NO WHOLE MILK on Carnival

bambilin

Hi, I tired to search to see if this is on here already. I am sure it must be but I am a little challenged on the baords. LOL

Just wanted everyone bringing babies on Carnival know that they no longer carry whole milk at all, and you cannot even request it as a Special Need.

Originally cusotmer service told me they had it on all ships but after the 4th perosn returned and told me 2%, skim or chocolate milk only, I called and was put throught o special needs and adminsitration at it was confirmed no whole milk but you are welcome to bring your own on baord and they will keep it cold.

I am shocked! I know the baby can live a week on 2% but that isn't the point. And can you imagine carrying a week's worth of milk on a plane in the luggage compartment? LOL

Anyway, so much for Family Friendly!!

Linda

Sorry you were disappointed. In five cruises with the kiddos, I guess I never really thought that much about it when we realized that they didn't carry whole milk. To my knowledge, they haven't carried whole milk in quite some time, at least the past six years (maybe longer). For us, it wasn't a big deal. The kids just drank 2% that week and didn't seem to notice a difference. Despite this issue, I think you will find that CCL is a very family friendly cruise line. We've cruised with them 10 times (with and without kids) and been very pleased with their service and accommodations. I hope you enjoy your cruise nonetheless!

But 12/07 will be the first time since I had my baby.

I sailed in 11/05 and on NCL in 05/06 and they both still have whole milk.

It won't be an issue in 12/07 because Dillon will be almost 3, but had we decided on Carnival for 11/05 it might have been a problme as we had just taken him off formula and put him on whole milk. At 12 months they really need the whole milk.

I was just very surpised.

You can push the switch to whole milk past 12 months - maybe keep the baby on formula or a mix with the 2% while on the cruise. A week on 2% wont be bad either. A 12 month child should be drinking less than 24 OZ per day of whole milk (or any dairy milk), otherwise you risk iron deficiency. If a child drinks too much milk, they won't eat other nutritious foods that have iron (milk does not).

A child under 2 does need whole milk, but a week will be OK. He will make up the calorie deficiency with something else. It's about 120 calories per day of fat based on 24 oz. of whole milk versus 2%.

You will find that many restaurants also do not carry whole milk

Don't worry and enjoy your cruise!

Depends on the child and the pediatrician. I was told not to give my daughter whole milk as a baby, only 2% milk, because she was lactose sensitive and we were trying to avoid her becoming lactose intolerant.

The 2% milk did not cause her any harm.

Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions. We are going to be OK for our Carnival Cruise because wehn we travel Dillon will be almost 3 and of course 2% is fine. I only posted this threat because I was so surprised by the news and since I had such a hard time confirming it with Carnival (was told by many people at carnival not true not true) I just wanted famlieis planning to travel with very little ones to be aware!

When my son was 11 months we sailed on RCCL. My pedatrician had told me it was oK to take him off formula early (he could not tolerate the powder and I was dreading carrying the premix formula for a week) as he was doing just fine and he suggested which vitamin to add since we were switching him to milk early. It would have been a big surprise had we chosen to sail on Carnival then instead when we got on board and found out they didn't have whole milk anymore.

Wasn't trying to steer anyone away from Carnival, just trying to keep people informed!! :0)

We sail on the NCL Jewel 12/3/06 and then on the Carnival Elation on 12/3/07!

Linda

I have never been on Canival but I wanted to throw this option out there for other parents who do and want to take whole milk, we took shelf stable parmalat whole milk with us. I had never noticed it in the stores around here but was told to pick some up before our cruises out of Florida...and I noticed that most stores do sell it there.

It doesn't need to be refrigerated until its opened. So we packed a couple containers in our luggage.

Hi there CruisinMama06,

You are right about the shelf stable milk, we always travel with some in case we are in a pinch, and it is great. I am sure one could get it in Miami or wherever, but when you take the transfers from Carnival, you can't get the bus driver to stop at the store. :0)

Hey, where there is a will there is a way, right?

