still too many instances of something being stolen and no one (e.g. Airlines or TSA) taking responsibility for your bag once it's in the bowels of the airport. Because of that I'm locking my bag everytime and if the TSA cuts the lock, they do, but I've had that happen only about 20% of the time and the rest of the time my bag flying fully locked.

Each time I've flown in the past 3 years as soon as we hand over our luggage to the airlines it goes through the security checks. They've opened it every single time and looked at the contents. Only once did I see them just unzip it give it a brief look and zip it right back up. I thought that was the normal proceedure now but perhaps not if people are able to use ziplocks on their luggage??

You have ALWAYS been able to lock your luggage, with either locks or zip ties. People became confused, as TSA stated sometime after 911 that they would inspect luggage and locks on luggage would be broken and were encouraging people to leave their suitcases unlocked.

Then the TSA lock came out and everyone felt "safe". EXCEPT, TSA has quite a few very lazy employees. If they can't find the key, or it is close to break time or one other of a 1000 excuses, they will use the bolt cutters on the lock.

I have used zip ties on lots of stuff for years. We own a global logisitcs/ trucking company and those zip ties are ALWAYS laying around. We use them for many, many things, other than their original purpose (they make great band clamps on hoses and will substitute for filter wrenches in an emergency). We started really using them 20 years ago to keep CB radios in place and prevent theft. I was ecstatic when they came out with colors other than black and white. Not only am I practical (always have a few someplace), but now I am fashionable.

Glad to have answers...I just did not recognize the term "zip lock" or "zip tie".

I also have used them over the years. Now, re the brightly colored ties: good idea. I have some cable ties (as I call them:D ) that are the flat kind. Lots of them in white. I think I will just dab a bit of bright florescent paint on them. My...I now have an "original"...:D

I removed my hair dryer from luggage, and now will put my small electric coffee maker I always take in my carry on. Do they allow this sort of device for carry-on? I can't find any info over on TSA re this. It is just the one cup type that boils water for tea or inst. coffee.

• 4 weeks later...

I use TSA locks made by Prestolock that have the SearchAlert feature that indicates when the lock has been opened with the "master key". I had one cut off early in the program, but nothing for the last year or more. My bags are rarely opened (perhaps due to my packing and contents), and I am very happy to have them locked from opportunistic pilfering. At about $8-9 per lock, I'm willing to invest that even if I might have it cut. I carry along a spare or two for the return trip, as well as cable ties as a secondary/backup.

One thing I also do, and highly recommend -- I lock my carryon, especially if on a red-eye. While I'm sleeping, it's quite possible for someone to go into my bag in the overhead. Who'd notice in the dark, or know just who's bag someone is opening. The FA's sure aren't keeping tabs. My electronics stay safe and my wife's jewelry also stays safe (she locks hers as well). Those don't need to be TSA locks, BTW.

Archived