Final questions about taxis and Amtrak

Cruisechick82

Ok, this is kind of a dumb question. We are staying in Seattle the day before our cruise at the Sheraton Towers downtown. In the morning we need to take a taxi to the Amtrak station which I hear is about a $10 cab ride? How do we get the taxi? Do we tell the front desk that we need a taxi called at a certain time?

Also, Amtrak leaves at 7:40. What time should we be there in order to get a seat on the left side?

I would think all you would need to do is tell your bell captain/doorman to get you a taxi. I've driven in front of the Sheraton on some Saturday and Sunday mornings and there is always a line up on the street of available taxis. Although if you are leaving very early, you might just want to ask them upon your arrival if it's necessary to schedule a pick up.

Sorry but I have no experience on Amtrak, so I can't help with that question.

You can call the cab yourself too. The front desk will have the contact for the nearest cab company. Otherwise they will call for you.

I would be at the station 30 mins. early. You will also need to check your bags ahead, on the left as you enter the station. Look for the booths near the track doors, not at the ticket counter. When you see a line starting- get in it, line on the left. Ask for water side seating.

If you are sailing from Canada Place and pack light- which you should be anyway- no more than one quality rolling bag. It is simple to get to Canada Place via the $2.25pp Sky train.

I loved the Amtrak transfer!

Our hotel called a taxi for us. We were at the station at 6:30am back in May ~ no line to the baggage check, and first in line for seating choice.

I also recommend you ask for forward-facing seats in addition to seating on the west side.

We had an incident while going to purchase our skytrain tickets in Vancouver. They are purchased at vending machines. A stranger (glasses frames on, but no lenses!) approached us trying to sell 'used' skytrain vouchers. When we said no thanks... not having a clue what was going on, he proceeded to become our 'guide', leading us to the vending machine, then running his vouchers through the machine to convince us they were valid, etc. Living very rural, we hardly ever see homeless people. Boy, seeing him (and others) sure left me feeling guilty as I stepped onto a luxurious cruiseship...

You will need to fill out luggage tags, much like airlines have, prior to checking in your bags. They're near the baggage check-in counter.

If you're coach class, the nearest waiting area to the seat-assignment agent booth is on the left, near the exit door to the tracks. When the agent comes in you can line up for your seating assignment. We saw him go to his booth, and got in line then. We were first, but it wasn't like there was a mad-dash or anything.

Business class is the same, except on the right. You'll be glad you have BC upon arrival in Vancouver... we were CC, and had a wait to get through customs. Otherwise, I was happy with CC, and even the wait wasn't too awful long.

Breakfast is just ok in the dining car, we had an omlette and fixin's. It was $8 something, costly, but we didn't go away hungry. DH and I thought we'd split a breakfast platter, but if you sit in the dining car, you must order a minimum of $8pp.

You will want to get to the dining car early, or get your name on the list asap or you're likely to have quite a wait... very limited seating. Perhaps BC gets a priority perk here?

There is a snack bar but we didn't purchase from it.

I'd take Amtrak Cascades again anytime, and probably even have breakfast in the dining car. It's plenty enough to tide a person over until embarkation and late lunch/early supper, my opinion.

My mom & I are doing this in Sept....we will leave on a friday.....we are staying the the airport....I noticed that the station opens at 6 and everything starts about 6:30 AM so I guess will will try and leave about 5:30AM.

I understand the seattle station is being renovated>??? How messy is it?? and is there a place for COFFEE?? i assume so, hey we are in seattle after all....

we booked coach class...mainly to save money so we can eat in the dining car....

thanks for the pointers about sitting on the left/west side...knowing me i would have screwed that up!

any other tips??? / we love train travel and had it been cheaper for a compartment we would have trained it across the USA! BUT we are jet-bluing instead!

I understand the seattle station is being renovated>??? How messy is it?? and is there a place for COFFEE?? i assume so, hey we are in seattle after all....

we booked coach class...mainly to save money so we can eat in the dining car....

I think you'll be perfectly happy with coach, we were, the main difference is the wait to exit the train at Vancouver. For no longer of a ride than it is from Seattle to Vancouver, the seats in coach were quite comfortable.

The renovation process in the station wasn't creating a mess when we were there. The original ceiling portion which can be seen is very ornate, and it'll be very nice when it's back original.

As for coffee, I don't recall seeing coffee offered in the station, but, none of us are coffee drinkers, so I didn't really take note. Perhaps you'll want to get some at your hotel or make a stop prior to arriving at the train station?

It's a great transfer!!!

My wife and I are riding this train in a couple of weeks. Do I understand correctly that seats are assigned on this train? We are in business class. It is not first come, first serve? You have to get an assigned seat? Thanks for the info.

My wife and I are riding this train in a couple of weeks. Do I understand correctly that seats are assigned on this train? We are in business class. It is not first come, first serve? You have to get an assigned seat? Thanks for the info.

I can speak for coach only, as that's all we've used. However, there is a business class seat assignment booth adjoining the seat assignment booth for coach class passengers.

Seats were assigned by lining up at the seat assignment booth, and that was first come, first serve. We were given 'tickets' by that agent, showing our seat number. This ticket is then placed overhead above the seats in a small 'pocket'. The conductor then used those to make sure people were seated where assigned.

It's really not bad. Once you get your seat assignment, you're free to sit down and wait until boarding is called for.

• 2 weeks later...

The great thing about business class is you're the first to be allowed to disembark in Vancouver (this is regulated due to the need to pick up your own luggage and go through customs at the station). First off the train means you'll get first crack at the taxis waiting outside the station. Didn't seem that there were very many, so I imagine there were some long waits for most of the Cascades passengers. (Can't say for sure.)

The great thing about business class is you're the first to be allowed to disembark in Vancouver (this is regulated due to the need to pick up your own luggage and go through customs at the station). First off the train means you'll get first crack at the taxis waiting outside the station. Didn't seem that there were very many, so I imagine there were some long waits for most of the Cascades passengers. (Can't say for sure.)

But it's also simple to just walk over and take Skytrain. Very valid point about the cabs probably.

If you want to occupy yourself with touring Vancouver, it's a great city, and the train is the most scenic transfer. A one way car rental has big pluses if you want to get into Seattle earlier, plus all the freedom to stop along the way.

Yes there is bag storage in Canada Place. I would not waste valuable Vancouver touring time, going back and forth to the depot- not near Canada Place.

budget queen you are so so helpful, i really do appreciate your input. I can give advise in the tropics with the best of them, but when it comes to that side of the country I am dumb as a rock. Which would you recommend us doing. There will be 8 of us which means 2 cars. Thanks again

But it's also simple to just walk over and take Skytrain. Very valid point about the cabs probably.
Ahh, I didn't know there was a Skytrain station nearby. We needed to get to the Ballantyne dock so this wouldn't have helped us, but it's useful info for those going to Canada Place.

Archived