Russian River cruise - advice/questions/company? Avalon and Amadeus?

Coral

Hi,

I need some advice/assistance in researching a Russian River cruise. I was in Russia in the late 80's and loved the architecture/history and have wanted to go back ever since.

I have cruised the main stream cruise lines but have never been on a river cruise. I am in my mid-30's and hope I will not be too out of place on a river cruise. The nightlife on the ship is not important to me - for me, it is all about the ports! I am looking at the river cruise because the main stream lines only spend a few days in St. Petersburg.

While traveling with people my age is not that important to me - I do not want to be on a cruise/tour where tours are slowed due to huge mobility issues. If this is going to be the case - let me know.

I have reading these boards and Avalon and Amadeus intrigue me. Though I don't fully know if what I am reading is up to date/accurate.

Avalon was going to try to put out Avalon MS Anastasia but it was cancelled in 2006 due to the vessel not being completed/renovated according to this link: http://www.modernagent.com/x/modernagent/visitor/resources/editorial.cds?n=9754

I tried to look at Avalon's website for info on this vessel/itinerary for 2007 and I couldn't find anything. Is Avalon still looking at the Russian itinerary? Or have they ditched the idea?

I am also looking at Amadeus' Tolstoy. It looks much older than their other ships but everyone seems to say that it is a nice ship and worth considering.

Is it right to think that Amadeus and Avalon are a tier above Viking in River Cruise or am I reading too much into Amadeus and Avalon's marketing material? Should I also consider Viking?

I am not ruling out a land trip but haven't found a tour that I consider comperable.

One last thing - I will most likely be traveling single on this trip and would very much like to keep in touch with home as I have a parent with health issues. Do any of these ships offer internet and if not, what is my best option for keeping in contact (renting a phone?).

Thanks for any advice on this? Any other websites to look at with river cruising information?

Theresa

Coral,

I did Moscow to St. Petersburg in May on GCT's Tikhi Don, I loved it. I had problems with their home office before I left but once in Russia everything was great. You are an experienced traveler and I don't think your age would be a problem although it is quite possible you will be the youngest aboard. Mobility really isn't a problem. I have a bum ticker and cannot walk very far so I did not go on walking tours. I did take the bus tours. Since the boat is not equipped with wheelchair access you need to get around on your own. I did not see any walkers or crutches. Hopefully, no one gets too sick on board. My room mate went down to see the doctor and was told she couldn't see her then because she was giving a massage!

I enjoyed it so much I am going back next year because instead of the whole trip being on the boat they are going to have 4 days each in hotels in Moscow and St. Petersburg. The boat was not close to taxis, especially in Moscow.

There were several people that were traveling alone and they were fine. Since you have the same program director for the whole trip you get to know everyone in your group pretty well. It is a bus load (maybe 40 people). In March I took a 30 day cruise solo and it was great!

I was in St. Petersburg about 5 years ago and it was so good to see how it has changed. The people seem happier, the infrastructure is much better and I didn't see people pushing a Lada around almost every corner (although they still make them)!

Coral,

I can not comment on Avalon in Russia, but in their 2007 brochure they do not mention Russia.

Last year we did the 16 day St Petersburg to Moscow trip with Uniworld, and it was great. On the 16 day trip you have extra days in St Petersburg and Moscow. The ports we visited were all great with very good tours, free time, etc. All Russian cruise ships are the same, but some companies have upgraded the cabins to a larger size. We had no problems with the Uniworld ship: it was very well upkept.

Also with Uniworld, we took their Baltics pre-tour which was fabulous visiting Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia. If you like architecture/history you will love these countries.

Dennis

We did it with Vantage last month. We've done Vantage and GCT before. With both of those companies, you book directly through them. We chose Vantage over GCT because........looking over thier brochures, both trips appear to be identical, and price idenical as well, but.....on the GCT trip several outings are "optional". They were inlcuded on the Vantage trip and the difference came to about $600 a couple. (Could you imagine going to St Pete and NOT going to Peterhoff???? that was an additional option with GCT) Also, the GCT was, I think, 14 breakfasts, 9 lunches and 6 dinners included, or pretty close to that. THe Vantage was 14, 14, 14, included. Some folks on our trip opted to dine on thier own and it was pricy. Once couple had dinner at the Europa Hotel in St Pete. He checked it out ion line at home first and they knew before hand what it would be like, it was very elegant, very foo-foo shi-shi but it was $500 for the couple! One single travler stayed in Moscow after our day's tour and paid $100 for an "nothing speical " (his words), dinner. Several folks on our trips were singles and you easily become part of the group. I would have no reservations of taking this type of trip solo.

Theresa, just returned from voyage in Russia with Viking River. It was our second trip with Viking River and rebooked with them as our China trip last year was outstanding and we got a terrific deal with EBD and inexpensive air from Atlanta to St. Petersburg returning from Moscow. Some of the things we liked were the amount of time (11 days) as we're still working and 16 days is too long, the price, the fact that on this trip we were on the boat the entire time (no hotel rooms), and the comfort level we have with Viking River. I can say that we were very happy with the trip. Yes, most of the individuals on the trip were retired and well-traveled, but we find we learn so much during discussions with them and have taken a number of trips where we were among the youngest onboard and had an enjoyable time. Most all of the excursions were included in the price, a few were optional. Another area where Viking River excelled was in providing excellent information and tips for those wanting to venture out on their own. I posted a review of our trip on this board on Sunday, feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

I just wanted to thank everyone for all of your advice. I work at a school and things got really busy this week so I haven't had much time to do any more research...

Unberwood - I wonder what happened to MS Anastasia? So I guess Avalon is a no-go for next year.

WarEagle - thank you. I read your review this weekend and it was extremely helpful. Looks like Viking is worth going with also. I am interested in Pam's comments when she returns from her September cruise.

Relevart and Marco - thank you. I will look into what the other lines are doing also. Marco - no, I can't imagine missing Peterhoff. When I went to Europe in 1988 - we did 8 countries in 8 weeks or something like that. Peterhoff was my favorite place of the entire trip. One of the reasons why I am looking at a River cruise is because I can't even think of doing a main stream line and spending an hour at Peterhoff. A friend did the trip 2 years ago and missed the fountains being turned on there. I loved playing in the trick fountains there!

You all raised some very good points about hotels and food prices. On my last trip - all the food was included so this wasn't a worry. It probably is good that I am looking at a river cruise and not a land trip.

I appreciate everyone's input. The single part doesn't bother me - I like meeting people and I have learned a lot from people who I have met on my travels who are much more experiened and wiser than myself.

Thank you!

Theresa

Archived