It's not technically formal, but what do you think?

aring75

I absolutely LOVE this dress. The color is perfect for me. I have medium auburn hair and fair skin, so I really want this dress. I know it's not really a "formal" dress, per se, but what about second formal night? Do you think it would be okay, or should I save it for a night at a specialty restaurant? Any thoughts?

Here's the link.

By the way...I'll probably buy it no matter what, LOL! I'm just up in the air as to whether or not I should take it on the cruise. :p

Thanks so much!!

I think it's very pretty, I love the deep green color.

I actually think it does look formal enough for both of the cruises you have listed. I'm not of the belief that a formal dress (on a cruise ship) has to be long. Sometimes I see what I consider to be long sundresses that are passed off as formal. The material of this dress (silk), the color and the details (satin tie) make it what I would consider to be a cocktail dress. It would work for semi-formal as well.

i love that dress. and it will look gorgeous with auburn hair. I think it will be just fine for a formal night. If you are cold natured, however, get a wrap of some kind. i always tend to be chilly with bare shoulders on formal nights. but, i tend to always be cold :D

I think it would be perfect for formal night. even though the cruisleines call it "formal night" for the most part it is not black tie (except for Cunard) though you will see a few dressed black tie.

Many women wear cocktail dresses and yes you also see women dressed in what we used to call "church dress" on formal night. Many men just wear a suit and not a tux.

I hope it's "formal enough," since I wore something that looked just like it last fall for 2nd formal night on a 7-day RCCL cruise! Mine was hunter green velvet and had a rhinestone accent at the center of the ruched empire waistline, but the shape was the same. I wore black strappy shoes and rhinestone chandelier earrings. Enjoy!

aring75....Beautiful Dress. I was recently on the Carnival Pride out of LA and this dress would've been dressier than most on formal night. I think the Californians are much more relaxed about formal night on ships. I wore a cocktail dress our 2nd formal night and felt very 'at ease' with the rest of the pax on the ship. Not too many long dresses any more! Fine by me!!! To each their own...makes it more fun to people watch:D .

I've worn a cocktail dress to a formal night on Celebrity Infinty in Alaska and felt just as dressed up and more so than other female pax. I don't think you can point to any region and say it's because it was here (OK, maybe Galveston ;) ). You have to remember that people on a large cruise ship are from all over the world. You might find more from CA on Carnival Pride, but then you may find more from Miami on a Caribbean cruise. I read the same statements regarding casual clothes from all areas.

Until you get into the higher end of fashion, most people are buying the same clothes. I've been to malls on both sides of the country and you will find the same stores and the same clothes in all of them.

I agree! Great dress for your coloring (I've got similar coloring - brown hair with some red highlights, hazel eyes, freckles - therefore an "Autumn") so I would wear that color too! I think gold strappy shoe would be in order (this year is not the year to be looking for gold shoes that are not strappy - at least in my area :mad:, as I am looking for a pair. My sis was joking that they will most likely come into the stores Oct. 1 - the day after I want to wear them!!!:eek: ).

Really pretty dress - love the swishy skirt! It's what I call a dancing dress & IMO absolutely dressy enough for formal night on your cruises. How about some vintage jewelry? Any antique shops nearby?

On formal nights you're gonna see ladies in gowns & the "good stuff", long formals with rhinestones, cocktail dresses with strappies, black pants with sparkly tops, all the way to sundresses with a little wrap.

Have a great time. :)

Archived