Happy Cruisn'

Linda

my son was allergic to dairy and his sister never liked milk, so neither drank any milk (whole or skim) while growing up (they were breastfed until 18M). They are now 5 and 7 and they are growing up normally developmental-wise. I think your child will be fine with 2% milk for a week, even if they need whole milk. The only thing I would be worried about is if they don't like the taste of 2% milk and therefore refusing to drink it. There are so many other food options on the ship that whole milk doesn't have to be the key source of iron, Vitamin D, calcium, and fatty acids. I know lots of cakes and desserts are made with heavy cream, feed some of that to your children if you are worried about the lack of fats derived from whole milk.

Hi there CruisinMama06,

You are right about the shelf stable milk, we always travel with some in case we are in a pinch, and it is great. I am sure one could get it in Miami or wherever, but when you take the transfers from Carnival, you can't get the bus driver to stop at the store. :0)

Hey, where there is a will there is a way, right?

Happy Cruisn'

Linda

That's why you should fly in the day before the cruise...to get some milk...lol. :p

There are so many other food options on the ship that whole milk doesn't have to be the key source of iron, Vitamin D, calcium, and fatty acids. I know lots of cakes and desserts are made with heavy cream, feed some of that to your children if you are worried about the lack of fats derived from whole milk.

Merela,

Just an FYI ......Milk is not a significant source of iron.

The fats provided by whole milk are good for brain development but have to be balanced with iron rich foods which also are important for brain development. In the US, would you believe we that iron defiecency is a major problem? It's due to too much milk in 12 to 36 month children.

Cruiseinmama,

I forget about the shelf stable milk - It is great and I've traveled with it also. It is also a good choice if you buy milk in the islands or Mexico. You can't be sure about their pasteurization or refrigeration of fresh milk.....the Parmalot (or other brands) is great!

No restaurants in my area have whole milk, so I wasn't surprised when there wasn't at Carnival.

I never blinked twice about her not having whole milk for a short period of time. It's better then not having milk at all.. She gets plenty of whole milk at home. Just back from the TRIUMPH and had a great time :)

Just to throw in my 2 cents, neither of my 2 daughters were ever on whole milk. They went straight from formula to 2%. My doctor said if they are over 50 percentile in weight and height, there is no need to feed them whole milk.

I would not worry about not having whole milk for a week.:)

We sailed on Royal Caribbean in 11/05 when our son was 11 months old. They have whole milk and they still do, I checked once I found out about Carnival's policies.

Everyone is right of course that the babies wuld be fine for a week on 2% but my pediatrician prefers we keep him on whole milk, and he is tall but very slim and we would prefer to do the same. It wouldn't stop me from sailing as I have siad, but I like to know ahead of time what to expect!!

Linda

• 1 month later...

The only difference between 2% and whole milk is the amount of fat, ie they have the same amount of every other nutrient. As a registered dietitian I would only be concerned if your child was underweight. We are only talking about 1 week, on a cuise, where fatty foods are abundant. If you are concerned talk to you pediatritian or local RD.

Don't worry about it. What we call "whole milk" is really more like 3% milk. The difference between it and 2% is minimal.

When my kids were toddlers, my pediatrition told me to use whole milk, and I did; the extra fat is important for building the synapses in their nervous system. But a child who's getting a good diet on a regular basis won't be harmed by a week of 2% milk.

• 2 months later...
Hi, I tired to search to see if this is on here already. I am sure it must be but I am a little challenged on the baords. LOL

Just wanted everyone bringing babies on Carnival know that they no longer carry whole milk at all, and you cannot even request it as a Special Need.

Originally cusotmer service told me they had it on all ships but after the 4th perosn returned and told me 2%, skim or chocolate milk only, I called and was put throught o special needs and adminsitration at it was confirmed no whole milk but you are welcome to bring your own on baord and they will keep it cold.

I am shocked! I know the baby can live a week on 2% but that isn't the point. And can you imagine carrying a week's worth of milk on a plane in the luggage compartment? LOL

Anyway, so much for Family Friendly!!

Linda

There is whole milk available on RCCL and you can get it in Windjammer, Diningroom, room service, etc. :) At least there was this fall.

Archived